SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjwb

What would you do with this kitchen?

nancyjwb
9 years ago

Hi all!

What would you do with this kitchen? We moved to this house several months ago. The home is 1940s and the addition was added 10 years ago by my aunt and uncle. Being very practical and not enjoying cooking, she designed the kitchen as the dark alley it currently is. There is no mudroom; the door to the garage opens directly into the kitchen. It feels rather like cooking in a utility room. Primary objectives for a new kitchen would be more natural light, room for mudroom, and updates to the kitchen (it has 50s era metal cabinets pieced into it, with metal rim countertops that cannot be kept clean as the rim holds crumbs and spills).

We had originally considered moving the kitchen to the large bonus room at the back, but with advice from this forum and my own misgivings we ruled that out. It is too far from the dining and living space. We are now thinking to add the kitchen to the side of the dining room. I am not used to an open concept floor plan, but I can see the benefits. My DH is very handy and could do most of the work himself along with his contractor father and my plumber father. We considered remodeling the interior to include a new kitchen, but DH says adding on is easier. I will post a general whole house layout (badly out of scale), and a to-scale proposed general layout for dining room and kitchen.

We are a young family with two daughters, 3 years old, and 9 months. We lease the house and plan to buy in 1-2 years. Renovating the kitchen would be our (my) first priority upon buying. The house has 4 bedroom and 4 bathrooms, with space for more bedrooms in the basement. If we do buy (which we do hope to do) it will be our forever home, with a small acreage and space to grow.

I cook most meals from scratch, and for everyday have no (adult!) helpers. For everyday we eat at a 4.5 foot round table that can expand to seat 20. We do enjoy having large groups over for formal (sit down) meals. I would like the kitchen to allow guests to participate and children to help..when they get old enough to help instead of hinder! :)

Comments (9)