SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

When My Sales Skills Fail Potential Customers

I followed up with a lady whose undermount sink had fallen and found out she'd hired someone else who charged 35% less than I do. My otherwise excellent phone skills coaxed his methods out of her. Unfortunately, he reinstalled her failed sink with wood blocks spanning the sink flange and granite, held in place with polyester as an adhesive and mysteriously forbid her the use of the sink for three days. Virtually every sink I reinstall was originally stuck with blocking and polyester; it is an approved method nowhere and guaranteed to fail again. If it fails quickly so much the better; a slow leak can create a nearly catastrophic, and expensive, rod failure.

The sink repair isn't the only failure on this job, I am. Because I was unable to convince this woman my higher priced repair was the best value, she's just set several hundred dollars on fire and endangered her stone. If I wasn't religiously convinced that I am the best possible value for this job, I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. I feel a moral obligation to save customers from themselves and it hurts when I'm unsuccessful.

Successful contractors keep abreast of the latest in tools, methods, and technologies; all worthless without sales skills. Looks like I may need a class.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer