SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

Need help choosing among three options

worldmom
15 years ago

A bunch of you have helped me so much with modifying my layout, and I hope I don't drive you all crazy asking for your input yet again.

I feel like we have a really good basic layout. Yes, it could be better if money weren't an issue, but it is. ;o) So, I need some input on these three options. For each one, there's a layout and the related elevations. I'll include all four wall views with the first one, but only the ones that show changes in the other two options.

Pros

Laundry room passage is symmetrical

Fridge wall wraps around for a more open look

Cooktop cabinets are adequate size for my needs

Entry corner (garage and back doors) has ample clearance (note that garage door will swing into garage, not into kitchen)

Cons

There may not be enough space for wall oven given that clearance is needed along pocket door wall

Wall ovens are not in the most user-friendly location
{{gwi:1970696}}From Last Import

North wall (not drawn on plan because we aren't sure of design just yet)

{{gwi:1970697}}From Last Import

South wall

{{gwi:1970698}}From Last Import

East wall

{{gwi:1970699}}From Last Import

West wall

{{gwi:1970700}}From Last Import

Pros (I'll be honest that this is my favorite layout, except for the laundry room issue)

Moving the wall ovens onto the fridge wall gives me a baking center. I bake a lot, and so do my older kids.

As with option #1, I keep adequate counter/cab space around my cooktop

Cons

Laundry "room" entries won't align

Less open look

Interference of seating in front of wall ovens, although I can decrease length of island to compensate. The island is current 7' long, and I could easily knock off a foot.
{{gwi:1970701}}From Last Import

West wall

{{gwi:1970702}}From Last Import

South wall

From Last Import

Pros

I keep the open look

Laundry room doors are aligned

Wall ovens make sense with cooktop

Cons

Lose baking center

Lose counter and cabinet space around cooktop

Have to move cabinets down toward entry corner. (42" opening from corner to corner - maybe that's OK? I'm not sure. I reduced the depth of the hutch and also kept tall, 24" deep cabs/appliances away from the doors)
{{gwi:1970704}}From Last Import

West wall

{{gwi:1970705}}From Last Import

So, as I said above, #2 is my personal favorite as far as the kitchen part goes, but I'm worried that the laundry door issue will bother me. That certainly wouldn't be our primary entry into the kitchen, and I would imagine most of the time the doors will be closed, but I don't know. Maybe if I put some shelves on the L-shaped wall, it would look more intentional?

Anyone want to weigh in? :o)

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living