SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
analysisparalysis

Edges for glass mosaic backsplash - necessary?

analysisparalysis
13 years ago

I am still debating about how much of my backsplash I want tiles versus just painted. My cabinets will be "patterned" in that they'll be quartersawn oak. My floor is busy - a swirly cork. So I don't think I want the whole backsplash to have much pattern to it everywhere. But...my question then, is do I have to put an "edge" along the border of my tiles? I'm going to use the 3/4"x3/4" glass mosaics (the ones that come attached to mesh), and at the moment, I'm inclined to perhaps just put them in the 36" width of wall between my cooktop and the vent above. Do I have to "cap" the two exposed sides, then? Has anyone left a glass mosaic edge exposed - and if so, does it look funny? If I do have to edge it, would you do just the sides, or along the countertop and under the hood also (forming a "box", so to speak)?

I don't know if it's needed, but in case anyone feels that seeing the tiles would help them answer the question, the link is below. I think the copper shimmer in the tiles will go nicely with my copper countertop on the island across the aisle. I may also use this in a small bar area that is adjacent to the perimeter wall (there is just a 6" section of wall above the counter before a shelf begins - this might be a nice way to fill that space).

Thanks for any thoughts!

AP

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiles

Comments (8)