SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen1921

What floor with white cabinets and carrara marble-look Corian?

kitchen1921
15 years ago

Hi,

This forum has been invaluable to me as a lurker while I have planned our kitchen renovation.

Our home is a 1921 Arts and Crafts/farmhouse/Victorian hybrid ... it has many elements of all three, but definitely overall leans toward the Arts and Crafts style. I am redoing the kitchen (totally remodeled in 1981, so I'm not ripping out anything vintage!) in off-white shaker style cabinets and carrara-look Corian (color is called Rain Cloud ... I know myself, I would destroy real marble, so Corian it will be, even though it's the same price as marble since it's private collection).

Appliances are stainless steel (mostly Bosch, so not pro-style, very sleek and hopefully unobtrusive). In lieu of upper cabinets we are doing open shelving in most of the kitchen except for one hutch-style prep area. We will have a white fireclay apron-front sink. I'm leaning toward cut glass knobs for the few cabinets and bin pulls for the drawers.

The one thing I haven't picked is the flooring for the kitchen and adjacent breakfast room/butler's pantry ... please help! Here are the parameters:

1. Needs to be able to be installed on top of old vinyl (in good condition, no dips, but U-G-L-Y!).

2. Needs not to clash with the very orange-toned original wormy chestnut floors in the adjacent rooms.

3. Needs to be no-fuss for the same reason I got Corian -- I have two boys, we live in the country and things get messy.

4. Needs to coordinate well with the white cabs and counters ... this is where I'm having trouble!

5. If this matters, the kitchen is the most used entry to the house, with a large gray porch just outside.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward a slate-look high-end vinyl, possibly Armstrong Cushionstep in Amalfi Black. I just worry that the look will be too cold with only white/grey/black ... thoughts?

Also, my husband sent for some samples of ebonized/espresso color wood-look laminate, which I'd love if not for the contrast with the wormy chestnut -- seems like it would just look wrong. But then again, the floor plan is very closed, so you would only see the transition when walking through the doors to the dining room or hallway ... I'm so confused! Please help! :)

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax