SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

LED lights and ceiling fixture questions for small kitchen

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

I bought a 15" round stainless steel brushed nickel and chrome (had all three in it) semi-flush fixture that I like a lot and I have an electrician coming tomorrow to give me a price.

I am also wondering if I should add a few LED lights in addition to the fixture or instead of the fixture? My kitchen is only 10 X 14.

I have 6500K daylight bulbs right now in my ugly fluorescent light that is giving much better light than the other ones I had that I have no idea what K rating they were. My new lamp takes 300 equivalent watts of CFL bulbs or incandescent light bulbs.

I put a CFL recessed screw-in bulb on a small lamp that I have been turning upside down to see if they make my tiles more gray. I feel in love with the tiles at a neighbors home that had halogen track lighting that really made the tiles beautiful and I guess I have a fear they will be more gray and not the ivory in them that I am seeing now. When I had then spread out on the floor I liked them a lot so maybe the yellow old linoleum floor around the few I have on the floor right now is making them more gray. I think the LED lights is bringing out the beige in the tile.

I just love the very clean and not glaring light that the LED is giving. But it says it is a soft white 2600K bulb like the incandescents that made my tiles more gray but the LED is not glaring and such a nice light that it may not be the same light color at all. Or I can go with a few CFL cans and change the bulbs to whatever K spectrum color I like?

I have two very bright halogen lights over my gas range right now that gives perfect light. I have a recessed light over the sink that gives a nice light also. Do LED lights give a whiter light than incandescents?

Any suggestions?

So should I just put in the central fixture as I planned and later on add a few LED lights under-cabinets or use my fixture for the dining room and do 6 LED lights? Or do a combination of both?

Comments (16)