SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mavmomma

Recessing a compost bin in wood counter

mavmomma
15 years ago

I am planning a 30" square butcherblock countertop in my prep area. I plan to finish it with food-safe oil and keep it a food-safe surface.

I would also like to recess a compost pail into the corner of this top. My idea is that I would be able to take the lid off, swoop all my cuttings into the compost, and put the lid back on. Then every day or so, we can just lift the pail out of the counter and take it to our compost outside.

There's two ideas I have for recessing the compost pail (that look "nice"). One is Rev-a-shelf's marketed option. Another is using a restaurant supply soup pot (a takeoff idea from someone here who used a hotel tray in a drawer, for their compost).

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/ProductSeries.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Chrome%20Accessories&Category=Counter%20Mount%20Waste%20Containers&Series=8-060%20Series

http://www.instawares.com/johnson-rose-stainless-steel-bain-marie-6-qt--8-1-4---x-7-1-2---5406.jro-5406.0.7.htm

The rev-a-shelf would actually have a very thin lip above the counter when following their installation instructions. The bain marie (soup pot), I would intend to recess fully with an inset rim in the butcherblock (I hope that makes sense). The rim of the bain marie would then sit on the rim of the butcherblock to "hang" the pail.

The rev-a-shelf comes with a handle to lift the pail. Soup pot does not. Soup pot is waaaaay cheaper. :)

Questions/feedback requested:

- Any ideas for how I could make getting the soup pot out of the counter, easier? I was thinking maybe a hollowed out finger hole on one side... but then that might let "stuff" fall down that area.

- I'm concerned that with either option, I will have gunk/wetness collect near the rim, since I will be sliding stuff across the board and over the rim to get it into the compost pail. Assumably over the long haul this would cause mold or rot in my butcherblock board. Thoughts?

- Anything else I'm not thinking of? I don't see many options for recessed counter compost pails so I'm not sure if I'm doing something smart here. I do know there are "garbage chutes" in butcherblock boards sometimes, but my understanding is those don't have a lid. A compost pail _needs_ a lid.

Would love any clever ideas or solutions that you might have! Thanks.

Comments (10)