SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Anyone not like the trash and recycling being in a cabinet?

sixkeys
10 years ago

In my current small, galley kitchen the trash cabinet is old and sticks. When I used to keep the trash can in the drawer, no one used it and the trash ended up on the counter (sigh). So even with a small kitchen, the trash can stays out.

In the remodel we are doing (which I will be posting plans for help soon), the plan is to put the trash and recycling in a cabinet. I assume that because it will be new, and it will have soft-close, that maybe my family will actually use it and we can keep the trashcan out of sight. I've pondered just having a nook so the trash can be just tucked under the island (but facing the inside of the kitchen).

Sorry for the long-winded intro....but does everyone like their trash setup? Any unique ideas I should consider?

Thanks!

Comments (55)

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

tmy_jax, glad you liked!

We have a hafele foot pedal on the leftmost bin and sometimes I think about adding them to the other two as well.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

A foot pedal on the trash door is a great idea!

Cevamal, we live in an condo building, and one of the "highlights" of our new apartment (our new next-door neighbor said the same thing) is being not to far from the trash chute room - meat and fish packaging go out as soon as they're opened!

• Related Discussions

How to deal with kitchen recycling/trash ?

Q

Comments (6)
    I am building a house, and this is something I was really concerned about, too, when designing our kitchen. I found some slide-out trash containers (at Home Depot) that each have two cans, one behind the other. I bought two of them and put them right next to each other so there are four containers in total. They are going in an undercab, and I'm having fronts made for what will appear to be doors but will hook to the front of the sliders and pull the cans out two at a time. I'm planning to designate one for trash, one for cans, one for glass and plastic, and one for paper/burnables. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do with large cardboard. I may be able to keep it, flattened, inside my pantry. I'm sorry I can't post a picture, but we're still building and don't actually have this installed yet. I posted a similar question, "How do you organize your recycling," on the organization forum, and got several responses if you want to check that out. Good luck!
    ...See More

Where is your trash/recycling/compost?

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh, wi-sailorgirl, do whatever you can to get a separate trash pull-out! I thought the same thing, that I couldn't spare any cab space in my 15 x 8 galley. But then, just a few weeks before construction was to start, DH nudged me away from the sink, as was his wont, so he could throw out something. I suddenly realized that a small trash pull-out next to the sink would be much cheaper than the cost of a defense attorney after I beaned him with the skillet I was washing. The new cabs provide so much more storage space that I don't miss the space in the 15" cab that houses the pull-out. It's possible that under the sink is your only option, but it's worth it to consider every possibility. I've told this story before, but there is now a postscript. I thought the pull-out would eliminate the nudging, but then DH nudged me when he needed to get a replacement garbage bag out from under the sink. It only took one time, and I moved the box of bags into the trash pull-out. I am happy that DH puts out the garbage when he finds it full and replaces the bag. But I also try to prevent situations where I am tempted to hit him over the head with a skillet.
    ...See More

Trash/Recycling

Q

Comments (42)
    I may be in the minority here, but I vote for "just say no" to hiding the garbage can in a cabinet. Actually I was thinking about it last night: We have a built-in desk in our current kitchen -- so wisely placed smack dab in the middle of the kitchen. Why, oh why? But I digress: We keep our open trash can in the space under this desk. It's in a convenient spot, but the problem is that my family seems genetically unable to put garbage INTO the can, and every week I have to sweep out the wrappers, etc. that've fallen behind the can. They are also unable to recognize that the can has reached its limits, so they stack more, more, more on top of the can. As much a pain as this is, I was thinking to myself that it'd be even harder to retrieve lost garbage IF it were in a narrow kitchen cabinet and IF the gunk was occasionally getting stuck in a sliding track. I'm perfectly happy to keep my garbage "out". I'm going to have a little "extention" on the end of my island that'll hide the garbage from sight of the great room. Popular opinion? Probably not, but I feel sure it's the right choice for me.
    ...See More

