SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Do you want to redo every kitchen you see?

debrak2008
10 years ago

I casually look at homes closer to where my DH works. Maybe we would consider moving there in about six years. He would like to cut his commute time.

Every house I look at online I want to gut the kitchen. I try to be reasonable but every one has a layout issue I could not live with. If it is a fixable layout issue such as removing the OTR mw and installing venting then I look at the cabinets and there are no drawers except for utensils. OK install rollouts. Then I look at the cabinet style. I can be flexible with this but if I get this far in my review I usually see that the style is the one style that I absolutely hate. Refacing. Of course the counter top will then be something horrid and at that point I would think it would be better to just gut it and start over.

That area is rural so the choices are limited. I looked at homes for sale in my own neighborhood which is a more upscale community. I looked at the very high end ones hoping those kitchens would be better. Nope. Same issues. Even more frustrating as these are very expensive homes. Who designs these kitchens?

So I feel I am ruined for life. I can never except a bad layout. It doesn't have to be perfect but these kitchens old and new look just slapped together haphazardly. I never see any kitchens that are even close to the ones I see here. I don't mean expensive! Thinking and planning is free. Doesn't appear too many do that.

I'm thinking that we would have to plan for a complete kitchen remodel in any home we would buy.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments (32)