SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corky1_2008

Is SS / Granite the new shag carpet and avocado green?

corky1_2008 Harris
15 years ago

I am just starting the process of remodeling my house which will include a major kitchen remodel. I am on a limited budget and am interested in the latest trends. Granite and SS has been around for awhile and is seeming old to me.

Comments (47)

• neesie
    15 years ago

In my opinion you shouldn't get them, you seem to not like them anyways. Besides, you are on a limited budget and the items you mentioned aren't cheap!!!

• sue36
    15 years ago

Since they've both been around 20+ years I think they are past "new". Why get the latest trend? The latest is probably the ORB/copper looking appliances. IMO they are the harvest gold of the future.

• Related Discussions

Dupont's new Sorona carpet

Q

Comments (155)
    Carpetgirl, We have bought a 10 yr old house and are changing all of the flooring before we move in. Our first major challenge is selecting carpet and this thread has been sooo helpful in understanding the options! We are definitely going with SmartStrand and we want the saxony plush. We expect to be a "shoes off" house with no pets but several young grandchildren. Kind of wanting the more formal look of the pile cut but don't want to end up with a fuzzy mess in 5 years, so we are willing to spend a little more on the best quality Smart Strand. We have found the following examples of this style in SmartStrand and are looking for the most dense, highest twist. Each dealer provides different information and it has been really difficult to compare. We have narrowed it down to: Horizon New Sensations and Alexander Smith Kingsley Palace. They have the EXACT colors with different names but the Kingsley Palace carpet appears to have a longer fiber. I don't have the face weight or twist ## to compare. Can you tell me which product is considered to be higher quality..Horizon or Alexander Smith? Not much information about Alexander Smith out there, though lots of great history lessons about the company. (We also looked at Karastan's Enviable and to our untrained eyes and fingers, it did not seem as dense and cushy as these others.) We sure would appreciate any information you have on this..we have reached a brick wall in our research and we need to make a selection this week and move on to paint colors! Arghhhh. Thanks!
    ...See More

Down to two granite choices--Opinions, please!

Q

Comments (20)
    I like both granites and both cabinet stains, but have to agree that the Uba Tuba is livelier and more interesting. The Tropical Brown is very nice, but will be low key and monochromatic in your kitchen. So what do you see as being your kitchen's eye-catcher? With Tropical Brown, you can have (might need) a busy backsplash and killer light fixtures. If you go with the brown granite, I think I prefer the darker cabinet stain since it's a more consistent monochromatic look. Then for your accents, play with textures and shapes more than colors? With the Uba Tuba, your kitchen could take more dramatic accents, but wouldn't necessarily need them. If you go with the green, I'd probably choose the lighter cabinets just to pick up on the golden tones, then accent with brilliant golden yellow and/or red. The slate's a great floor in either case -- but be prepared for the huge color variation. (Or to pay substantially more for slate that's more consistently colored.)
    ...See More

Help! Bar Keepers friend not so friendly to SS

Q

Comments (80)
    The warning label is actually pretty good. It nicely summarizes exactly what you need to know. The SDS is more detailed and fun to read, if you are into that kind of thing. But most consumers don't need that. I agree that the letters are small, and that can be problem. But there simply is so much information that they want to give and only relatively little space. If in doubt, you should assume that any cleaning supplies are potentially harmful. More often than not, that's probably true. If that isn't good enough and you really need to read everything, I have found my cell phone to be much more useful than a magnifying glass. Take a picture and then zoom in. Or even better, look at the picture on your computer screen. Then you can make all the letter really big.
    ...See More

Selling. Should we replace laminate with granite?

