SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

How do I cover up shims with 4.5in toe kick panel?

raehelen
15 years ago

OK,

We're finally nearing the end of this friggin kitchen reno. Christmas 08 here we come!

My question is - DH installed the cabinets- he had to shim them to level the tops for the granite. I know lots of people have uneven floors and have to shim their cabinets... But now that we're ready to install the toe kick panels that were provided... they are only 4.5" high, and the end of the peninsula has been shimmed up .5" so that the bottom of the cabinet is now 5" from the floor. DH says I have to find some kind of base molding and stain and varnish it. ARgghh...one of the reasons we installed the Tigerwood flooring first was to avoid molding!

So, most of the cabinets are only shimmed a fraction of an inch- the end of the peninsula is the worst, and is half an inch off the ground. Could we install the toe kick panel to the floor, and cheat by inserting a sliver of panel up on top? Even if I had to fill and stain that tiny section on my tummy, that'd be way less work than staining and varnishing molding for the whole kitchen, let alone I'm not thrilled with the idea or the look!

I know I am not the only person with an uneven floor! What have others done?

BTW, our cabinets have pre-finished toe kicks, the panel is to make them all continuous, so even if the toe kick panel didn't reach exactly to the top in some areas, it would be the same colour behind it.

Comments (6)