Soft close and Pedal to open trash/recycling drawer

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for trying to help me. I honestly don't know what kind of soft close hardware or glides I have. The cabs are Thomasville. On the drawers that have soft close on them, when I pull out the drawer, the rails stay inside the cabinet box. If I want to remove a drawer, there are little clips under the drawer that I have to click in order to remove it. Like this: (pic from Thomasville's website, it was easier) "> On the wide deep dish drawers, they don't have soft close. When I pull the drawer out, the rails stay with the drawers. I bent over to look to see if there was a name on them, but there isn't. They are full extension, as are all of our drawers. Like this: (pic from Thomasville's website) "> I think that if I have to choose between the pedal opener, and soft close, I'll choose soft close. I know that it's a Rev A Shelf, because the cabinet man was just here yesterday and had to replace it. Trash/Recycling like this: (also from Thomasville's site) "> Anyhow, that is the type I have. I want to get soft close on the deep dish drawers, as well as the trash/recycling drawer. Thank you!
    ...See More
  • calumin
    10 years ago

I have something very similar to oldbat2be. Before our remodel I was very attached to our SimpleHuman trash cans because of the foot pedal and construction quality. But the in-drawer system is better.

We have two drawers -- one with two 13 gallon cans for trash and recycling. I use a trash bag for recycling, then just empty the recycling into the bin when full and reuse the bag as needed. The other drawer has one lidded 13 gallon can used for compost. We also have the Solon countertop compost bin in the picture above that we use for kitchen scraps and wetter compost. It's actually very nice to have two compost containers - probably 50% of our waste now is compost.

Inside the trash drawer, I attached simplehuman odorsorb charcoal filters under top wall. I don't know how much they help but there's no issue at all of odors.

oldbat2be -- does the contents of your paper bin go into compost or recycling? Where I live, dry paper goes to recycling, but wet or food-contaminated paper (e.g. milk cartons & used paper towels) can only be composted. Apparently you can reclaim much more of the original fibers when recycling.

This post was edited by calumin on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:34

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I wish I had room for an in-counter compost bin!

• chinchette
    10 years ago

I use a Simple Human can but it is in a perfect spot at the end of my island, hidden from the Great Room side by a support column. Recycling is under the sink in a plastic container that I bring to the garage to empty and place back under the sink. Having a trash can that can be seen but not glaringly so is good for visitors.

• eaga
    10 years ago

I saw a post on another thread (sorry that I can't find it now) wisely pointing out that if you have heating vents coming from your toe kicks, avoid putting one under the trash pullout, as you don't want to heat up your garbage. I suppose the same would apply for having a heating vent next to your freestanding trash can nook if that's the way you decide to go.

We have a Rev-a-shelf pullout trash and recycling cabinet in our newly-renovated kitchen and I really like it. I must tell you, however, that although it is easy to open, and has soft-touch close, my DH doesn't use it to throw away kitchen trash and recycling. Neat piles of trash and empty cans are left on the counter mere inches from the pullout. He will, however, take out the trash and recycling, so we do have that going for us. He did the same thing before the renovation, when we had the Rubbermaid step-on-pedal-to-open-still-has-sticky-label-on-lid-always-in-the-way trash can, and the grocery-store-plastic-bag-hung-on-a-cabinet-knob can and bottle recycling holder. I really have no explanation for this behavior. It could be related to his refrigerator blindness, I just don't know.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Hmm, what's refrigerator blindness? Is "where's the butter?" one of its symptoms?

• eaga
    10 years ago

@westsider40 - Sadly, yes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Medical Association Journal article

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I didn't have the space for a dedicated trash/recycling cabinet, so I keep my trash receptacle under the sink. But even if I did have space, I doubt I'd put the recycling in a cabinet because I'd have to empty it several times a day. We go through a lot of containers that need to be recycled and it's easier to just toss them into boxes in the garage, then transfer those to the large outdoor recycling bins every few days. I don't even like keeping my trash can under the sink (I don't like the idea of keeping trash in a cabinet), but don't have anywhere else to put it.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Rebecca, you do not have your email set up to be revealed when you email someone. Therefore, I couldn't respond to your email to me regarding Dynasty/Omega cabinets.