Q

Comments (46)
    You need to upgrade for your area. I am on my second house with ubatuba after a house with a lighter color, and it is a pretty low maintainence granite. I love granite, and despite HGTV's predicted obsolencence (by people who's livelihood requires you to change out your design frequently btw), I do not agree that other emerging materials provide better performance and beauty for the price. Laminates are not heat resistant; tile has grout staining; concrete is was too trendy, and must be done right; and quartz/silestone look a lot like corian (dated). Granite tiles look cheap, and I wold not pay one cent more when offering. I believe granite slab will at least return it's cost every time as long as the designer isn't color blind ... You also need to at least certile the floors, and maybe do some cabinet coat and/or some wall texture - all very inexpensive and possibly DIY with a little bit of artistic ability...
    ...See More
  • guy_in_newhouse
    15 years ago

reminds me of: "They say that a democracy is the worst form of government...except for all the others."

Jumping into the latest trend with limited funds is the best way to have less funds and and an 'old' looking remodel.

Most often, "new trends" are change invented solely for the purpose of getting people to repurchase what they already have.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Here, here! to that last. And to the old-looking remodel, for that matter. All hot new looks are destined to become tomorrow's soggy old french fries, at least for a while.

Corky, you don't say how old you are; if young, you may not have had a chance to see what you continue to like over the decades. But my very best advice based on my experience is to start looking at lots of pictures, from different eras (this is important as stores and most magazines just show what they're trying to sell right now). You can find old ones in books and magazines at the library) and copy ones that really ping with you. One of the problems for a remodeler is narrowing choices among all the wonderful looks available, but a stack of pictures to remind you of what you really like makes this not only much easier but also much more fun. And an end product much more likely to be a room you are glad to enter regardless of what the market of the moment is swooning over.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I don't think stainless steel or granite are going to give a dated look. Certain granites might reflect more on a particular time period, but the stone itself is such a great countertop material, I can't see it going away. The trend seems to be going toward more matte finishes w/granite, but the majority is still polished. If you don't really like granite and SS, I would not put it in your kitchen. There are so many options out there today, including some very attractive formicas, if that is more in keeping w/your budget.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

There's an old adage about fashion versus style. Fashions come and go but great style remains forever. There are some people with oodles of cash who will haul in the designer du jour evey five years and spend wads of money on the "next great thing".

Twenty years ago a lot of them bought granite and big industrial appliances.

They're not buying them now. They have moved on to concrete and recycled material counters and the new glass or unusually coloured appliances.

From a purely fashionable standpoint - granite and stainless are over.

For the rest of us who want practical, durable kitchens that are representations of our own style and nobody else's fashion - granite surfaces and stainless appliances make a lot of sense.

• revans1
    15 years ago

The people who put in avocado green appliances were "interested in the latest trends" when they made their decisions, and their appliances far outlasted the trend (or were replaced long before their useful life was over).

I wonder if you're asking the right question in the first place......

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Why are you interested in the latest trends? Why not find your own style instead?

• morton5
    15 years ago

Subzero/Wolf sent me this interesting web video yesterday about kitchen trends. It did not come across as an infomercial to buy SZ/Wolf appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen trends according to SZ/Wolf

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I don't think for one second that granite is out of fashion or that it will go out any time soon. I think concrete may be a fashion trend but not granite. Stainless has been around for many years and I do not see it going anywhere any time soon. But if you don't like either, then get what you like. For resale, most high-end home buyers still demand granite and stainless....proof enough to me that it is very much still in style.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Stainless has been around in commercial kitchens for many more than 20 years. It existed in the 50's and has been a main stay for higher end kitchens (which tend to mimic industrial most often) for many many years. And I've been in 300 year old kitchens with stone counters...so I think those might be a fashion risk that's worth taking. I've yet to see plastic or laminate in a 200 year old kitchen that plans on staying there :)

The most timeless appliances aren't necessarily based on colors. In "timeless" kitchens, you see a generleffort to mimic a professional kitchen, with basic hard workers, ie a gas range without all of the fancy gadgets and dials. A fridge that keeps things cold, verses a water fountain, ice crusher, latte making freezer door with cable tv in the fridge section....

Keep it basic and functional, stay away from color (black or stainless and if your kitchen is white go white) and go with a subtle stone counter (if the budget allows) that doesn't make a wild statement (ie a nice nordic black) and your kitchen will have some of that timeless feel. Don't buy ORB faucets, brushed nickle anything or gold. Stick to the basics in stainless or chrome (Faucets etc) and let your style be shown in the eaily replaceable things...knobs! Keep lighting timeless as well, avoiding the above as well.

• alicel
    15 years ago

I think the difference is that stainless is a neutral; avocado isn't.

I had the same thought until I started thinking about my white appliances with wood cabinets.

• logic
    15 years ago

Stainless was VERY trendy in the 50's and 60's...went out of vogue..and came back with a vengeance the last 10 years or so...

Granite IMO is here to stay...but the full combo pack of granite/SS appliances/tumbled marble or mosaic backsplash and distressed cabs is an entire look that will probably become dated...as the combo has been over used.

• User
    15 years ago

I think it's nuts to say that SS and Granite are out. It's still what the majority of people including many in this forum are putting in their kitchens! Crazy...absolutely crazy.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

the only style you should concern yourself with is individual. if you love it, get it. why would anyone put anything other than what they truly enjoy in their home? i like to look around for lots of ideas, but there is more i DON'T like. i have my preferences and granite isn't one of them. is it "out"? absolutely not. just like formica or tile or any other material isn't. take a real look at what's going on today, and the vast array of materials that people are using: marmoleum, cork, rubber... the choices are endless. to some extent, i think PEOPLE tend to "date" rooms more than materials... i mean, if you really have no idea what you're doing design-wise, any selection has the potential to create a weak room. "dated" can be called many things. as i said in another thread: it's called retro.

• teppy
    15 years ago

you know what? I feel like you should never get something that you don't just really like alot. why pay money for a trend if its not your style?

somethings are classics though. if you like them, your in luck. my tastes have changed over the years. i tend to like things like wood floors, crystal chadeliers, antique furniture that has been around a long time. Unfortunately for me, these are all expensive items, but, atleast once i buy them, i will always have them and be happy with them. i see this as an investment. i would never purchase anything that i don't like just because thats what is in all the stores and on the internet.

i also feel like i would rather make one expensive purchase, say an antique table that takes my whole budget even if I can't buy the chairs now. I would buy them later. I would rather have a room with one item that i really enjoy looking at every time I see it, than a room full of stuff that does nothing for me.

you should always try to surround yourself with things that make you happy in your home. just my 2 cents.

PS, by the way, if you look around, advocado green is back, its just that today we call it "olive". I just did my living room with shades of "olive" green, rusty reds, yellows. its a beautiful mix of fall colors.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Lets face it no matter how you dress it up the basic elements of a kitchen are pretty much the same from kitchen to kitchen. If your on a budget I would focus on the substance: the layout and the basic features which will make it function the way you need it to. If the kitchen is your signature room, more power to you but when it comes to priorites I would much rather have a custom piece of furniture than custom kitchen cabinets. My couch is way more important to me than my fridge (if the fridge keeps my food fresh and diet Dr. Pepper cold I'm happy but that couch better look pretty fantastic while I'm sprawled on it). The sad truth is a kitchen is a money pit and beyond the bathroom the most restrictive space to inject style into - keep it simple and let your creativity loose in the rooms where you are not so constrained by function.

The lower end for kitchen materials (laminate, sheet flooring, ceramic tile)come in a stunning variety of colours, styles and finishes that can make your kitchen attractive, original and durable.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I think all of the responders are way too nice. This is a silly question -- in fact, it wasn't even a question, just a goofy statement of opinion. The OP seems like they just wanted to get a rise out of the numerous members who used SS & granite in their kitchens. Or the OP hasn't done any homework at all yet, and has no idea how to start thinking about a kitchen design. "Limited budget" and looking for the "latest trends" ? Those seem like contradictory concepts if you're looking for a hardworking, classic design that will keep its value and not look dated. But I wonder what folks were thinking when they justified those avocado appliances? Probably the 1960's version of "limited budget-latest trend" thinking. Oh well, rant over.

