SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamatoalex

Help! Replacing top mount kitchen sink

mamatoalex
12 years ago

I'm trying to update a few things in my kitchen without doing a totally new kitchen.

I currently have a white Kohler cast iron sink (the Lakefield, with a small basin on the left and a larger basin on the right). It is top mounted on granite counters (don't ask why - I don't know, but we bought the home like that).

I don't love the sink, mainly because we don't like the little basin as we don't use it for anything, it requires a lot of effort to look clean, there are many scratches at the sides, and the white doesn't look great in my kitchen.

I bought the Blanco Silgranit large single sink in anthracite, which is supposed to measure 33 x 22, just like the Kohler Lakefield I currently have. I love the color, think it will be much easier to maintain, and like the single big basin.

The plumber came to install it today, and said that he thinks that the Blanco, because it's slightly curved at the front and back, is slightly less wide than the Kohler and so that it's not going to fit in the space where the Kohler was, as he thinks there will be a gap between the counter and the sink.

I've measured myself, and although I don't know exactly where the granite cutout it (and it's hard to measure because the bottom of the sink is in the way), it seems like it's pretty close, and I'm not sure that it's obviously not going to fit. There may be a 1/16 of an inch difference in the widths between the blanco and the kohler, but it's not even totally clear.

A few questions:

1) How I can confirm that the plumber is right, short of taking out the sink I have? I was thinking of trying to draw a template of the blanco and trying to see if it might fit. I'm not sure how well this would work.

2) How do I avoid this problem if I decide to get a different sink? The only way I can think of to totally avoid this problem is to get the exact same sink, or possibly another Kohler cast-iron, but even with a different Kohler, how do I know that this isn't going to be an issue again?

3) Any suggestions for sinks I should consider? I don't mind the look of cast iron, but I like things to look pretty clean but I don't want to scrub the sink every day, and that's what I feel like I need to do with the cast iron.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!