I apologize for inserting this into a post about garbage, but it's your newest post on the forum that I could find where I could be sure you could see my response, and that I wasn't ignoring your message to me.

I've had scant issues with the line. A couple with a paint matching issue that another forum member also had, but those were quickly resolved at no cost to anyone. As far as wear and tear, well, there is always going to be a distinct difference between the appearance of normal wear and tear on a stained wood and a paint. Paint will always show that normal wear and tear a bit more. It's just like owning a white or a black car. The dirt will always show up more, as will any of the normal dings or scrapes. And people's definition of "normal wear and tear" can be different. If you have kids that hang off of the cabinet doors and play hockey in the house, there aren't cabinets made that will stand up to that! LOL! That's not "normal" wear and tear. That's abuse!

Be sure that you are expecting normal wood behavior from wood cabinets, and that you aren't expecting them to remain unblemished from an active family life that impacts them. That goes for every single cabinet line that exists. Wood expands and contracts, and over time, any painted cabinetry will show that at all of the lines of the joints. That's 100% normal. Be sure that you are OK with that, and don't expect the cabinets to remain looking "perfectly new" through their life in your home.

Treated like the built in furniture that cabinetry actually is, they will remain great looking for many, many, years to come. I've seen installations that were 15 years old and looked like new except for those minor cracks in the paint at the joints and a chip or two. Treat them right, and you too can expect long term wear from them with them still looking good

What's "treating them right"? Have a good quality hood that removes the grease and smoke from your cooking, as grease buildup on them attracts dirt and will damage them. Dust them regularly. Wipe them down with a mild detergent solution and damp NOT wet soft cloth occasionally. And that's it. Do a touch up with the supplied touch up kit if needed. (Have your installer show you how to do then during installation.)

Avoid having water standing on the cabinets. That's the biggest issue that I've seen over the years with any cabinet line. People let water continually drip over at the sink area, and even in a good quality line, the cabinet's aren't meant to be regularly soaked there. A quality finish doesn't render them waterproof, and over time, you can damage them by that continual soaking. And, you can damage them by scrubbing them. They aren't meant to stand up to abrasive cleaners and lots of water to clean them. No Magic Erasers. No Scotchbrite Scrubbies. They are like sandpaper, removing the top layer of your finish. If you clean with things like that enough, you can remove all of the finish and paint and let water in to damage them.

Dynasty/Omega offers a high quality cabinet at a reasonable price. And if offers the ability to greatly customize your cabinetry, from size to color, if needed. It's a great line, and a good value, and I'm very pleased to be able to design people's dream kitchens in it. It's always a pleasure to do that, because I know that they will be happy with the product, and I have a great factory team behind that product if any problem arises. All kitchens have problems of one variety or another. It's how those problems are handled that make dealing with one line better than dealing with another.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate your perspective. It is so valuable to me. Thanks for taking the time to write back.

I think I fixed my email issue too!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I'm going to answer your post and hijack it too.

To answer your post, I don't like trash pull outs. I want my trash can to have a lid. We put a Simple Human double bin at the end of a counter run. Like this:

And now to hijack. The cabinetry is Dynasty Omega - Marion doors in pesto green. I love the green and it fits in our vintage home. We've been using them now for about a year and a half...two adults....and they are holding up well. Couple nicks here and there, but we're really pleased with them. Here's another shot for kicks and giggles.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the trash info and very helpful hijack! I being productive, and this thread has been great.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

One of my favorite things about our new kitchen is the trash/recycle pullout. We used to have a trash pullout under the sink, but we had to open the door, then pull it out, which was not especially convenient. Nor was it convenient to have to move (or nudge someone) away from the sink to throw stuff away. Now the trash is in a pullout near the sink, but not under - much more convenient. Our kitchen is a U - no place for a separate can - and we have a dog.