• divadeva
    15 years ago

I have some old kitchen design books from the 50's,60's and 70's, tracked down just because I wanted to see what wears well over time. They were pretty eye-opening, although there was no real classic style.

The 50's were all about putting in new modern appliances (your own clothes washer at home!) for a total look that was rather chrome. The selling point was to relieve women of household drudgery by getting DH to purchase appliances. Appliances, even the simple toaster, revolutionized the way people used the kitchen. Ergonomic studies introduced the "work triangle" to save steps.

The 60's were about new modern materials and slick surfaces...formica, plexiglass, and a more streamlined look. They looked a lot like modern kitchens today, with about the same selling points. Again, a revolution..stainless steel sinks, easy-wipe fridges, and double ovens.

The 70's, with more women in the workforce, were very schizoid...a return to natural material to evoke the warmth that an at-home Mom brought to the house vs. an new modern image to proclaim feminine independence. The 70's brought a revolution to the kitchen in the "island" which truly organized kitchen work spaces.

The trend I see today is that the kitchen is no longer a woman's individual decision within budget constraints set by a husband. Funds are joint, cooking is often by both DH an DW; they both vote on the dishwasher of choice. The island has morphed into duplicate sinks which create a cooking area separate from the cleaning area, or room for two cooks. the old "work triangle" is gone, replaced by overlapping triangles for prep, cooking, and clean up. Cupboards are more organized, with "storage systems" replacing holes in the cabinetry (cupboards).

So, IMHO it's not about the surface appearance. Surfaces wear and need to be replaced. If the traffic flow and use patterns are correct then appliances will be replaced as needed, cupboard will be painted if the basic quality is good. If the storage and flow are well planned it's a great kitchen, avocado green or not...otherwise it's a 10-year tear out.

• susan4664
    15 years ago

Natural surfaces and neutral colors will never be outdated. For example, while gold and green appliances were trendy, black has NEVER been out of style. You could have had a black fridge in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and still today.

The same goes for surfaces. Formica and other man-made materials, while practical, were trendy as opposed to wood, which has and will NEVER be out of style. The same goes for any organic material, such as stone, marble, etc.

• kren_pa
    15 years ago

to the OP: at first glance, my answer is "yes". however, after reading some of the very interesting posts, including igloochics and divadevas...i have to say that stainless will likely always work....it's part of the black/white spectrum rather than a color, like avocado. as far as granite, i don't know. the more it looks like plain stone (as in those 300 year old kitchens) the more timeless it would be i suppose. we have wood counters and white appliances though, so i don't really have a granite opinion. kren

• antirabbit
    15 years ago

We are just finishing our kitchen and a remodel on our whole home.
    Across the board we looked at making the looks timeless. We can decorate in trends but wanted the cabinets (white), countertops (granite), and appliances (stainless), and lighting (chrome) to be timeless.
    The layout is very open, which will not really go out of style. We kept to high quality materials and construction and built great bathrooms and kitchen that look like they could be 50 years old, or built today.
    I think that granite and stainless has become a baseline for a kitchen, not a trend. Ask any realator what buyers expect and they will tell you.
    We asked our KD what the latest trends are and offer a design on this, we also asked her for a classic and timeless design and this is what we went with.
    Let the wall colors and decor define the "trend" let the structure be timeless.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

Stainless appliances, granite counters, tumbled marble blacksplash, wood cabs....ad infinitum. It's getting to the point where when I click on people's photos, if it shows the above in one of the usual combinations, I quickly click away from it. Seen it before dozens of times, yadda yadda.

Yes, it's pretty. But it also looks like several hundred other kitchens posted before. Yawn.

