SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdcstrang

Bracing Undermount SS Sink AFTER Install?

10 years ago

I had a Caesarstone countertop installed yesterday. I just was about to take out to the recycling the cardboard box that the ss undermount sink came in when I heard something rattling inside. It was the brackets and screws. That concerned me. So I read the Installation guide, that was also still in the box, and verified that they are supposed to be used. I then (wish I had done this BEFORE the install....) did an internet search on how undermount sinks are supposed to be installed.

First of all, it doesn't appear that a plywood base was applied. Secondly, the only thing holding the sink in place appears to be the epoxy and four pieces of 2 x 1 wood around the perimeter (but not the entire perimeter) of the sink. They are glued (epoxied?) to the stone. No screws or anything like that anywhere to be seen. They did properly temporarily secure the sink from above.

From what I have read here on GW, I think I should be worried about the sink holding on for more than a few years. Also worried about the unsupported counter elsewhere in the kitchen. Now, it is a small kitchen, so the longest span of unsupported counter is 57" x 23". Should I be worried about that as well?

The only thing comforting me is the fact that my prior countertop which was laminate also was not supported by plywood, so maybe my concern about unsupported caesarstone elsewhere in the kitchen is unjustified. But I am still concerned about the sink.

So - any advice anyone? Is there anything that I can do, or have done PROFESSIONALLY, to rectify this sink situation?

Ugh. Why can't anything ever just be simple? And I really wish I had researched beforehand how this is supposed to be done. Mea culpa...

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (10)