SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattypearl_gw

Is there a small over the range microwave

pattypearl
15 years ago

Really need help. I'm trying to find a small over the range microwave - would like the height to be less than the usual 16". I researched the "spacemaker" brand but they are all 16" high, 29" wide and 15" deep.

The microwave I'm looking for will only be used occasionally to reheat coffee and food so I do not need a high-end model.

Also does anyone have any idea about the space between the bottom of the microwave and top of range? Is there some standard to be followed???

If I get a microwave with a 16" height, I'll only have 15" between bottom of microwave and top of range. Unfortunately I have no counter space, above range is my only solution.

Comments (225)

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    For those that bought this and are using it in recirculating mode do you feel it helps with smoke and grease after cooking something like a steak? Do you still find grease on the cabinets?
  • Anna P.
    5 years ago

So I read this awesome thread and when I realized that I have limited options, I bought Whirlpool Low Profile Microwave Model #: WML75011HS, the more expensive model, from Build.com, they had the best price. The microwave got slightly damaged during shipping, top right corner of the front plastic panel was kind of jammed into the metal casing by less than half inch. I am sure the rest is perfectly functional, it was brand new! I called for a return and replacement, and they sent another one in a few days. They told me that if I don't hear from them in 30 days I can throw it away. Now I have one extra microwave with a slight defect, which people crave to have, costing $400, perfectly capable of microwaving and more; what do I do with it?

• Related Discussions

Electrolux Icon 30' - Range Hood or Over the Range Microwave

Q

Comments (1)
    Additional info from Icon Microwave installation guide: ÂCan only be installed over ranges or cooktops with 33" maximum width. It does not specify "professional" vs. "consumer" but the salesman said that because it is a professional range you cannot install the microwave over.
    ...See More

Over the range microwave not over the range

Q

Comments (3)
    I am too short and I cook a lot, so I can't have the microwave over the range. I chose to leave it counter top and "built" it in with a pull out shelf to put the food on, stir it and put it back in the microwave.
    ...See More

Pros and Cons of Low Profile Over the Range Microwaves

Q

Comments (30)
    I did end up purchasing the Kitchenaid Low Profile microwave. I originally wanted the Zephyr Typhoon 30" Stainless Steel Quiet Under-Cabinet Range Wall Hood AK2100BS. I could have done without a microwave (I never use it) but another family member uses one daily and we have limited counter space to accommodate a microwave on the counter. I like the KitchenAid Low Profile microwave very much. It is very stylish and streamlined, creating a much less bulky appearance than our former standard size OTR microwave. There is a two setting option for the lights and they are very bright. There is a four speed fan and it is somewhat noisy on the highest speed, which I expected. The fan does a fairly good job at removing smoke / odors and I can actually see the cooking smoke / fumes going upwards into the exhaust fan but I still do smell some small residual cooking odors in the home. We have outside venting. I don't do wok cooking or anything extreme so it works for my needs at this time. If I can answer any further questions regarding this item, please let me know.
    ...See More

OTR microwave for 15" wall cabinets

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't know. I've been wondering if the cabinet would interfere with opening the door at 15", but I don't know anyone who's tried them yet. You might ask in this thread, where several people have posted since getting one: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-there-a-small-over-the-range-microwave-dsvw-vd~2696070?n=195[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-there-a-small-over-the-range-microwave-dsvw-vd~2696070?n=195) ETA Have you seen the videos of those microwaves? They do stick out pretty far. I think HD has videos on its site, IIRC.
    ...See More
  • Sue Marie
    5 years ago

WOW. I'm assuming you're in the US. I never heard of the company but would buy from them just by what they did for you. Customer service means everything to me. I am sure someone here would love to buy it from you. CONGRATS!

• Anna P.
    5 years ago

Yes, USA, New Jersey

• Sue Marie
    5 years ago

Ontario, Canada here. Our prices are way more than yours. Can't buy from the US because of the high exchange too. I've learned to live with a counter top model.

• HU-680102994
    5 years ago

Wow, I couldn't believe this thread has been going on for 10 years and not one company has stepped up with a solution. I have an older home built in early 70"s and cabinets are small. I also have an OTR Spacesave GE Microwave that is only 14" deep. When it went kaupt I was shocked to see that microwave were 17-18" deep and 17-18" high! I wouldn't even be able to get to my stove cook top with the microwave that tall and deep. I've been searching endlessly and just saw the Kitchenaid Low Profile but it is still 18" deep! It would be hitting me right in the face every time I tried to get a pot off the back burner. Is there a way to have a vent plus just a shelf for a countertop microwave since I rarely use the microwave. Only want one in case I sell the house.

• HU-680102994
    5 years ago

In my search found this OTR 14" deep microwave/convections by Bertazinno $546 or so.

Bertazzoni KOTR30XT30 Inch Over the Range Convection Microwave Hood

Black Glass Window 10 Power Levels Convection Cooking No reviews yet Write a review!product highlightsConvectionquick specsDimensionsWidth: 29 13/16 InchDepth: 14 7/8 InchHeight: 16 1/8 InchFeaturesCapacity: 1.5 Cu. Ft.

Here is the web site

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KOTR30XT.html

Sounds too good to be true with both microwave/convection. Think I will call them.

• Sue Marie
    5 years ago

Yes, it's sad that the companies don't listen to the consumer. Many, like me, had to reluctantly buy countertop models and I know some others who decided they could do without a microwave. The GE spacemaker was the smallest in Canada when I needed one 3 yrs ago. That one even changed so much it wouldn't fit. Why they thought we'd like to remodel the backsplash, move cupboards while hitting the bottom of the miicro with pot lids and like you said, have it right in your face is beyond me. It's not like we were asking for something to be re-tooled, we just wanted the sizes that were available previously. I was expecting to pay about $250 in Canada. The US quoted prices here can be as high as doubled in Canada. I did see the one low profile one at Home Depot and to me it was unpleasing to the eye. There was no price on it and no one around to ask,and since I wasn't wanting one anyway, I didn't ask at CS. I hope the one you just listed works for you. I like that it resembles the one's we used to have. GOOD LUCK!

• Cadyren
    5 years ago

The above named Bertazzoni might help some people. The 16 1/8 height would be slightly shorter than my 13 Year old GE, but mine is already an inch low & I think the whirlpool would still suit me better. I don't understand the problem with it sticking out like the old time cheap range hoods. While it would be slightly lower than my old range hood, it would give me so much more height. It would cover the cooking area better than the present microwave for that very reason. Good find though!

• HU-680102994
    5 years ago

I checked on the Bertozzini web site and it is a combination microwave and convection oven so that seems a reasonable price to me.

• HU-680102994
    5 years ago

I checked on the Bertozzino web site and it is a combination microwave and convection oven so that seem like a good price. I too like the shape better than the Kitchenaid low profile with its 18" depth.

• Cadyren
    5 years ago

It is very nice, but I realized it is shorter than the shortest GE I can buy now (16.5) & my old one is 15.5 tall, so the Whirlpool is still my only possibility for replacement. Here's hoping mine holds on for a few more years & others come out with something suitable.

• Cadyren
    5 years ago

Yea, just realized my current GE is 15.5 inches, so this is smaller than new ones, but not suitable for me. Hope mine holds on for another year or two & others come out with suitable replacements!

• HU-766882813
    5 years ago

I believe there‘s a solution (at least to 2 of the 3 dimensions we’ve been looking for)

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/cooking/microwaves/over-the-range/p.1.1-cu.-ft.-low-profile-microwave-hood-combination.wml75011hw.html

• Janet
    5 years ago
    The new low profile ones like Whirlpool do stick out 18”, because it’s taking the place of an exhaust hood, that also sticks out further. The 10.5 height allows you to mount it higher, like a hood, giving more space between the cooktop and the micro/hood. Some give and take here.
  • HU-766882813
    5 years ago

Exactly Janet. Thats what i meant by 2 of 3 dimensions. Here are the exact dimensions from the manufacturer:

• Depth18.0 in
    • Height10-5/16 in
    • Width29-7/8 in

i love the height, and the width is perfect because its the exact same as my current whirlpool it’s replacing.

I believe the 18in depth will be good in certain ways, but i certainly would prefer if it was 16in like my current whirlpool (which is 15“ in height - way more than ideal)

• Jason Bowles
    5 years ago

Has anyone pulled out the halogen bulbs to get the model #? the whirlpool site only shows one bulb and it is a G9 type bulb but dont know if both are G9 or the interior or underside one is.

https://www.whirlpoolparts.com/PartDetail/Halogen-Lamp/W10709921/4248255?modelNumber=WML55011HS1

This is the bulb and they make a G9 led bulb so would be easy to change for led.

• mollymcbaby
    5 years ago

I found this discussion while researching OTR microwaves to replace our GE Spacemaker. The low-profile Whirlpools look promising, but somehow they are now priced at $399 and $449 for halogen and LED, respectively—a full $100 more than they were 8 months ago! And these are the “sale” prices I’m finding. What on earth happened that they cost that much more than they did in July??

Sorry for the rant, but this is frustrating, since our options are so limited.

• Janet
    5 years ago
    The LED model is worth the extra $50. Maybe they will go down in price again during various summer sales. If you can’t wait, at least get it through Costco so you get free delivery, and 90 day pick up and returns and extra warranty.
  • Sue Marie
    5 years ago

I found the prices to be outrageous in Canada. No way was I spending that kind of money. I forget how much it was when they came out, but I just looked it up and it's still $550 at Home Depot. OUCY! Can't believe they increased the prices. They can't be a hot seller.

• materialmarina
    4 years ago

I didn't know there were so many of us howling for a microwave that doesn't stick out so far. I ordered a GE spacemaker to replace my old one and it ate the whole kitchen. Sent it back. I would be happy for a less powerful one if it would be small enough. These things are designed by MEN but used by WOMEN. Why won't the guys listen to what the buyers want?

• Janet
    4 years ago

It does stick out, but it doesn’t take over my kitchen. It works for me because 1) I’m not short and 2) I quickly learned not to hit my face with the door after the first two times.

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

It does look good in your kitchen,, but when they had a design which actually fit and then they modify it so doesn't, who makes those lame decisions? Also, when it doesn't fit, every model except this one), means we have to redo the now bigger backsplashes or cut cupboards so we can use use the stove properly and/or be within the safety code. It's ridiculous!

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

I should also mention that here and a couple other places, many are choosing not to replace their microwaves. I'm sure this is part of the reason. I just hated buying a countertop model which I had no room for, so now it sits on my kitchen table which we can't use anymore. No room for one of those carts either unless I keep wheeling it around or out of the room, which would also mean resetting the clock each time. GRRR I love the convenience of a microwave for reheating. I remember how long it took to reheat pizza in an oven. Many aren't replacing stoves either. There's appliances now that look like oversized toaster ovens that are convection ovens and many are buying those and those portable stovetop burners (I forget what they are called).

• Janet
    4 years ago

This was designed to work in the space of a standard over stove hood, not a standard over stove microwave, hence it’s shorter profile and the extension out the front to cover the cooktop area a little more. I should point out that in my case, the cabinet over the microwave is 14” deep so it appears to stick out even less than it would with standard 12” cabinets. Mine was a total remodel, so was designed to take the most advantage of this design. It sounds like you are on the hunt for a more compact standard over the stove microwave, if there were such a thing, but this is something else.

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

Many mentioned the GE Spacemaker. When I was looking (I think 3 yrs ago), I found out this was the smallest in Canada and this was considered compact. ,Many want to replace their OTR appliances with similar sized microwaves so they don't have to do renovations. Most were a standard size and all but the new one's looked like they fit in width, depth and height. These new ones are totally out of proportion and quite costly. My daughter got a new kitchen and it's not part of her hood. Her bf is a kitchen cabinet maker and wouldn't put there. Her's is sitting on a shelf because no one wants in over their stove unless it's an issue with space, like many of us. I'm tall too and I liked the height and that I could take something out and rest it on the stove.

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

Forgot to mention that when I was searching and found there's nothing that would fit (it was before these 2 new models appeared on the market that I can't afford anyway), I found out that people were writing the manufacturers asking them to go back to the old specs...and this has been going on for over 10 years now. They just aren't listening!

• Cadyren
    4 years ago

Yep, when my 14 year old GE OTR goes, this will be my only option. I am actually excited to get one, but my microwave won't die! The smallest other model I could find is 16.5 inches high & my present is 15.5. Truthfully mine is an inch too low now, so nothing but these new ones will fit!

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

LOL re it won't die. Been there with other appliances. My coil burner stove and freezer are from '79. Can't wait to get a ceramic or glass top stove for easier cleaning. I cross my fingers with my freezer though because I cannot afford another 15 cu. and mine's FULL.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago

Can't wait to get a ceramic or glass top stove for easier cleaning.

Whatever gave you that idea? They are much more of a pain to clean, unless they are induction. I'd take a good coil stove over a radiant surface any day, and cleaning is part of why.

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

I thought since they were flat topped, you just wipe and done! Wow! What a letdown. Come to think of it, my mother's always looks drab and she's a neat freak. I did buy her some polish / cleaner but assumed she doesn't use it often. When we were looking for stoves, the coil burner one's were so cheaply made it was unbelievable. We only saw 2 models for sale. By the way, my mother complains that it takes forever to get the burners to heat. So much for technology, eh?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No, the heat means that any little spill bakes on.

Yes, quality is a problem with coil stoves now. They're all really junky these days. You can get an induction range for under 1K, though, the Frigidaire, if you don't mind it having a back panel:

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FGIF3036TF.html

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

I had no idea there was such a thing. I thought you were talking about induction burner that's a countertop item. This is what I would buy (they also come in 2's) if I don't replace my stove. How is the induction range different? They looke the same as the ceramic or glass tops. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/1800-watt-smooth-top-single-burner-induction-cooker/p/3834374

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago

Portable units are not nearly as powerful as the ones in a cooktop or range. Induction works by heating the food rather than the pan, so while the pan may get hot from the food, everything else stays cool. Cleanup is incredibly easy compared to a radiant glass top, and it's as responsive as gas. Instant response instead of having to wait for a coil to heat up or cool down.

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

So cool.. Thanks for the info. I learned something new today!

• HU-820787447
    4 years ago

Was really interested to find this thread. Nice to know I am not alone. We have had our house for nearly 15 years, and our old GE Spacemaker over-the-range microwave finally died on Thanksgiving Day, with the sweet potatoes half cooked. We have been scouring the Internet to find a replacement, but...all of them are too tall! The current (dead) one is 15" tall, and it's already a little bit too low over the range, so we definitely do not want to go to 16.5" tall -- can't afford to give up that 1.5 inches. So it looks like we will go with the Whirlpool or KitchenAid low-profile, even though we don't want it to stick out 18 inches. The 18" depth is not desirable, but it is better than the 16.5" height, and it seems we are stuck with one or the other. There is a business opportunity here for some appliance company that is paying attention!

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

I don't know how far back you read, but I searched quite a few sites in desperation and this has been a problem for over 10 years, maybe 12 by now. Many have asked the co's to go back to the original specs but they don't even bother to reply. I agree the added depth is ridiculous and many would have to change backsplashes as well. I honestly don't even like the looks of either one.

• h91745
    4 years ago

We were in a similar situation, and, after not finding the right short-height microwave, we got a cabinet maker to shorten the cabinet above the microwave, so that a regular-height microwave would fit comfortably. The cabinet maker took the cabinet doors off, shortened the cabinet in-place, then took the doors to his shop and shortened them and put them back on. Looks nice. He charged about $250, I think.

• Sue Marie
    4 years ago

Yeah, I looked at my cupboards and there was no easy way to fix mine and I didn't want to lose them totally. Not sure what manufacturers are thinking. My mom bought a fridge and it wouldn't fit under her cupboards where the old one fit nicely. She had to get her fairly new cupboards cut down. Fridges also stick out further than they used to. Mine used to be almost flush with the cupboards and even though the venting is on the bottom instead of the back and it can practically be pushed right back against the wall, it sticks out so much.

• luckydog123
    2 years ago

Wasted a good part of my day trying to find an OTR microwave with a depth of 14 and height of 15 to fit opening and not look ridiculously large like the standard ones do.

No luck, not even on AJ Madison as mentioned in above comment.

For some strange reason, no company can figure out this desire by so many people and thought that the low profile was the answer because the height is 10”. Why in the world did they make it jet out 18” when the earlier microwaves vented at 15” depth just fine?!

With all the design engineers out there no one thought of this dilemma?

The only solution I can think of is to get a small ductless hood that somewhat fits the space better than the microwaves do with a depth that is somewhat less than 18”. If still 18” or more, height can be less.

And then unfortunately have to use counter space and buy the smallest size microwave.

Doesn‘t sound like a solution at all!

• Sue Marie
    2 years ago

The saddest part is as of my first post, which was probably 4 or 5 yrs ago, this had been going on for 10 years prior. With all the complaints about the size changes, I guess they don't care to go back and make then "fit". I have not priced them in ages, but when I was looking the GE Spacesaver was the smallest one you could buy and they even changed that one. Back then, it was about $100 more than a countertop model but the new microwaves were about $600 in Canada (plus 13% tax)....and then you not only have inconvenience, but also alot of remodeling. , I opted for a countertop model. I was hoping tings would have changed by now cuz I debated about replacing my microwave and being a month without one, I realized I still need one, so when this one bites the dust, I guess I get another countertop model. I even appealed to 3 manufacturers telling them to read these posts and another site I was on and see if they go back to the original designs, they can corner the market on them and have many who want them. They didn't even bother to reply. So much for customer service, eh? lol

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

Whirlpool and KitchenAid makes a 10” otr micro and yes they do come out 18 inches but a standard hood is 22”.

• HU-20667610
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Same problem as many... May be able to cut the cabinet trim back 3/4" of an inch, but the current microwave is 15" tall and 14" deep, and the standard 30" wide. Bottom of microwave is even with bottom of cabinets and I wouldn't want to go much closer to stovetop.

Did find this Chinese-branded model: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Midea-Midea-1-9-cu-ft-Sensor-Cook-Over-the-Range/5002000427.

That comes in at 15.42" tall (or 15.75" on other sites), which is the shortest of the regular-style microwaves I could find. At 16.42" deep, it comes out farther, but not the 18" typical of the low-profile models.

May give this one a go with the appropriate cabinet trim to keep the stovetop to microwave height the same as it is now.

Seems like this model swapped the typical 16.x" height and 15.x" depth versus the typical models of today. Unless something got lost in translation, which is certainly possible.

• Kelsey Pereira
    2 years ago

We tried this one today, the Midea marketed as 15.42". That it is NOT. Straight out of the box measured the height and nearly 16.34". Not sure what happened there with their measurements, both Lowe's web and Midea website state it should be 15.42" . Needless to say will be returning and back on the hunt.

• Janet
    2 years ago

I’ve had my Whirlpool low profile for three years now, and still like it very much.

• Cadyren
    2 years ago

Can't wait to get a low profile, but my 16 year old GE won't die!

• Sue Marie
    2 years ago

I wish I had the older GE's that actually fit in the space. To get the low profiles, many have to change cupboards, backspashes,... They also stick out further than the older ones. Not sure about now, but when the two low profiles models came out a few yrs ago, they wre triple the price of what they used to be. I had to settle on a countertop model.

• Mindi Potts
    11 months ago

COSMO COS-3012ORLP1SS 30 in. Slim Over The Range Microwave, Black

• Sue Marie
    11 months ago

Thanks for posting. Well someone finally decided to make one that fits (well). It only took decades. The only 2 recently are a Whirlpool and I beieve Kitchen Aid. I'm sure they are in the previous comments from months or years ago. I checked this one at Home Depot US and it's $650. OUCHY Add 35% plus the Canadian inflated prices we always have and it would be unachievable for most. When I was looking at the GE Spacesaver before they changed it, it was around $350 CDN.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH