SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashik_gw

Backpainted glass backsplash

ashik
11 years ago

Who has done this? Are you happy? How long ago? Cost?

Comments (34)

• ashik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are you in USA? Seems more common in Europe and Australia! One guy is coming to give me an estimate but is forewarning me that it is very expensive. I haven't started looking at anything as I have had my heart set on this scenario. Do you have any pictures of your kitchen? I would love to see it!
    I haven't been able to find anyone else yet who is familar with the process. The guy who is coming owns a glass store.

• Related Discussions

Una domanda per Giacomo_it

Q

Comments (4)
    I fount out he can do it, but is pretty expensive I can give you his phone number... write me an email click my page. Have you consider a nice contemporary grey tile?
    ...See More

Textured backpainted glass backsplash

Q

Comments (1)
    I haven't seen the textured glass painted back, but I have seen just regular glass and it looked very beautiful.
    ...See More

I spoke up to avoid years of regret

Q

Comments (7)
    GOOD FOR YOU! It can be so hard to stand up for what we want. Don't worry about the electrician. He will get over it. I had to have some electrical boxes uncovered because the main electrician was confused and thought I did not want outlets inside my built ins..Lack of communication! The guys had to come back and change it. I made a little joke that it is people like me that keep our electricians and our general contractors busy. And one electrician said "Well, it keeps me employed." I laughed and thanked them for helping to make my kitchen great. You will be happy with your kitchen the way you want it. And a happy customer shares to everyone how much they love what they did and why. I am sure your electrician was put out. But, you will let him know how truly happy you are. Good for you that you are getting what you want even if it ended up being a bit more than you planned. ~boxer
    ...See More

Suggestions for glass backsplash colors

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Kariyava. Still deciding, so thanks for your suggestion. Savu, I already have the installer, just need to tell them what color to backpaint the glass with.
    ...See More
  • ajc71
    11 years ago

I have installed several of them, very expensive and a not very straightforward project. Make sure that the glass guy has done this work before!

We made full sized templates, cutting in the outlets and around the hood on the template...and left approx 1/8" gap all around to allow for any movement etc...

I think they look great when done, make sure you request samples before ordering

• decolisa
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm in the US. I didn't realize this type of backsplash was so unusual. I had never seen it in person or in magazines, but I thought that was because it probably wasn't "in" not that it was uncommon. Later on, I saw a few painted backsplashes in some of the European cabinet showrooms.

My thought was, "Why have glass tile if you can just have glass?" Silly me, I thought a single sheet would be easier than multiple tiles. It didn't even dawn on me at the time that it might be more expensive. I had some unusual angles in my kitchen, and a single sheet seemed the best way to get a contemporary, simple look. As I mentioned, I probably got lucky with my contractor.

I really love the look. The backsplash is one thing that people comment on a lot when they see the kitchen. In fact several people instinctively reach out to touch it--I guess to see if it's real.

I'm hoping to upload correctly, but I remember failing at this in the past which is why I never posted my finished kitchen.

If this doesn't work, you can email me and I'll send a better picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Glass Backsplash

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I really wanted to do this - but our old walls just were not designed for this - and I couldn't decide on a color. It is popular in Europe.

• ashik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Decolisa - thanks so much for sharing your kitchen. It is beautiful! It was hard to determine - what color did you paint the glass?

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Decolisa what a pretty kitchen. The mix of wood, stainless and glass is so attractive.

Photobucket makes it easy for you to post a photo to gardenweb. In the little box to the right of your picture, just click on the field next to HTML code. It will change to "Copied". Then paste what's been copied into a post here.

Here's your picture:

{{!gwi}}

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

I agree this is lovely. I wanted something like this, but it is prohibitive given the space I have.

Decolisa, $500 for 50 square feet sounds too good to be true, I do not see what appears to be 50 sq ft in the picture, was there more?

• decolisa
    11 years ago

@ashik
    The glass is not colored, and the back is painted white.

@detroit_burb

You are right, it isn't 50 square feet...oops. It's about 15 sq feet, $500 as a contract line item.

• persimmon3
    11 years ago

decolisa: i am very interested in doing this in my kitchen ... starting demolition january 7th, 2013! my question to you is how easy is it to clean? i see that your stove is not next to it so you don't have food splatter. right now i have stainless steel backsplash next to my stove and it easily cleans up. i don't want to 'scrub' to get it clean. your kitchen is beautiful!

• persimmon3
    11 years ago

decolisa: i am very interested in doing this in my kitchen ... starting demolition january 7th, 2013! my question to you is how easy is it to clean? i see that your stove is not next to it so you don't have food splatter. right now i have stainless steel backsplash next to my stove and it easily cleans up. i don't want to 'scrub' to get it clean. your kitchen is beautiful!

• decolisa
    11 years ago

Happy New Year!

The backsplash is really easy to clean. I just wipe it down with a towel and occasionally a bit of vinegar if I see too many streaks. No scrubbing so far, but maybe I just haven't been that messy yet.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Looking at backpainted glass backsplash and came across several links:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/diy-backpainted-158552
    and especially http://www.glasspaint.com/
    They offer free samples and also post an how-to video
    http://www.glasspaint.com/glass-paint-information/glass-paint-video/

Has anybody ever used this glass paint?

