SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txpepper_gw

I've hit the floor and I need some help! [Pic heavy]

txpepper
13 years ago

Okay. I'm stymied. I need help with my kitchen floor design.

First! I am doing a complete reno. The only thing that I'm keeping is the refrig which is stainless steel.

I live in a hi-rise condo and one of the walls is a sliding glass door.

My overall look is what I would describe as urban, with a zen sort of aesthetic. I'm going for a light, somewhat

monochromatic color palate using warm grays, taupe and cream colors.

I have a major not-to-be-changed design issue to deal with and that is the flooring in the foyer and the dining room. Both of these spaces have direct visual access to the kitchen space.

So with that said.....

This pic is the design-element flooring. The light color is Terrazzo tile with Absolute Black granite accents and is located in the foyer. The dark floor is Absolute Black with Terrazzo accents and this floor is in my LR/DR space.

The following are mockups on an overhead layout of my kitchen/breakfast area space.

~ The measurement from toe-kick to toe-kick in the main task area is 61 inches.

~ I am planning to use 12 or 13'' rectified edge tiles, laid edge-to-edge using very minimal grout for whichever flooring idea is used.

~ I will be using an Absolute Black granite strip to serve as a transition between the kitchen floor and the foyer/DR.

So these are the ideas that I've come up with:

Floor Option 1: Use one color of tile. The color will be gray-taupe in coloration. The color is pulled from the gray tones in the Terrazzo tile.

Floor Option 2: Create a 'rug' design using the same darker tile color on the outside as a border and filled in with a lighter cream color...selected to go with the lighter color in the Terrazzo tile.

Floor Option 3: Use the rug pattern but add a small inner border of Absolute Black granite. This inner border would be maybe 3/4 to 1+ inch wide. It was my idea that this would pull in all the elements of the foyer and DR floors.

Floor Option 4: Use a single color field with Absolute Black granite inset border.

Floor Option 5: Take a sharp left turn and use a wood-look porcelain tile. The tiles would be laid out in a traditional pattern - not like what I have shown here. I laid this tile edge to edge just so I can get a feel for the solid color.

Floor Option 6: None of the above. I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone willing to provide some input? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Pepper

~ Let me know if some of my pics are too small. I was trying to not be obnoxious with my pic size. : )

Comments (8)