SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dijon482

Cabinet Conundrum: Always Function over Form?

Dijon482
9 years ago

Hello, I am brand new to these forums, putting in a new kitchen. This is our first experience with any type of home renovation.

All of the cabinet features my husband and I want are available in the Diamond line at Lowes, but the exact look we want is available in the American Woodmark line at HD.

I know that the look should be secondary to the functionality, BUT, the house is open concept with a split foyer and the cabinets are the first thing people see as they come up the stairs. They will be in sight from all angles at all times. I've never had an open concept main floor before, and I've also never had any of the convenient features offered by the Diamond line. Since I can't really miss a feature I've never had, and since I'll be looking at these cabinets all the time, would it make sense to choose the look we like best, foregoing some of the features?

If it helps, the main features I'm referring to are the three drawer corner cabinet and the message center. Are these features worthwhile? Is one of these lines so far superior to the other that the choice should be simple? Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Comments (11)