SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbfromga

1 Big Island or 2 Islands?

cbfromga
15 years ago

Thanks for all your valuable feedback on my other thread "What Would You Do To Makeover This Kitchen?". I wish I would have posted that thread a couple of weeks ago because you all gave me things to think about but, as it is, I'm starting my renovation on Monday and need to make some quick decisions.

No matter what, I'm replacing the current island so... I would appreciate some feedback on having 1 big island or 2 islands. I actually like the look of one big island more but, after toying with the idea, I'm steering more towards 2 islands but, am open to ideas.

The interior of the floor space between the cabinets is roughly 131/2 ft. x 14 1/2 ft. As I see it, I can fit a roughly 6 x 8 ft. rectangle in this space. My triangle is already long with the refrigerator and sink on opposite walls.

Here's a possible one island layout:

With 1 big island, I can get more bar seating if my bar area is parallel to my refrigerator wall. People would then face the keeping room and TV versus facing the cooktop wall and windows. I kind of like that but, I'm not sure about having seating within the interior of the work space of the kitchen.

Also, serving the bar/eating area requires serving from the sides instead of the front as would be with 2 islands where one is a prep island and one a bar island. And, other than the ability to "spread out" when working on big projects (not very often), I lose accessibility to the middle of the island as a work space.

With 2 islands, I have better access to the counter spaces which to me, works better when there is more than 1 cook and I think I have better access to my triangle.

Here'a a 2 island layout:

I am concerned about getting "too busy" with 2 islands fitting into the space. I had thought I could make the center island distinct from the bar island by lifting it 3 or 4 inches off the ground and applying furniture feet that would also match furniture feet applied to the wall cabinets. I would want it to appear as a stand alone piece of furniture--see drawing in link.

I was wondering how you think that might look with a "Christopher Peacock" style bar island.--See pics in link.

I'm swaying towards cream cabinets and chocolate brown or distressed black on the islands. Next---Countertops? I'm planning on some type of granite but, what do you think about a wood countertop on prep island and the same granite on the wall and bar island countertops?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Photos

Comments (28)