SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norkat

Help! Need Advice about Backsplash Tile

Norkat
9 years ago

I'm remodeling the galley kitchen in my 1950s ranch, and I'm shooting for clean, contemporary and timeless. I am having a lot of trouble selecting a backsplash and need help - and quickly! The kitchen is set to detonate in a few weeks!

I really don't want to have one of those kitchens that screams 2014 (or any year) based upon the design choices, and I think that's part of my hang-up.

I've ordered natural cherry slab cabinets from Dewils. I'm planning on absolute black granite in a leathered/anticado finish for the counters and a 12x24 Montauk slate for the floors.

With all of the dark going on, I need a light tile. I fell in love with the Heath Diamond and Ann Sacks Beaded Rectangle Field tiles, but both are way out of my price range. Fireclay's 3x6 recycled glass tile in jasmine is my current frontrunner. I really like the textural play between the leathered granite and the recycled glass. It's also above my budget, but I could probably make it work.

When I started planning the remodel a few years ago, I was thinking about a white carrera subway, but I'm afraid the year 2020 is starting to whisper "2014" to me. I'm also not sure it's the right look with my other choices.

I could do a basic off-white ceramic field tile in a 3x6 or maybe a 3x9, which are nice and safely in my budget but perhaps lacking the depth I'm looking for. I also like white stained glass tile but wonder if that's too stark.

I've scrolled through GW many times and have always appreciated the knowledge and good advice shared among members. With a kitchen remodel that's starting next month, I really need some of that!

For a glimpse into my obsession and some of the tiles I'm considering, you can go here: http://www.pinterest.com/Norrkat/

Thanks!

Comments (5)