SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foolnt8

Need help with the 3 zones and Butler Pantry layout

M Frederick
9 years ago

Greetings!

I would like to extend much appreciation in advance, as this it likely to be the first of many posts across GW as we are just starting to work on building our "forever" home.

We have our first floor plan from the Architect. The goal was to get the primary footprint down. Now, I need to provide him input about the kitchen layout. I have looked at many pictures, tried to envision how I would use the space for longer than I care to admit. I'm now at the point where I need to think with others who get excited to think about prep, cook, and clean up zones! (As my dear hubby has no opinion!)

BACKGROUND: Following the outline of what information you may need:

- We are a family of 5 with three boys 9,7 and 2. We host all family functions and hope to be the hang out house in the teen years to come.

- I will post a link to the 1st floor layout and the specific kitchen area. The blueprints do not have detailed measurements (yet). I've requested more detail but using the available measurements I would say the Kitchen is aprox 20ft long, 10.5 feet deep. The BP is 7.5 long and 8.8 wide.

- New construction so we have some leeway on plumbing/electrical. I am flexible on layout tweaks. The bulk of the first floor layout should stay fairly stable as we have reviewed many different options with the architect thus far.

- Kitchen goals include a hang out area for the family everyday, a "dream" space (for me a least) to cook, a place where small appliances are all tucked away in useable space (I like clean counters).

- The space is for me to cook, host family events and the occasional professional event. Entertaining is primary informal (we don't have a formal dining room). We are a house of boys; we are informal in everyway!

Things I would like to have but not sure if all are possible:

o A steam oven (could be stacked with a second oven) at a raised height for the majority of our oven cooking. I debated long and hard about a full range vs. putting the steam in the wall. My preference is in the wall.I think it would make most sense to put this in the main kitchen area but so far the Architect has split the two between the BP and Kitchen.
o A small baking center (more of a pull up Kitchen Aid mixing cabinet)
o A breakfast area where the toaster could be hidden
o Snack center if there is room.
o I envision the BP to have a beverage center
o A pull out basket drawer for kitchen laundry (assume placement in the BP)

- I do know that I do NOT want the main stink on the island. We have used a prep sink in the past on the island and loved it. I'm flexible on the third sink in the BP (Hubby does have an opinion that we do not need it).

- Appliances. So far we have a combined 30 wide fridge with a 24 wide freezer; a 48 inch range top, a steam oven, a stand alone oven, and a possible microwave drawer

- Butler Pantry. my husband wants this for "food" (or a standard pantry) I see it as an extension of the kitchen with a floor to ceiling cabinet with pull out drawers for food + beverage center + place for china/odd size kitchen tools + a small appliance garage perhaps? But I'm open to various ideas.

QUESTIONS:

- How best to layout my prep, cooking and cleaning zones?

- Any thoughts on how to get my wall steam oven in the main cooking area? Without putting our main sink on the island? Or should I just give up and go for the range that has two ovens (one being a steam oven)?

Happy to provide/answer any questions you have. I'm stuck and look forward to anything that helps me think about it differently.

NT8

Comments (15)