SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Average cost for kitchen demo?

artemis78
13 years ago

For anyone who had a separate quote/line item for their kitchen demolition, I'd love to know how much your demolition cost.

I'm taking one last pass at our budget before we start knocking things apart, and demo is a pretty big line item. We'd planned to go with our local reuse center, and consequently didn't get other bids (apart from a few from general contractors for the whole project). All else being equal, we'd like to stick with them since they're a nonprofit, will probably reuse more materials than other demo firms might, and are ready when we are. But we haven't signed with them yet, and I'm wondering if I should probe alternatives to this a little in case we can shave off some of the budget there.

Right now, we have a bid for $3K for full demo of a 225 square foot kitchen---includes recycling/disposal, dust containment compliance, removal of a partition wall (super simple), removal of a clay-lined chimney flue (complicated), removal of all trim and moulding, removal of ceramic tile flooring, and removal of all cabinetry/fixtures/granite/etc. Cabinets are three-sided built-on-site cabinets, so not as simple as they could be. We do get a donation receipt for anything they can salvage, though that's not likely to be too much from a monetary perspective.

We're in the SF Bay Area so labor and disposal costs are higher here than in many parts of the country....wondering if this sounds reasonable, or if we should get a few bids from private demo firms. Any thoughts? We aren't in a position to do the demo ourselves for various reasons (not the least of which is that the chimney removal is pretty involved). We aren't working with a general contractor and all of contractors are pretty trade-specific, so no option to do demo through them.

Thanks!

Comments (12)