Here is a link that might be useful: glass backsplash

• eleena
    11 years ago

OK, this may be a silly question but why paint the glass if you can paint the wall and use clear glass? This way, if you are tired of the color, it'd be easy to change?

• hartjjtm
    10 years ago

Hi. I am a complete amatuer and wish I had found this site before starting a condo kitchen gut and remodel. I am looking for info on solid glass backsplash-I love all the pics but would like to know how difficult it was to install and how happy you are with it now. The new kitchen has solid bamboo cabinets and granite ct-I designed and my husband did most of the gutting and install (not the granite of course). Love the backpainted glass but our local glass stores have never heard of it and even had me send them links so it will be a DIY job. Just really need info. I will need it on a span of about 7' and then about 9' below the cabinets and microwave shelf. Also about a 1' piece around a corner. Four outlets so I am worried about that those will look like. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I will try to post pics when I get home tonight so you can see what I am working with.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You can also print on glass. We had a thread a while ago about European companies selling digitally backprinted glass BS on Ebay -- which, of course, doesn't help you here in the US. However, if you google tempered glass, you should be able to order it relatively inexpensively from a local company, including them cutting the outlet space.

Google backpainted glass backsplash DIY, and you'll find quite a bit of information.

And for UK and Australian info, google glass "splashback"

Here is a link that might be useful: digital printing on glass

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

@hartjjtm:

â¢Posted by decolisa (My Page) on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 14:31

I did a solid sheet of painted glass as my backsplash when I renovated earlier this year, and I love it. It really is a nice contrast with my cherry and white cabinets (Kashmir white granite.) I believe it was about $500 for 15 sq. feet. I recall that the contractor told me that this has to be done carefully, and that you can't use glue or silicone because it shows through, so it has to be an exact cut in order to self-support. Also, the drywall has to very, very smooth or the imperfections will show through. I already had the walls down to the studs, so the drywall was all part of my overall pricing.
    Now that I know about the prep involved, I could see how an installer might charge more. My contractor had done this type of installation before. I probably benefited from his previous experience, especially in terms of pricing. Since it wasn't unusual to him, I didn't have any additional charges associated with the detail work on the installation.

â¢Posted by ajc71 (My Page) on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 18:06

I have installed several of them, very expensive and a not very straightforward project. Make sure that the glass guy has done this work before!
    We made full sized templates, cutting in the outlets and around the hood on the template...and left approx 1/8" gap all around to allow for any movement etc...

I think they look great when done, make sure you request samples before ordering .

• hartjjtm
    10 years ago

Thank you nosoccermom and canuckplayer. I will look for additional info online-I feel like all I do is google anymore. Thanks!

• r pk
    8 years ago

We used stand off's, film-rather than paint, and textured glass.

• fiasophia
    8 years ago

I just had this installed in my kitchen yesterday and after setting for 5 hours, the glue is showing through. Can this be fixed? It looks like it was installed with a silicone adhesive. Help!

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Pictures? Backpainted Glass? Laminated with a film? More info is needed here.

• fiasophia
    8 years ago

Here are photos of the glue coming through. Its not easy to see with the reflection but it's the circular spots on the glass that are the glue

• millworkman
    8 years ago

What is the catalog number on that tube of silicone? Do you have specs on the glass? What type of paint, etc?

• fiasophia
    8 years ago

The silicone CAT is RTV408. The paint was a Benjamin Moore color but not sure what exactly was used to make the tempered glass.. My sample says HC-172 low iron

• millworkman
    8 years ago

That looks to be the correct silicone for that application, I will poke around when I get a moment and see what I can find out for you. But I will say I doubt you will get that to vanish.

• fiasophia
    8 years ago

Our glass installer called the manufacturer and they recommend that silicone too. It has to disappear. This is so disappointing! Thank you for your help.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Hopefully it does, but I don't know. Please let us know how you make out as I would love to know for the future.

• fiasophia
    8 years ago

The manufacturer said to give it 7 days. My fingers are crossed. Thank you millworkman for your input. I will keep you posted.

• Sarah
    7 years ago

What happened? We are thinking of doing this, and knowing or not whether the adhesive disappears might affect our decision! :)

• frazzlehead
    7 years ago

I'm also curious--fiasophia, did it work out?

• pernille27
    7 years ago

I just installed backpainted plexiglass and the silicone is also showing through. It looks like oil or grease stains. So much work for it to look awful! It's been a week and it hasn't gone away. So I will be ordering new sheets and will install over the others and use trim to fasten instead of glue.

• HU-254063547
    5 years ago

Fiasophia, May I know if the glue eventually vanished after 7 days? If not, what was the solution? I have the same problem.

• fiasophia
    5 years ago

YES!!!! It did, thankfully. The backsplash is beautiful.

• fiasophia
    5 years ago

Sorry, I did not see this sooner but I couldn't be more pleased with the decision to use this for my kitchen. I hope you all get the same results soon.