Our house is a split entry, kitchen upstairs, so it's a half flight of stairs to the garage (and recycling bins). We are lazy people, and would pile up cans, bottles, and cardboard on the counter until someone got around to bringing them to the garage. Now we have a whole bin in the pullout for recycle - and when it's full, we carry the whole thing to the garage. Much, much better!

• Ellen1234
    10 years ago

We are loving our new garbage/recycling cans in a pull-out cabinet. We used to keep both cans at the end of the sink run - not very attractive and a bit far from where we'd prep.

A neighbor of mine had just put in a full height garbage cabinet with taller cans, said it was her favorite thing in her kitchen. So I decided I'd do the same. So I have an 18" cabinet with a cabinet door and fake drawer front attached - both pull out together to access the garbage/recycling cans - I empty the garbage once a week and recycle bin to the garage every 3 or 4 days (as it fills up).

• agk2003
    10 years ago

have you considered a trash compactor? the appliance guys tried to talk us out of it (claimed many service issues) but everyone in my family has always had one and loves them.

• Linda
    10 years ago

Circis 141 - thanks for the great laugh on the refrigerator blindness!!!! How about "category incompetence"?? My DH is able to put the knives, forks and spoons in their proper spot with like utensils. however, that is the EXTENT of his ability to (1) remember where anything else belongs in the kitchen, or (2) put like-items away in the same spot!! Never can tell where anything will end up after he empties the DW!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Refrigerator blindness is usually accompanied by unconscious stroking of stainless steel doors, usually by male members of household, and guaranteed to place fingerprints and smudges on the doors.

• chitownkat
    10 years ago

We keep our trash in a small (plastic grocery-bag-lining size) can under the sink, and we will continue to do so in our new kitchen. We had plenty of room for a trash pullout but I have never really wanted one.
    I did not want to have to take things to the trash, because I am used to pulling the can out and putting it near me (yes, even on the counter when I am cracking eggs, chopping veggies, taking raw chicken out of package etc) . I have just found I prefer that method better.
    We also take our trash out every few days (there is just 2 of us), and I did not want a bigger can sitting there for a week or so just so I could fill it up. For parties, I have a larger can I bring up from the basement and put in a corner.

• Linda
    10 years ago

Circis 141 - thanks for the great laugh on the refrigerator blindness!!!! How about "category incompetence"?? My DH is able to put the knives, forks and spoons in their proper spot with like utensils. however, that is the EXTENT of his ability to (1) remember where anything else belongs in the kitchen, or (2) put like-items away in the same spot!! Never can tell where anything will end up after he empties the DW!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Right on about the fingerprints on the SS Kitchendetective! Followed, of course, by complete denial -- even though there are only 2 people in the household, one with big fingers and handprints (an exact match of those on the fridge), and the other with small fingers and hand (not even close to being a match). Must have been the dog!

• msbrandywinevalley
    10 years ago

I'm in the design phase of a kitchen remodeling project and I'm just not willing to sacrifice precious under-the-counter cabinet space for trash and recycling. The compromise is to have a slide-out trash bin under the sink, and no bin for recycling in the kitchen. That's really fine with me because the recycling goes directly into a wheel-out container that I keep in the garage, just a few steps from the kitchen.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

What a great post as I have limited cabinet space and I keep going back and forth on this also as I do not want to take up valuable cabinet space but I wish my stainless steel trashcan with the pedal was not taking up valuable floor space. Maybe having the trash can with a pull-out under the skink would be a good compromise for me. Again, thank you everyone for sharing. Hopefully more people will share. I also will make sure I have a lid on the trash can so I will need to make sure there is room for the lid.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

By the way, as to WHO would leave trash on the countertop . . . my husband, that's who.

He leaves trash on the countertop -- right next to the trash can. Really, I can imagine that you might be considering a second sandwich, and you might leave your paper plate out . . . but are you really going to use that crumpled up napkin again? He also leaves candy wrappers and used Kleenex on the dresser. If he drinks a couple beers over the course of the evening, he lines the cans up on the countertop . . . right next to the recycling bin. If he gets a new shirt, he will remove the tags and leave them on his nightstand, which is -- you guessed it -- right next to the trash can. I don't mean he does these things occasionally -- he does them CONSTANTLY.

We used to fight about it all the time, but then I realized that I'm the one who has a problem with it. He could care less. I could yell and fight all day long, and he still would not change this behavior. He is utterly incapable of seeing that this is stupid; he has a blind spot concerning this behavior. I realized that I can't change him, but I can change me. I willed myself to remember all the hundreds of good things he does regularly, and I let this one go. It's better to live with him and throw away his trash than to live without him. On occasion, when I throw away a beer he was still drinking, I remind him that if he doesn't like it, he can choose to start using a trash can himself.

• eaga
    10 years ago

MrsPete you and I think alike on this. My DH is the same way, and we used to fight about it, but at some point I just decided I was not going to die on that molehill, if I might mix a coupla metaphors.

I do like the idea of throwing away the beer while he's still drinking it. Thanks for that.

• eaga
    10 years ago

Here are some very cool trash cans, both free standing and pullout. The company is in the UK but I have seen them sold here online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wesco trash bins

• drbeanie2000
    10 years ago

Trash disposal was a VERY BIG issue for me. We have to take our own trash and use special yellow "pay per throw" bags for the "everything else" stuff. Recyclables have to be sorted into paper, cardboard, deposit cans/bottles, and "commingle." Having free-standing trash cans for each of those would be (was) a nightmare, and fortunately we did have the under-cabinet storage space (36" wide). We now put the pay-per-throw bag right in the one can and use paper shopping bags for the other three cans. We don't have a separate bin for cardboard, we just throw that in the garage.

In any case, trash was a big factor in how we designed our kitchen. We love our cabinet trash cans.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm not sure how devoting cabinet space to trash cans is any different than devoting cabinet space to cereal boxes. I don't want my trash can "out" on the floor any more than I want cereal boxes out on the counter!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Mrspete - We have trash pull outs (no lid). While there might be some occasional missing on the floor, there is very little in the cabinet. I can affirm this because every now and then I'll want to post a detail shot of our cabinet (to answer some question or another), and of course I need to clean first, so the shot looks good, and all I'm really cleaning is dust and the ever present dog hair.

1929Spanish - Somehow I must have missed your reveal. Simply love your green cabinets, gorgeous counter top and beautiful white backsplash.

calumin - interesting. I'm in MA, and I am not aware or rules regarding dry and wet items. Milk/OJ 'waxed' cartons, I put into our recycling container. Paper bin goes into recycling, but I keep it separate (hence, collecting in paper bags).

drbeanie2000 - love your setup!

Actually - all - I'd personally very much welcome more information as to what I can recycle and what not. Tin foil is a perfect example.

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

We spec'd a trash pull out in the island for our in-process kitchen remodel. Useful thread, thanks everyone for input I had not considered.

1929 Spanish- Love your kitchen!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Oldbat, what you can recycle is totally dependent on your local recycling facility. They should have a list of "what is" and "what isn't" online.

• SLTKota
    10 years ago

Mine has been in a few months and I have yet to use my trash pullout, though it is not because I don't like it.

Also, remember that I'm a single 25 year old guy that is laughing at all of the things that DH's have done, lets just say I can relate.

As for why I haven't used my trash pullout, it has a very large can that takes a kitchen garbage bag. Living alone I really don't have much trash and I would never fill up the entire container during a week.

I have found that I keep using my old small can that takes a grocery bag as I only have a few bags of trash each week. I've been tempted to retrofit the pullout for two smaller cans but I know someday having a bigger can will be nice.

-Stuart-

This post was edited by SLTKota on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 16:39

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

After rereading this post, I am still not sure what to do. I know I want lids on my trash cans and I really need the cabinet space but would love the trash can off the floor. The Simple Human Can with the foot petal in Stainless Steel takes a large Trash Bag and is working despite wishing it was in a cabinet.

Anyone have under cabinet trash cans that have lids? I do not have a garbage disposal and I do not like to keep opening the garage door to throw out used puppy pads and potato peels.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Note: While getting these links, I noticed later that some of the Rev-A-Shelf pics that don't show lids actually are available with an optional lid. So, I recommend browsing the Rev-A-Shelf and Häfele sites for more options.

If you have a lid on your trash can, I think the ideal setup would be with a lid that automatically opens when you open the door/pullout. I noticed that some have plastic covers - not lids, but covers that the trash cans are stored under when the door/pullout is closed. Note, however, that many trash cabinets already have a wooden divider that separates the trash can area from the drawer above - I know mine does (Omega Dynasty).

Some examples of...

Trash pullouts with lids (some attached to doors as a one-step pullout; others detached and you have to open the door and then pull out the trash can):
    Rev-A-Shelf Double Bottom Mount Rev-A-Motion™ Wood Waste Containers
    Rev-A-Shelf Single Bottom Mount w/ Lid Reduced Depth White Wire Waste Containers
    Rev-A-Shelf Single Bottom Mount w/ Lid White Wire Waste Containers
    Häfele Undermount Trash Can with Soft Close
    Häfele Side Mount Trash Can
    Häfele Bottom Mount Trash Can
    Häfele Cabinet trash can pull out with foot pedal
    Rev-A-Shelf Double Bottom Mount Covered Stainless Steel Waste Containers
    Häfele Trash can pull-out for hinged doors

Other Trash cans directly attached to doors with lids/covers:
    Rev-A-Shelf Single Round Pivot-out Metal Waste Containers
    Rev-A-Shelf Single Round Pivot-out Stainless Steel Waste Containers
    Häfele Trash can for swing out doors

In-Counter for Composting or similar with lids/covers:
    Rev-A-Shelf Single Counter Mount Stainless Steel Waste Containers

For those who don't have a lid but would like one:
    Rev-A-Shelf Accessories Lids for Polymer Waste Containers

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Buehl, thank you for all the links! I was at a kitchen place today getting the wonderful design until it came to the trash can that would be too tiny for a lid with a real drawer on top. I first liked the idea but then I starting to realize I would lose a cabinet that I could have drawers in as my kitchen is not big. I had moved my Simple Human Trash Can to the Home office a few days ago which is two rooms away from the kitchen. Now I am thinking of not keeping a trash can in the kitchen or putting a small one under the sink with a lid to empty each day. I wish my kitchen was bigger as I would like a tall cabinet for the trash can with the flip lid but I need the cabinet for storage.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I am back to wanting at least a small trash can in the kitchen as this morning I had to walk from the kitchen to the living room to throw out the trash so maybe the kitchen designer is right that by having a small one with a pan tray next to the cabinet and having a usable drawer on top will be a good feature of my kitchen and not use up that much cabinet space. I still hate that a very small trash can does not have a lid on the Rev-A-Shelf website.

• Ellen1234
    10 years ago

lynn2006 - I'm not really sure how big your kitchen is, or what you plan to store in the cabinets. But if you have anything that you have slated for storage in the cabinets that you could instead put in some other location (e.g. basement/garage) - e.g. items that you don't use very often - then I would do that and instead include the garbage cans in a cabinet. The garbage is something you use constantly - multiple times a day - and it may be more logical to include this in your plan vs some other things.

Just something to consider....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

In our old kitchen, we had a trash can under the sink and one in a cabinet.

Ended up we never used the one under the sink; first of all, it's in the way, second of all, too many actions to get to the darn trash.

What we did have in the old house, and have again here, is a huge trash pull out --- the cabinet is about the size of a d/w, and the can inside is a 30gallon (?) standard round trash can. There is a spot to store a roll of garbage bags, too. To me, trash can never be too big (family of five). We have private hauling and no recycling (except when we have parties with lots of bottles and such).

I am particularly happy with the line up we have. Fridge, large pull out trash, sink, then d/w drawers. It is perfect to scrape, rinse and load dishes. It is also handy for that seemingly endless ritual of cleaning out the fridge, since the trash is next door.

I agree with the previous poster though, when I lived in an apartment I was just steps from the chute, and after every meal I would throw a bag in!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Ellen1234, I am beginning to think you are right that I need a trash can I the kitchen. I moved my Simple Human Stainless Steel Trash Can out of the kitchen to my home office and it is really a great spot for it in my home office but it is not convenient when I am in the kitchen and need to throw things out. I have little dogs that used to dump my small trash can with no lid over so I was walking into the kitchen all day to throw trash and walking into the garage for recyclables. I now have both a trash can and a recyclable can in the home office but that is 3 rooms away from the kitchen. I do need to have easy access to trash so I will just have to find a way to store my other stuff. Thank you everyone.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

when I lived in an apartment I was just steps from the chute, and after every meal I would throw a bag in!

I live in an apartment now and I'm just steps from the chute and recycle bins (composting is downstairs though), and I STILL planned a 2-bin pull-out for my new kitchen (I just loved it so much in my old kitchen, I didn't want to be without it!), Installation starts today or Monday! (cabinets were - finally - delivered today.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Good luck, SJ! I imagine doing reno in an apt has its own challenges!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, is this an an apartment that you own like a Co-op or Condo? I live in a two floor townhouse with a garage but we have several one floor condo's in my small development that have no garages. I have a client that lives in a co-op that was once apartments converted over and now that he owns the unit, he did renovate his small kitchen with cabinets to the ceiling and it looks so nice and updated.

Only the Condo people with no garages get to use the dumpsters in the shed. I have to keep my trash in my garage or in the backyard fenced in area. That is the only thing I liked about renting in my last place was that I threw out the trash twice a day and only needed a small trash can. I also threw out recyclables often but now I have to wait once a week so I have a recyclable can. But I prefer to own then rent as I like making the place my own and I like having more space with a big washer and dryer.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

This is a condo in a relatively large building - 88 units I think - formerly an industrial warehouse before it was converted.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, in my area, apartments are for rent so you can't renovate the kitchens and apartments converted into condos and condo built to be owned are called condo's. Hence, you own a Condo which is what I own but I have a townhouse style as I wanted to have my bedrooms on the second floor since I converted my living room and dining room into a home office. I still have a family room open to my kitchen that I am trying to renovate as I dislike my useless cabinets so much. Thank you for sharing that you still wanted trash inside the cabinets.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Good luck, SJ! I imagine doing reno in an apt has its own challenges!

You should have seen the delivery men trying to wrestle my Thermador fridge into the elevator!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, I would love to see pictures of your kitchen! This is such a great post as I was thinking I was not going to put a trash can in the cabinets and now I think I need one as there is not much walking room. The kitchen is open to the family room but there is still a wall longer than half the room there that is a half wall and in the walking area is the kitchen table so a trash can there makes it tight.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Mtn--I would love to see a pic of your 30 gal trash pull out. Sounds awesome.

Also, someone above mentioned a pullout that opens by pushing it in (with your knee?) Did I read that right?

Can the foot pedal trash opener be retrofitted?

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Red_lover, my utrusta (Ikea's name for blum servo-drive) opens my trash cabinets when I push them. We love them and use them many times per day. Needs electric, but if you have a garbage disposal then you have electric under there somewhere, so I would think it could be retrofitted.
    Mine do NOT work as smoothly as the video, my installers had a lot of difficulty with them (which could well be their fault, not the devices). But they do work and are so great when I have yuck on my hands and need to open the trash!

Here is a link that might be useful: servo drive video

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I second the request for a picture of a 30 gallon trash pull out, if possible. Thanks!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio