SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athenab_gw

Is there a warm, white granite/quarzite?

athenab
11 years ago

After getting sticker-shock at the price of 'honed' marble, I have decided to give granite or quarzite a shot. However, every 'white' variation that I see is too cold for my dark (little sunshine) kitchen. All the grays and blues in stones like Super White, or Kashmir White, don't appeal to me. That's why I stayed away from the economically feasible Carrara marble too. Too much gray. Now I am considering going to a non-white stone, such as Colonial Cream. But it's so far from my original vision of the 'look' I wanted.

So, is there a white stone with warmer tones?

Comments (44)

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

Have you seen Madreperola Extra? I saw it at Stone Source in NJ. Very light and warm. And of course,...pricey too.

• springroz
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Alabama White? Mine has some pretty colors in with a bit of grey, so it doesn't seem cold it is also mostly white.
    And, it was CHEAP, one tenth the price of the Calacatta Gold at the same wholesaler!!

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Granite (White Spring or Bianco Romero) w/ Warm White Cabs

Q

Comments (5)
    Don't want to throw something else at you, but marble, well-sealed, will not stain. If you get honed marble, etching will be minimized too. Nothing compares to marble if that's the look you truly want. I wanted marble for more than 20 years, but dismissed it because people said marble was a no-no. After doing so much research here, I knew I could do marble. I love my Carrara. Back to granite, Bianco Romano can be lovely, slab dependent. White springs was on my short list when I considered granite. River White, Wine River, and Kashmir White are light. There are some light quartzites that are lovely too. They aren't all available everywhere and can be expensive. Worth checking out though if you're going for light.
    ...See More

Need granite/quarzite advice

Q

Comments (1)
    Get a sample of both and test them. Samples are usually free; but even if you have to pay for them, they shouldn't be that expensive. Stone FAQ thread with testing suggestions: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2558824/stone-information-and-advice-and-checklists
    ...See More

New build-kitchen> Island granite ct warm woodtone & cool tone mix?

Q

Comments (65)
    Yes, on a Sunday- The drywallers showed up this am to start putting up the sheet-rock.. FLo- waiting on a rendering/drawing for the 2 masterbath towers from the kd. Went to the local little island hardware store that carrys BM paint, brought back a bunch of paint chips to look at in the house for a start.. Because the house is very open, looking for something that I can use in/for kitchen, foyer, Dr & living areas. Jan- we are building on a small island, off of another island, no designers here on this island...I agree with you on the floor issue, I just need to convince dh- about the flow and using wood throughout.
    ...See More

Cabinet paint color with Drift of Mist & warm granite counters

Q

Comments (7)
    BTW, we just moved into a new home with the same granite in our kitchen. The previous owners went with an antique white (manufacturer name) cabinet color similar to Benjamin Moore’s Linen White, which looks almost like a pastel yellow near the granite, and having tried several samples, we’ve found that a too clean of a white ( or worse, a conspicuously cool white) just looks a little off. This color of granite in person, seems to need something between - like a greyed white or near-white with just the slightest hint of warmth. At least I think we have the same granite, but ours has more of the off white base and gray chunks in it.
    ...See More
  • athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I posted a response that seems to have disappeared, so forgive me if it magically appears and I repeat myself.

ArchitectMama: That stone looks like a Taj Mahal quartzite that we like! We asked the fabricator to price it out for us, but it is pricey. It's almost as much as Calacatta. I wonder how it would look with White Dove cabinets?

Springroz: Your Alabama White is beautiful! I have not seen it in any stoneyard here in Connecticut. It is similar to a Carrara Statuerietto that we are pricing out also. It's so hard to know what the price will be after factoring in the honing of a polished stone. If it comes in at a fairly reasonable price, then I think my search will be over.

Besides the Colonial Cream, those are the only other stones that we are looking at. It's funny that you both picked those or stones that are similar to those!

• localeater
    11 years ago

I am planning on using Madre Perla in my kitchen. I have bookmarked some GW's kitchens that used it. Here are links if seeing them might be helpful. One is actually on the new finished kitchen blog, it is Hobokenkitchen#2 This is link to laura in lincoln:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111203225633.html

Here is a link that might be useful: this is pip's finished kitchen

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

localeater, Thank you for those links! It really is beautiful isn't it? The look of marble without the worry about the stains and etching. I love the backsplash in pipskitchen. And it looks good with white cabinets too!!! Here's hoping the price is right too!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Delicatus? That is what we put in our kitchen and it has a nice mix of both warm and cool tones. We paired it with dark cherry cabinets and, like you, really wanted a lighter counter so it wouldn't look to dark and heavy. Another to consider is bianca antico.

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kellienoelle, I didn't see Delicatus actually. I did see bianco antico and as I recall, there was a little bit too much taupe in it? I will research the Delicatus though. Thanks for the suggestion.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

It may be too much taupe for you as well. Although I think some others posted theirs which may have had more beiges so it probably depends on the slab.

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks beautiful with your cabinets kellienoelle. But, I think maybe too much taupe for me. I will look at it in person though, if I find it. Thanks again for the tip.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

This is called White Pearl Granite. It is over at HOUZZ and many marble lovers are discussing it. However, it does seem to lean to the cool compared to the warm side to me, so it is likely not what you are looking for.

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Atlanta Architect Soorikian Architecture

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Steph2000. It does lean cool. Looks like a carrara, where the background is more gray than white. Beautiful though, if my kitchen was sunfilled and bright!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

We are just finishing up our kitchen but so far we love our Taj Mahal. Like you, I loved the marble but I didn't think I could handle the etching. I also wanted something warm in color since my home has a lot of wood. It is similar to Madre Perla but I think with a little more browns. It totally depends on the slab, however, so you need to look around. Ours was mid range to upper mid range for price.

• bluej422
    11 years ago

Have you seen white princess? A lot of the slabs are greyer, but we've seen some with more beige/brown that look a bit warmer. I think the honed/leather finish seems to tone down the grey a bit as well, so you get more of white overall look.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1000 granite colors (white)

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

I tend to like the warmer tones as well and want the durability of the granite/quartzites. Here are 2 that are both warm and beautiful.

Here's a link that may be useful:http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031159529474.html

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

We had Madreperlola (Madre Perla) priced in 1-1/4 for our kitchen. We have 38 sq ft, one sink cut out, with a square eased edge. The first price was $165/sf and the second was $114/sf. Let me know what you find in your area for comparison (we are in NJ -suburban NYC). I think the first quote was especially high because the lot they had was exceptional in how light and white it was, hence the "extra" in the name. The second supplier had a more normal color variation for that species.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Mine is less than $110/SF. I am getting a 3cm, brushed finish, pencil edge, sink and faucet hole cut outs. This includes templating, fabrication, sealant and installation. I say less than $110, because I just divided the quote by the sf of countertop but I am also getting a 6 linear ft backsplash behind the sink which they have to thin a bit as well as brush and seal the surface and polish all the edges.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I wanted to add that I love my madre perla. The sample stayed on my table for weeks before my husband and I could commit financially. It was on the table next to other things I was considering which were caeserstone champagne limestone and corian witchazel. Either of the other two options would have slightly less(approx. $400).
    Everyone who came in loved the MP. My family did a blind ballot and everyone picked the MP. So I cut back in other places to get the countertop we love.

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback everyone! Sanjuangirl, both of those stones are stunning! Drop dead gorgeous!!! Wow! As stones, I don't know which one I like visually more. But if it were me, I guess I would go for the 2nd stone also, because I like light stones. I have never seen stones like that. Definitely a great choice for a central island. They both have such visual interest, so a great choice for the large island that you have.

The Taj Mahal came back at almost $123 per sq. ft, with templating and installation. I guess a bit higher than the prices that localeater and ARchitectmamma found. How long ago did you get your stones? And localeater, your fabricator is doing a lot for that price. I wonder if I should maybe ask another fabricator to price it? hmmmm.....

bluej422, I have seen only a remnant of the White Princess. I thought it was lovely. But I can't find it anywhere. The place that had the remnant, wasn't getting anymore, and nobody else had it.

I think I'm going to send the list to another fabricator. Thanks for the feedback on the Taj Mahal. Do you ever wish it was less 'muted' or subtle? Or does it make enough of a statement without being too distracting as a busy granite would be?

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

camphappy, your Taj Mahal is exactly the shade I want to find. I'm hoping I can find a slab like that. Thanks for sharing!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Our Taj Mahal was around $41/sq. ft for just the granite. By the time the fabrication was completed which included 2 window sills, two sinks (though one is an apron sink), a cooktop cutout and about 50 linear feet of edge I think it was around $100/sq ft. (yikes, I guess I shouldn't have figured that out!)
    It is definitely more subtle than a busy, colorful granite, though it does have some movement in it. My kitchen is north facing so I wanted to bring in a lighter color, specially since I have darker cabinets. The one thing nice about it is I can "dress it up" with other colorful items and not have to worry about colors clashing.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

calacutta quartzite-wite macabus-90.00 sq ft. doesn't etch.

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

localeater - Where did you get your MP? I'm in Westchester and haven't seen many of these types of stone in the local places. I'm thinking a trip to NJ will be in order when the time comes.

Thanks!

• localeater
    11 years ago

KathyNY76- My stone is from Elemar in Mass. I am in Maine. My fabricator just had a remnant of Madre Perla that I saw and liked. She located slabs for me, showed me pictures and then had the ones I liked shipped to her. When they arrived I had the option to put a hold on them or refuse them. Elemar has a decent website to look at and they have a location in New Haven, which might be a convenient drive for you. I used to live in Westchester- South Salem(near Katonah), and I probably would have picked a drive to Ct over NJ because I was so close to 84. Another great website is pmirock and they have locations in NJ and LIC

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Here's a great kitchen I remember for the beautiful countertop backsplash combo. Kind of reminds me of pipdogs countertops and backsplash. Countertops are honed white opal quartzite and look warm in tone to me, but I haven't seen the material in person. I love white kitchens, but I would definitely take this one too. Amazing style in a small space. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg112312189416.html

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

localeater - Ah, thank you! I was confusing your post with ArchitectMama. I'm on the Hudson side, Briarcliff/Ossining - so a drive to NJ is easy. But I'm also far enough north that I can get to 84 pretty easy as well. When it comes to finding the perfect stone, I'll make the trek! :) But thanks for the tips!

ArchitectMama - so I meant to ask YOU! Is Stone Source where you got your stone?

And to not totally hijack the thread - on the subject of warm whites. What about Dolce Vita Quartzite - it's beautiful!

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

localeater, the Taj Mahal that I found was from Elemar in New Haven. But it's not quite as pretty as the one that camphappy has. I asked them if I could see more slabs, but they are not to willing to do that. Shouldn't I be able to pick the slab I want?

That calacatta white macaubus is beautiful, But is it $90 a sq ft just for the stone? It's beautiful. I have never seen it around here though. I'm going to see if I can find it. Michelle16, where did you find that stonE?

KathyNY76, that Dolce Vita is beautiful too. I think I saw it somewhere but it was priced even higher than calacatta marble. But gorgeous!

• localeater
    11 years ago

Yes, I think you should have been able to see more slabs. It is unfortunate that they didn't want to make a potential customer happy. Have you considered calling them and saying something along the lines of "I was there a while ago and looked at one slab of Taj Mahal, it wasn't quite right and I wonder if you have others that came in or maybe I didn't see that day". Of course you shouldn't have to do this, but if it helps you achieve the end result you want it doesnt hurt to try. For another tack, Marble and Granite Inc, has a showroom in Milford. According to their website they have 4 slabs of taj mahal, 1 of madre perla(mother of pearl). If that is not too far, why don't you take a look at their website and perhaps make an appointment.

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

localeater, I did call them this morning to make an appointment to see more slabs. They were like..'well, all the stones are pretty much the same. Maybe we can split the pile in half and you can see the top stone and the top stone of the second pile'. That was about as willing as they were.

Marble and Granite is also very close to me. I didn't realize they had any. I will go there first thing in the morning. Thanks for the tip! I had been there before but didn't see it.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

ATHENAB- just saw this- the slab was from reliance in nj, the fabricator is atlas, nj as well- the total price was 90.00, hope that helps, ask for elizabeth at atlas, she is very knowledgeable.

• LisaSE
    11 years ago

Look up Serra Polished quartz by Pental. It is mostly white, with beige and gray through out. I picked it because I love the look of marble (but not the work) and I wanted wanted some warm colors with keeping it mostly white. I love how the beige streaks are warm, and the gray steaks goes with my stainless appliances...

Good Luck!

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

michelle16, definitely love that stone. I tried finding it in Connecticut, but haven't been able to unfortunately. I don't want to choose a slab off of a picture either. But that is really the look I'd love.

LisaSE, thanks for the suggestion. The colors are great, but I am definitely looking for little movement and pattern. But thanks again!

• kathec
    11 years ago

I only have a sample, but have you seen White Springs granite? It reads the warmest of all the samples I got which were Snowdrift, Kashmir, Delicatus, & Bianco Romano. It also has chucks of yellow - mica maybe?

Here's the sample I got. I took it outside for a picture. It's an overcast day so the light is more even than inside.

Kathe

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kathe. I did see it once, but I don't remember where. I remember pausing and liking it, but at that point, I was still thinking only marble. I might still be? It looks nice. I'll try to hunt it down again and take another look.

• jllc7
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Sienna Beige granite?

• michelle16
    11 years ago

athenab- you might want to call elizabeth from atlas, conn. is not that far, or maybe she can give you an idea of who has it in your area. let me know if u want the number.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

The yellow in that White Springs sample looks like sealer or filler. Notice how it is only on the surface and not in the broken edge. Also, it doesn't look like any mineral that I can think of. Not that that makes it any less pretty, but it might make it more variable depending on the color of filler used and how much filler was needed on a given piece.

It's a beautiful stone, I really like the whiteness of it.

Karin

• kimpossible3382
    11 years ago

My Princess White Quartzite is much warmer than others I've seen posted on here. I think almost all granite/quartzite depends on the slab. Keep looking and you'll find it!

• kimpossible3382
    11 years ago

My Princess White Quartzite is much warmer than others I've seen posted on here. I think almost all granite/quartzite depends on the slab. Keep looking and you'll find it!

{{!gwi}}

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that we're just going to bite the bullet and go for marble. We found a fairly large slab, 124 x 77 of Carrara Statuarietto. Although it has a lot of gray veining, it is really a white marble. I just hope it's large enough. I am NOT going to buy a 2nd slab for just a few square feet.

Did your fabricators ever inspect the stone you wanted before you purchased it to verify that it would work? My fabricator said that the slab 'should' be large enough. Isn't there a way to be certain?

Michelle16, if this slab doesn't work, I will probably take you up on calling Elisabeth.

• veevs
    11 years ago

hey athen, dont know if you decided already but i love my bianco romano granite- just putting that out there :) i was scared it'd be too much gray but the main background color is really a warm cream/off white. here are some pics (from my 'help me with my backsplash' album lol)

Here is a link that might be useful: bianco romano

• athenab
    Original Author
    11 years ago

veevs, I was all set to go with a marble, carrara statuarietto, but at the 11th hour, I changed my mind. I had looked at bianco romano previously, but the slabs that I had seen had a lot of peach? Anyway, we're going with the Colonial Cream granite that we all liked from the beginning. Thanks for the tip though!

• scorpionleather
    10 years ago

Baccarat quartzite (from Granitex Italy) is a light cream, a few shades lighter than travertine.

• Kath
    3 years ago

Love the look of the counters listed, please years later how has each held up?