SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

Ikea WARNING - and progress for my latest kitchen renovation

lovetorenovate
9 years ago

I have not been on here lately - although I did post here often for kitchens I renovated in 2007, 2011, and the end of 2013. I'm in the midst of another kitchen renovation for an investment property and was planning to do another ikea kitchen. I have not seen any posts on here - so perhaps it's been discussed... but ikea is a mess these days. With their discontinuation of AKURUM and move to a new kitchen system my ikea has some dramatic shortages on items. They are understaffed and their entire ordering process is a nightmare (the kitchen design tool is awful as has been mentioned numerous times, but then the conversion to a list and then input into their inventory system to find out they do not have nor will they get the items in the design is excruciating). So this is just a warning I guess - if you want an ikea kitchen - you may want to wait.

Here's my progress so far. Small 50's ranch house, we removed a wall between the kitchen and dining room. Relocated the fridge, sink, and stove. We were not able to remove all the doorways in the room, although we did eliminate one - there were previously 4 doorways in this 9'x11' space.

The kitchen was so small, it was nearly impossible to get a before shot:

this cabinet was freestanding:

wall removal:

electrician working:

drywall:

cabinets to assemble:

last night (the peninsula cabinets are not set yet - but will be put in place when my hardwood guy is finished:

The bad news is that I have NO cabinet doors. I am trying to turn this property pretty quickly (would like tenants in by early Dec) so I don't think I want to order all the doors from Scherrs or another company and for me to finish them - although that's still an option I may have to consider. I'm heading back to Ikea to try to find a few doors in stock within the southeast region but I'm not entirely optimistic.

I had planned a Lidingo kitchen with grey lower cabinets and white uppers - but there are 4 or more doors that I cannot get at all - they tell me they "may" get more delivered but they have no idea when, what they'll get or how I can get them. I'm "on my own" to finish the kitchen. So perhaps I'll just get what I can at Ikea and order the remaining doors from Scherrs and try to finish them to match. It's a bit of a nightmare. I was also really disappointed that they have no 24'" domsjo sinks (and will not get any more)... and had to redesign the kitchen.

I do love how quick an ikea kitchen goes together, how easy the cabinets are to level and hang, how great the drawers, hardware, and soft close features work... I guess I"m disappointed they are overhauling the entire system - it's going to make it more difficult to replace parts on the ikea kitchens and that was one of the huge selling points to me initially - you could swap out the doors for a new look anytime you wanted to. :-(

Comments (13)