It's been interesting to see how younger people are so hot on the retro 50's colors: orange, lime or spring green, yellow and red. Those bright colors make me shudder, but hey, whatever they like to do in their own homes, is fine with me. I figure my 1990 remodeled kitchen already looked dated five years ago. If we sell in the next five years, the owners can remodel it to their heart's content. If we sell in the next ten years....by that time WE might be retro, LOL!

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Hmmm. This is always an interesting discussion.

While I think granite is an wonderful countertop surface, I do see a trend away from "speckly" granite in favor of more swirls and solid looks (as well as matte).

The avocado greens/golds/oranges from the 70's were considered "earth colors" or colors from nature. We have seen a preponderance of browns/neutrals in the last decade and I think there is a trend away from browns - into more greys. Decorating in "natural colors" is a myth, since just about every color can be found in nature.

I think what will happen is that appliances will become more "built in" looking - either with paneled fronts or in colors that match cabinetry - grey cabs with grey appliances, red cabs with red appliances etc.

OR - fitted kitchen have been so mainstream for so long, I wouldn't be surprised to see more unfitted ones. There was a beautiful kitchen in my paper Saturday that was unfitted. The only section built in was the sink/dishwasher wall. The range and fridge were free standing, with a collection of hutches for storage and large tables for workspace. It was wonderful - so versatile and easily changed if desired. It made me wish I had leaned a little more in that direction in my remodel.

I don't know what will be "out" in 10 years, but it is fun to speculate!

• autumngal
    15 years ago

For the kitchen we are planning, I at first didn't want SS, our house is a victorian, and I wanted something that didn't have too modern a feel. After I went to the appliance store, I found that SS is so common now that it's generally not that much more expensive, and with a sale, it's often the same price or cheaper. This is, of course, not necessarily the case with the very high-end models, but for average to nicer appliances, it's pretty common. Now, I'm re-thinking SS, because I think, as others have said, it's more of a neutral that's really here to stay.

Other than that, I agree with everyone else, find what you love and works with your budget and run with that!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

To each his or her own...I react the opposite, I'm generally not interested in "the color of the day", I'll look at a kitchen like that as I believe each kitchen has unique qualities...whether it's layout, materials, quirks, or atmosphere. But I prefer a timeless look that will work with almost any style or color scheme. Natural wood (even stained wood or neutral painted wood), neutral countertops/BS/floors, and SS appliances will go with just about anything..they're the backbone of the design. The rest is decor. If I like the current fad, I can incorporate it in my paint or accessories, but when I grow tired of it I can easily eliminate it. I'm definitely not a slave to fashion...I outgrew that when I left my 20s!

In your teens & 20s you tend to be slaves to fashion...regardless of how it looks on you (or in your home). But as you mature, you realize that what works best for you is true style, not the "latest trend".

Of course, it's always nice when the "latest" fashion/trend works for you...but that will not always be the case. And that "latest" anything will eventually be "yesterday" if it's not timeless. Yes, some of the "latest" things will become timeless (like the prevalence of natural stone today), but most things fall by the wayside as some new "latest trend" takes over.

This was not meant to criticize anyone, it's just my opinion!

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

My mother still uses a pink Mixmaster because it still works and she can't bear to throw it out just because it's pink.

When she did her first kitchen as a newlywed, ('56?) pink was in. Not just petal pink, it was Pepto-Bismol Pink.
    All her appliances were pink, as were her canisters. I have those in the garage and store nails in them. Her pink refrigerator is in HER garage, still running!

Moral of the story is, the appliances that are the trendiest, will last the longest, to your utter dispair...

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Buehl has made some very interesting and very valid comments -
    ALL of which - I agree with - BUT - I have to throw in the footnote that I
    derive my living from (and have for the last 30 years) Granite....

That being said - I do think it's way cool to look at "other" materials too - Especially
    stuff that is environmentally positive - like "green" products such as recycled
    glass & concrete slabs. Another countertop product that I was blown away by
    (from looking at "cricuspeanut's recent completed project) is that of COPPER!!!

I gotta say though - I think Buehl has said it best - and I'll quote
    it again, because it's pure brilliance and sage wisdom in both of the following quotes:

"I prefer a timeless look that will work with almost any style or color scheme. Natural wood (even stained wood or neutral painted wood), neutral countertops/BS/floors, and SS appliances will go with just about anything..they're the backbone of the design."

And then this pretty much sums it all up:

"In your teens & 20s you tend to be slaves to fashion...regardless of how it looks on you (or in your home). But as you mature, you realize that what works best for you is true style, not the "latest trend"."

Just can't add anything to it... IMHO - Excellent words Buehl !!!!!

Personally - I don't think that Granite will ever lose it's allure - It's been pretty cool to watch the evolution of the Natural Stone Industry over the
    last 30 years!!!!!

kevin

• karmicrevival
    15 years ago

I think the bullnose granite in the more common colors, overly ornate cabinetry, undermounted sinks, tumbled marble backsplash, etc.. already look dated. I think SS is timeless.

Yes, people still install most of what I think is dated -- and should if it makes them happy. But, I agree with the premise that the better kitchen designs will be functional, more timeless, and built with an eye to quality and function rather than fashion. Color and creative decor should be used in a way that they are easily changed when the desire strikes.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I have a Ultramarine range, stainless DW and the refrigerator and freezer will get wood panels that look like iceboxes, if I ever get around to them.

But I'm mystified when people use 'granite' as though it was all the same. Certain colors will come and go, but it is a material with a big up-side: durability. The global economy means it's moved 'downscale' in terms of price and it will never be the cutting edge darling it once was: Yay! More people can enjoy it! But that in itself makes it a non-starter for a certain class of people, and that's all right, too-- I hope they enjoy their choices as much as I'm enjoying my Capella granite...

• rhome410
    15 years ago

"I'm mystified when people use 'granite' as though it was all the same.

I agree...Same with 'wood cabinets' and 'tumbled marble backsplash.' I have seen a lot of tumbled marble backsplashes, yes, but there are so many different colors, shapes and sizes, textures, and styles...some rustic, some classic, some contemporary, some colorful, some very calm and neutral. How can they be lumped together with one phrase? It matters much more how things fit into a room and create a cohesive look and unique/personalized vision and, of course, how it works for the cook.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

Nope!

All materials were new and trendy at some point. Some new and trendy items die away and date a kitchen and other items are here to stay, like formice, corian, linoleum, tile, stainless steel, copper, chrome, wrought iron, granite and other stones. These items all fill an important niche which will appeal to enough homeowners to keep them as a mainstay. The saturation of these items will change according to popularity but I feel as though they will be around for a very long time, as a choice. Maybe in a few years only 1 out of 5 fridges in the stores will be stainless where it seems more like 3 or 4 out of 5 these days.

Stainless steel: it seems that the coatings/treatments can make a difference with fingerprints. My stainless is no harder to keep clean than my old white and black appliances--maybe even easier. The stainless fills the need for a color in between the extremes of white and black. Sometimes off-white is used to fill this niche but, imho, hasn't gained traction because it is too close to white.

Granite/other stone: personally, I've been drawn to old stone (or stone-look) lab-bench tops since my hs days (I now have a child in college.) A cannot imagine anything appealing to me quite as much as natural stone. Other trends will catch my fancy but I'm sure, if ever having the chance to design another kitchen, I'll stick with stone. I would never consider changing out the stone slabs that have been the steps up to our house for a hundred years....why would I feel any different about our stone counters?

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

Everything gets dated, old and worn out. That's why we're all here asking for renovation advice.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

Everything old is new again ...
    Classic, elegant, beautiful and timeless are not necessarily "stylish". There are many hip, trendy designs that will go "out" of style - but SS and Granite won't. They are functional and beautiful. - to my opinion.

