SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhometara

What finish for cabinet hardware - pulls/etc

oldhometara
16 years ago

I've searched the forum and found some posts but am still confused! I need to decide on the finish for the hardware on my new kitchen cabinets. Do I choose nickel or chrome? And do I choose polished, satin or brushed? Which finish goes with what and which holds up better?

I've checked this forum and the FKBlog and see lots of kitchens similar to mine but usually the postings don't say the hardware finish, or maybe say "chrome" but not whether they're polished, brushed, etc.

Here's a description of my kitchen: Old house, new kitchen with an old feel to it. Most of the cabinets are painted white, a few are dark cherry stained. Countertops will be a mix of carrara marble and gray stone (either soapstone or pietra cardoza). I'll have polished chrome faucets, 2 sinks (main is Herbeau fireclay and the other is Ticor stainless prep sink), and a subzero fridge and small wine fridge - both are stainless steel will NOT have cabinetry panel covering the fronts. Haven't decided on light fixtures, although Resto Hardware has a nice chandelier in "antiqued silver" and I've also seen pix of some mercury glass pendant lights I'd like to consider for the island. Overall feel of the kitchen is like the often mentioned "something's gotta give" movie kitchen.

I don't mind mixing finishes, and was thinking I might put ORB on the dark cabinets so they'll just blend in. But for all the white cabs, do I choose chrome or nickel, and polished, brushed, satin, etc.?

Please help, I don't want to make a mistake!

Thank you.

Comment (1)