SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momofmost

Too Much of a Focal Point??

momofmost
12 years ago

The plans for our kitchen remodel are in the final stages and we have to place our cabinet order by Friday (Yikes!) in order to take advantage of special promotions (free glazing, free sink base, etc.). So, I'm desperately looking for assistance on my choice of range hood.

Backstory: After much deliberation, we have decided to replace a cooktop in our kitchen design with a slide-in electric range. The range will give us an additional oven since we already own an existing wall oven/microwave unit. The cabinet line we are using is Schuler from Lowe's.

Our KD says the wood range hood has a 40" width (including molding). Most everything I have read on this site and others says that the range hood should be about 3" wider on each side than the range itself. Therefore, my range hood should be about 36" wide.

So my question is: will a 40" wide range hood look silly over my 30" range? I have seen many pictures online of large wood wall-mounted hoods with large, professional-looking cooktops and/or ranges. I'm wondering if I should purchase a 36" stainless steel range to keep the scale intact.

Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)