• juan1
    15 years ago

Hi there , yes that should work pretty well thatÂs a good idea. hey friend I got a good news for all of you now you all donÂt have to search on net about all marbles and ceramic tile and cleaning toners whose very important in remodeling your house just visit the website I search a website on net in which you got your answer about all types of ceramic tile just visit the website which is given below you will get all your answer when you see this web visit the website which is given below .

Here is a link that might be useful: Marbles

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

(did anyone else think that sounded like spam?)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

My thoughts exactly. I really don't like spam.

• sterlingsilver
    15 years ago

My personal speculation... stainless steel will eventually go out of style and looked dated and industrial. Granite will stay in style because it's functional, durable (won't look worn, discolor, chip, and peel like laminate, for instance), and has enough variety to please plenty of people.

My prediction for coming trends, fwiw, the high-gloss cabinets (in woods or bright colors) that you now see in the mags, and honed granite or soapstone counters to contrast with a matte finish. Possibly not necessarily *together* though (high-gloss may end up paired with polished granite and matte granite with non-glossy cabinets). Not my style, but both seem to be gaining traction in design mags and for the high-gloss cab's, even places like Home Depot, which suggests its popularity with the masses.

We shall see, ay? ;P

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

I recently saw the Dick Van Dyke-Debbie Reynolds 1967 movie, Divorce American Style, and they had shiny SS appliances in their kitchen. Some nice things, too, but the countertops looked like state-of-the-art Formica.

• janwad
    15 years ago

People who bought avocado shag thought it was timeless too. So did people who bought pink and aqua before that. It's human nature.

No one here knows what the next hot countertop trend will be, but whatever it is will make granite look very 2005. In a decade, stainless will just look industrial, cold, grey and unattractive next to whatever they are selling us.

You really struck a nerve with this post. It is amusing to see the backs go up.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I like shag carpet.

I don't like avocado green.

I do like stainless.

Not keen on granite as a countertop.

/shrug. Get what you like and enjoy it, unless you're planning for resale. Then get what's trendy and don't worry about it.

• roey736
    15 years ago

GET WHAT YOU LOVE! If you are on a limited budget and plan to stay in your house and use your kitchen, get what is going to make you happy every time you walk into the room. By the way, did I mention that I am putting in a shag carpet in the great room? Yup. Shag area rug over a hard wood floor. Saw it at a friend's house and it's the coolest thing ever.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

My new cabs were just painted and glazed into a kind of
    avocado green color...I'm either really late on that trend,
    early into the next but more likely just going with what I like! :)

• kclv
    15 years ago

I don't think either will look too dated. Stainless is neutral, avocado was not. As other posters have mentioned, it has been around for a long time.
    The same goes for granite counters. Certainly there are some varities of granite which have become trendy, but it is a natural material which is extremely durable, and if a neutral colour is chosen, it will never be out of style.
    Maybe with the economic crisis people will rethink the importance of trendy kitchen design and opt for timeless classics which will stand the test of time.

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    15 years ago

A designer at my local Expo store said that islands of different cabinetry/color and different countertops than the rest of the kitchen were a trend and that we should avoid it in our new house. She thought it would be better if the cabinetry were the same with maybe a different countertop material. What do y'all think?

• jb1176
    15 years ago

I was wondering what granites are considered "not popular" for lack of a better term? Are they the speckled ones with no movement, or is a particular color of granite "out"? I really like the matte antique finished blacks, but I wonder if they will be the trend of the decade?

• dollfanz
    15 years ago

I did ask my granite guy today and he said the most common granite is Baltic brown. Said every builder puts it in. Because it's cheap. But he also said it looks cheap.
    The exotics will never be out of style because they're hard to come by. And some stones that are being mined now will be comepletely mined out in 10 years. So those stones will be rare.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz