SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Help with Testing Stone Sample

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Hi! I brought home a sample of Princess White which they called a granite (in other places online, I've seen it called a quartzite). It is polished. We might have had a slight preference for honed. I tested red wine, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, spaghetti sauce and lime on the polished side for a few hours. While the polished side wiped clean, some of the red wine ran down the side. That part stained.

Is that normal since the cut on the side is "unfinished" and I would have the countertop sealed? Or is the side part, the same as honed and likely to be a concern? I hear that most quarries put some sort of resin on the stone before selling it to the stone yard. Is that why the polished side did not stain? Also, is staining the same as etching or literally, is there a groove in the stone with etching.

I will also reapply the food and leave it overnight and see how the stone does. Will also try the glass test once DH has finished a bottle of beer. However, the sample was clearly cut so there isnt really a jagged edge. I'd like to know if it is really more like a slightly harder marble than a granite. The other stone we were considering was White Fantasy which was called a quartzite

Anything else I should try?

Thank you for your thoughts

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES