SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cece1213

Help, my new white lacquer cabinets are peeling!

cece1213
9 years ago

Hello,
We reno'd our kitchen 1.5 years ago and installed custom inset white cabinets made by a local cabinet maker. They are lacquer, and I'm not exactly sure of which kind of lacquer, but I do know it was sprayed on. They looked beautiful at first, soft satiny finish, but unfortunately they are not wearing well at all. Even within a few months after installation, I started noticing little chips around the sharp corners where the grooves in the door panel are, which is an area with minimal wear. And of course now as time has gone by, with changes in weather/humidity, wear and tear, the lacquer around the sink, trash pull out, and other areas is cracking and peeling and breaking off in large shards. This is happening even in areas without direct water contact. I contacted the cabinet maker and he said I could bring him the door panels and he would re-spray them for me, but it seems this will continually happen. Also, some of the peeling is occurring in the frame so obviously I can't bring that to him. I am so disappointed because otherwise I love the cabinets, but every time I see a new shard of paint on the floor that has flaked off, it breaks my heart.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem? Does this have to do with the way this particular cabinetmaker finishes his cabinets? Maybe I should've gone with a factory made brand who might've done something different so that the paint would be more durable. And is there anything I can do to fix this (e.g. sand everything down and repaint with a different material? Anything less drastic?)

Thanks for any responses.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES