SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolml_gw

advise needed on drainboard cut into granite

carolml
11 years ago

I was at the fabricator's today while they cut the first piece of my granite (quartzite, actually). It was very exciting to finally see it happening! I asked them about cutting a simple sloped drain board into the stone on one side of the clean-up sink. Seems like a practical idea and they look nice. While I was told it could be done, I was advised against it for the following reason: my quartzite was brushed, so most of the resin and some of the sealer will have been removed, making the stone more porous. Water could be absorbed into the stone changing the colour in that area. I actually have a graphic example of that because the stone has been outside for the last many months. Since moving it in to template a week ago, the colour has lightened a lot. Nevertheless, it seems to me that we would have less water sitting on a drain board, because it slopes into the sink than if I was to put wet dishes directly on the counter. So, is this a valid reason not yo do the drain board or are they just trying to get out of it. I have to let them know soon.
Thanks!

Comments (5)