SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecobuzz

Layout Critique - would you have done anything differently so far

EcoBuzz
12 years ago

We've settled on a kitchen layout that we think will work nicely for our family and I was hoping to get some feedback on the fine tuning. I'm also curious if others would have gone with a completely different layout using the same space...

Here is the original layout:

As you can see we have to contend with three openings/doorways. We aren't able to do any structural changes. The original layout had a bar with an overhead cabinet. We never sat at the bar as it was narrow and uncomfortable. We had base and wall cabinets on either side of the sink and a base + wall cabinet in the small spot between the range and refrigerator. The opening between the kitchen and the dining room was very small and we were always bumping our back on the corner of the bar while getting things out of the refrigerator.

What we've done so far:

We removed all the cabinetry and the bar, moved the plumbing for the sink under the window and moved the gas line for the range over a bit so that the range/oven can be centered on that wall and have counter landing areas on both sides of the range. We also removed the 8 (yes, I said EIGHT) layers of linoleum/vinyl and installed a tile floor.

So now we have an empty kitchen with a tiled floor and we're ready to build the cabinetry. I thought I would take one last look at our layout to see if anything should be changed before we go over the details of the cabinetry.

Here is our proposed layout:

We'd like to have a shorter and wider counter height bar where the old bar was with a larger opening into the dining area. We will not replace the overhead cabinet above the bar - we prefer the area to be more open so we'll have cabinet space under the counter on the kitchen side and a bar overhand on the dining room side. We will also have a pantry in the laundry room that is to the north of the kitchen so we have opted not to have a full height pantry in the kitchen which will allow for more counter space.

I'll include a link to our "Demo" photos which will give you an idea of what the kitchen looked like before.

Thoughts, ideas, things you would have done differently?

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Kitchen/Demo

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths