SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luv2laf_gw

Almost finished Alder, Silestone and Granite Kitchen

Luv2Laf
12 years ago

Hi there.

I found this forum about 1/2 way through the renovation of my kitchen this summer. Like others, I wish I would've found it sooner, but was able to benefit greatly nonetheless.

I still have crown and baseboard to go and some paint touch up...but it's mostly done and I've been loving it. There are a couple glaring errors, which I'm sure the experts will spot immediately! Maybe we should play "I SPY the Kitchen Design Disaster' - ha.

This kitchen is in a 1976 Split Entry in suburban (almost rural) Spokane, WA. I think (no, I know) I overdid it compared to other houses in the 'hood...but the kitchen is the center of our home and we will be here a while, so here goes...

Perimeter - Cabinets: Mostly clear alder (culled from knotty alder stock), Full Overlay SW Fruitwood Stain with Van Dyke Brown Glaze. Local custom shop. Counter: Silestone Amazon Grey with eased edge. 30" deep counter and cabs on Fridge wall including 36" pantry. The Baking center is inset with special hardware to allow the doors to retract (like a pocket door).

Island: Cabinets: Alder painted SW Griffin laquer (I picked the closest color to match the Silestone). Counter: Lapidus Granite with eased edge (48" x 110" with 12" overhang on two sides provides ample seating for 6)

Backsplash: Loft Natural White Frosted 4" x 12" Glass Tiles from glasstilestore.com. Super fast shipping and cheap samples.

Flooring: Triangulo 1/2" x 5 1/4" Engineered Amendoim

Appliances:

Maytag Fridge

Sharp over the counter Microwave

Kenmore Elite Double Ovens (not my first choice, but not a killer deal)

Bosch 36" 800 series Induction Cooktop

Kitchen Aid Downdraft

Bosch Dishwasher

Faucet: Grohe Ladyluxe Chrome (from O.co)

Sink: Blanco Performa Cascade Super Single in Metallic Gray

Lighting:

4" cans with CFLs

Island lighting from O.co (perhaps my favorite part of the kitchen and an afterthought)

Under counter lighting LED from Ikea cheap and works good

Cabinet hardware is IKEA temporary. I couldn't decide, so went with this style because it can be removed without damaging the cabinet front.

Stools are from o.co.

Wall color is SW Sanderling; accent wall is Uncertain Gray

Baking Center with doors closed

And doors open - the work surface is 36"; cabinet size is 42"

This was a lemons to lemonade situation...a major goof up turned into a very usable towel niche:

Before:

Thanks to everyone who has shared their experience and ideas.

Comments (31)