SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmcgowan_gw

Your Working Kitchen & Kid/Grandkid-Friendly Tips

jmcgowan
12 years ago

Like many of you, I'm in the process of designing a new kitchen. I'm happy where the design is at this point, a good thing given that the next item on my plate is to work with our cabinetmaker to tweak the cabinet design. We plan to be in this house for a long time, so here's to good decisions that will work for the long haul :)

I have 3 kids under 3. It would be nice to incorporate items to allow them as much independence in the kitchen as possible. For example, do you find having fridge/freezer drawers more useful (because of their accessibility) for children, vs. a column? I was going with the SZ fridge/freezer columns that have double drawers on the bottom, using the rationale that it would be easy for the kids to get their own drinks, yogurt, frozen treats, etc. But maybe it's not really that much more difficult for young kids to open the fridge and then a drawer (like on the Miele column)?

We are putting in a MW drawer, too, as this is both kid and adult-friendly.

I do want to design for the long-term, after all the kids will grow! But what have you done in your kitchen to make it more child/grandchild friendly?

And any thoughts on the SZ vs. Miele would be appreciated :-)

Comments (22)