SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Remind Me Again Why I'm Not Getting Marble Counters?

kitchenkrazed09
13 years ago

We went to a few stone yards this weekend looking for a white granite for our counters. However, a few of the marble slabs we saw made me nearly swoon. I had decided to try to find one of the beautiful white granites that resembled marble so that I could have the best of both worlds, but some of the marble we saw was simply gorgeous.

I'm not the type to like the "worn in" look that polished marble will undoubtedly obtain and I don't want to be super worried about the counters. I'm starting to wonder if honed marble, sealed properly, and using Niffy's Scotchbrite pad trick for etching would work for me. Hmmm, another problem is the slabs I saw were polished and I'm afraid that maybe the polished marble is really what I love. Should I stay with the more practical decision of a white granite?

Comments (39)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I'm not the type to like the "worn in" look that polished marble will undoubtedly obtain and I don't want to be super worried about the counters.

You answered your own question.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

kitchenkrazed09, Keep us posted.. I am going through the same thing. I love the look of marble, but so afraid of stains and etching. Our life style probably can't handle it. Kids are grown, so it's just us. But, we are likely to have friends for dinner, drink and spill red wine, and find a stain on the counter in the morning!
    I'm off to the stone supplier tomorrow. I'll just see what's there. I am also trying to decide what I want on the island and perimeter. Originally wanted black leathered on perimeter and walnut on island. But, DH is afraid wood would just like marble as far as care. So, maybe a light granite with the black? But which where ?? YIKES! these decisions are driving me crazy!

• Related Discussions

Remind Me Again Why I Live in Minnesota? Am I Nuts?

Q

Comments (20)
    I've been asking myself the same question lately. I was in New Mexico for 16 years so I know it can be better than this. But, duty calls; My Dad is 90 and my Mom is 81 so I need to be around to help them. They had just 2 boys and it doesn't seem right to leave it all to my brother to take care of. I do dream of living someplace warmer when I retire. As for right now; it's warmed up to -6 and the wind has died down so that the windchill is ONLY -27. It's time to go out and clear the driveway and shovel the sidewalk before it gets dark. Will someone make a cup of hot chocalate for me to thaw me out in a couple hours? Ron
    ...See More

Remind me why I live in ND

Q

Comments (12)
    Central & East Coast Florida record breaking high temps. all week, humidity 58% and climbing, drought for several years making our rain deficit (even after FAYE last year dropping 26") in the feet not inches, water restrictions, sink holes opening up all over from collapsing aquafirs and crazy dry technicolor lightening storms, water spouts on lakes rivers and ocean, tornadoes, hurricanes, and tropical storms all this for a few weeks of perfect weather every year. Still I'd rather be here than ND. CT
    ...See More

My counters are X and I would/would not get them again . . .

Q

Comments (53)
    We are putting granite - Tropical Brown - in the kitchen in our new house. After having laminate counters for decades (ick), granite is going to be a new experience. I'm excited! Regarding heat resistance - I understand that while granite doesn't scorch, it is *possible* for it to crack. That could happen if you put a very hot pan on a previously undetected crack/weakened area. The extreme heat difference (very hot pan/cold counter) *could* cause the counter to crack - major damage. That sounds like it doesn't happen very often, but since it could happen - why take the risk? BUT - in my house, we microwave a fair amount. Would a dish coming from the MW to the countertop be hot enough to risk heat damage? Seems like dishes that have been in the MW, while hot, don't get as hot as a dish right from the oven/range. Or is it better to assume that if I don't want to touch something with my bare hands because it's too hot, that it shouldn't touch the granite, either? I've been told that Tropical Brown is practically bulletproof. Does that mean it's more heat resistant, or what?
    ...See More

Remind me again about the clicking sound upon booting

Q

Comments (11)
    I don't know how big your hard drive is .. 5 yrs ago, they could be big or small. Regular hard drives are not overly pricey 50 to 100 dollar range if not huge... but you would need a usb hard drive enclosure which can be had fairly cheap.. I think I paid like $15 for one from newegg. Then you can just buy a new hard drive, clone th old one to it. Most new hard drives will have a cloning program you can download from the manufactures websire. Or there are free clone programs too. Most laptop hard drives are pretty simple - remove a panel from the bottom... but I don't know Sony ways. Spinner drive are getting kind of old fashioned for laptops. A 256 SSD drive maybe could be slight under $100 or super fast 256gb maybe $150. An Sdd drive will be an amazing difference in speed that might wow you if you're not used to them. I just ordered a 128gb 10 yr warranted Samsung for my 3 yr old laptop.. about $112 delivered. It will take me maybe 30 minutes to install it and windows fresh. And 15 minutes of that is wait time.
    ...See More
  • blondie859111
    13 years ago

kk09, I can not help you. I think marble is absolutely dreamy and spend more time that I care to admit looking at the finished pics of marble countertop here on GW. I am very encouraged because some say with proper sealing it works great!
    Personally, I am ordering cabinets with no countertops till I can make up my mind. The price is what is keeping me from it- not much competition here in rural Maine.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

blondie,
    I live in Maine and got honed Carrara marble counters for less than the granites I was looking at (like honed Kashmir White.) I got pricing from several places recently for a freind. The best price is still the place in Mass I used (Gerrity Stone in Woburn) but they will come to Maine to template and install! I also got a good price from K&D in Windham. All these guys WILL travel. Pricing was everywhere from $70-$86/sf installed...

• phoggie
    13 years ago

In one word....ETCHING!! I did not like my marble at all...replaced it with granite.

When I complained to the marble company, his comment was "Don't you know you should never put marble in the kitchen!!" But maybe there is a differenct in marble because some on these forums seem to love it.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

See if you can go look at honed marble installed somewhere -- or at least get a sample of it. If it is polished marble you are in love with, I wouldn't put it in a kitchen. But if you like the softness of honed marble, no glassy shine -- well, I think you owe it to yourself to at least try a sample. You should be able to get a 12x12 tile or possibly a remnant from another installation. Check the look of the honing (can vary), test a good sealer on it, and then play with things left on it to see what it does and what you think of it.

I have honed marble and have had it installed nearly 3 years. My husband left coffee or tea on it near the sink (heavy use and wiping so more likely to have the sealer wear) and I thought I had my first stain -- but it came off. I've had ketchup, chili, chocolate and uncertain guk on my counters -- discovered the next day, and still no stains. I do have some etching, but the one or two that really made me sick have buffed out and not been an issue. The worst was a dripped leaking laundry product across the newly installed counter going to the sink as we moved everything back in -- not a food issue at all.

I tend to think you answered your question -- at least as to polished marble, but if you haven't looked at honed, I think you need to check it out to know for yourself.

• kharamarie
    13 years ago

lascatx - do oils and butters cause etching?

• twosit
    13 years ago

I stumbled across some tv show the other day where two different guys were giving their suggestions on what to do with a white cabinet kitchen. One of the guys wanted white marble--he discussed all the negatives with it and his running joke was that they would have to put the glass of red wine on the floor, but it would be worth it!
    I have no idea what this show was--but they were some funny guys.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I have had oil from bottle bottoms, butter from baking, various residual fats from kneading doughs and even Crisco smeared across the marble to knead fondant and I've never noticed anything different after I clean up. If the stone was not sealed, the story could be different.

We also drink red wine and I've never put my glass on the floor or I'd have a drunk crazy puppy. ;-)

Now, when I made the key lime pie and had to squeeze a bag of key limes, I did it on the island where I have granite. Even though my son spilled a bottle of lemon juice on the marble (we wiped it up quickly) I wasn't willing to go that far and see how much dripped outside of the bowl and sat there while I kept working. On that spilled lemon juice though, we honestly didn't notice any change in the stone -- the sealer was still very fresh and I was told it wouldn't prevent etching but might buy you the advantage of a slight delay. If you mix marble with another stone, you can have the advantages of both.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

lascatx, what kind of marble do you have, and what was the sealer you used? I'd love to be able to have honed marble that behaves like yours but have never gotten it because of horror stories etc.

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

KK09, when I was shopping for countertop material most of the stone yards I went to had marble. I was so drawn to the color and patterns and the serene look. But the employees at several stone yards warned me away from it for the kitchen. "Oh no, you can't use it there; too porous, it etches, you'll have chips, easily stains, won't stay looking nice, ..." OK, OK, I get it.

I decided on a white granite and I'm enjoying the variability and movement in the stone. There's more to look at then there would have been with marble. I just had some marble from my fabricatorâÂÂs bone yard installed in the powder room on the vanity. It's lovely and I'm not going to worry about wear and tear.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the responses. Lascatx - You make a lot of sense. Why don't I get a sample and see for myself? I have the same questions as Bigdoglover, what type of marble do you have and what type of sealer did you use? How often do you have to seal it?

Joan2121 - I hear you about all of these decisions. It's enough to drive a person mad. (That person being my husband since I'm sure I'm driving him crazy with my TKO.)

Newcastlemom - What type of granite did you choose? Do you have any photos posted?

Blondie - Marble is dreamy, isn't it? I hope you find a great deal on it.

• sandlll
    13 years ago

I just had a honed marble island installed. It has a newer sealer on it that is supposed to prevent staining and etching! It has a lifetime guarantee. I haven't used the counter yet though, so I don't want to recommend it until I've used it for a while, but with 2 kids I am really hoping the sealer lives up to the claims. I didn't like another granite really compared to marble so I'm willing to chance it. When I tested the sample though, it didn't etch and permanent marker came off, so that was hopeful. After I live with it for a while I'll update.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandlll - Oooh, that sounds hopeful. Please share the name of the sealer. (I'll take it under advisement that you haven't used the counter yet.) If I get a sample of marble and test it, I'd like to test it with that sealer on it. Thanks!

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

k-krazed,
    I'm thinking you already are aware of this, but the good thing about marble over granite is that it can be refinished on-site. Granite was formed by high temps/melting together in the earth, whereas marble was formed by immensely high pressure rather than heat, that's why it is soft and porous. Because it is soft, they can buff/polish/lightly sand off the top layer and it's good as new. This can go on pretty much for a lifetime, so I'm told, making marble a very permanent countertop. I believe it's done with a wet process in your house so there's not dust all over. The marble finisher I spoke with told me he has customers who have this done regularly. Apparently any chips scratches etc. can be fairly easily dealt with, where as with granite, which is so hard, it's much more difficult. An added expense, but good to know it can be done.

I'm not sure but hasn't marble been used as countertops for a very long time? Something about it just seems ageless. Because of that, I personally don't think I'd even mind a little patina on mine...

There now, I have pretty much talked myself into getting marble, LOL!

Whatever it is you get, this is a happy thing to get to do, so have fun!

• sandlll
    13 years ago

I found the sealer info that I used, linked below. It does make the price go up, but it doesn't alter the stone's texture at all. I can't vouch for it yet, but I was willing to go for it and try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Sealer Marble

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of this great information.

Bigdoglover, I was aware that the marble can be refinished, but thanks for the added details about it. It sounds less difficult than I had imagined. And both polished and honed can be refinished for a lifetime and with a wet process?

Lascatx, what do you use to clean your marble counters? Thanks!

• ajard
    13 years ago

I went through all the same emotions and with 4 young boys I dont have the time to baby marble.. I got marble.. extra thick ( 2inches) because it is DREAMY.. I cook like crazy.. entertain alot and dont baby it... I have NO stains.. the sealer works.. but etches everywhere... but I love it! I love the look and have no regrets....all my photos are on the forum... I tried hard to find something that would match the look, but nothing satisfied me visual.. but if the etching will bother you and more then having the look and feel of it then dont do it. Mine is honed 2 inch carrara.. my guests love it and the ones that traveled to Italy know the etching is part of its charm

• clax66
    13 years ago

Another one here who doesn't care for etching. And oh, how I vacillated between marble and granite when I did my kitchen 2 years ago.

I chose granite. And I am thankful every time I see the light etchings on my vanity countertop in the main bathroom:(

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ajard - I love your kitchen, it's one of my inspiration photos. I've been wondering about some of the dimensions. I guess this is the perfect opportunity to ask. How tall is your soffit now? Is it wrapped in two pieces of molding and what are the heights of the molding? Thanks!

Clax66 - Thanks for your response. I'll have to get a sample and see if I can get over the etching. Do you have polished or honed in your bathroom?

• amysrq
    13 years ago

One of the things I haven't seen discussed here WRT etching is directional light in a kitchen.

I had counters that etched badly. My kitchen has a southwest exposure and a great deal of light. Because of the way the light reflected off my counters, the etching was very prominent, especially late in the day. My sense is that if I had a northern or eastern exposure, or just less reflective light from outside due to trees or buildings, it would have been less of a problem.

I have the same material in my MBath on the north side of the house and see absolutely no etching at all....though I am sure it must be there.

So, I can't help but wonder how one's light situation contributes to satisfaction or disappointment with marble. It seems to be a big part of the equation to me. I think using marble on the backsplash is a great way to avoid the staining/etching issue and, in most cases, the directional light problem as well.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a really good point, Amysrq. I have a lot of windows and natural light coming in and I'm sure I would notice any etching even more. Do you have honed or polished counters and what type of marble?

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i've mentioned before, but i've had a large cutting board sized sample of calacatta sitting out on my formica counters for three years. i sealed it once and left it there. everything has touched it: ketchup, wine, latex paint, red wine, cherries... i just wiped it off and didn't think too much about it. when my counters were due to be installed i remembered the sample and figured i'd better have a look, then decided there was nothing to look at. if there was anything that bothered me terribly i would have noticed already. all this fuss about maintenance seems a little trivial. i can see however how it could turn into an issue if you decided never to clean up ...but seriously, who does that?

• ajard
    13 years ago

kitchenkrazed09 my mouldings are 4 and 4.. so 8 inches of mouldings covering the soffit. I have 8 foot ceilings and the 18 inch hood is 34 inches from my 2 inch countertop.. if that helps. I dont remember the size of the soffit exactly.. we did have some issues... I can find out if you need more information.

I dont have a lot of light coming into my kitchen at all which DOES help the visual on my marble.

• caayu
    13 years ago

New to the blogging era so please bear with me! For what itâÂÂs worth here are some simple (but technical) points about marble and natural stone. FACT: marble is consists mostly of calcite or as we know it calcium. Like Tums and Rolaids when calcium comes in contact with low PH, acidic products like citrus juice it will naturally react and cause the calcium to dissolve. The deterioration of the antacid represents the surface of your marble countertop by a process known as etching. This is why, when you have heartburn or acid inter-gestation, calcium is the product of choice to neutralize the acids and to restore the PH balance in your digestive duct. FACT: pharmaceutical industry consumes more marble, than the US imports for countertops and monument combined!
    Currently there is nothing on the market that changes the mineral composition of marble. There are no impregnating sealers, special potions or pixy dust that will protect marble from etching. FACT: marble will patina over time. It is expected to see ware and tear on a marble countertop; in most cases this is seen as sign or authenticity, however, everyone has a right to their opinion. If you donâÂÂt like the âÂÂlived inâ look of marble than selecting another type of material would be recommend. So what are our options? White granite seems to be the next logical approach; however it may not be the next best thing. There are dozens of white-ish colored granites available but you need to know that they are not all created equal. FACT: some white colored granites are more porous than white marble! The truth is, depending on the type of âÂÂgraniteâ you select it may not be classified as granite! What⦠I am not a geologist but I do know that very few countertops market as granite are in fact true granites, but what does that mean to me? The method by which natural stone is created plays a significant role in is performance attributions. I guess what I am trying to say is it is just as important express your expectations regardless of what material you are interested. Selling marble without mentioning the word etching is irresponsible, selling white granite without discussing an appropriate sealant application is just as thoughtless. Like I had mentioned not all granites are created equal, Uba Tuba may not benefit from a sealer, but try living with un-sealed imperial white for a few days and avoiding the unsightly dark water rings, I assure you itâÂÂs not likely. So, what do you do if you like the look of marble but want the durability of granite? I would suggest researching quartzite. No not the engineered quart, real 100% natural quartz. They are becoming more and more popular with variations ranging from light grays to warm earth tones. They have similar veining characteristics of marble but because they are not comprised of calcite they wonâÂÂt etch. FACT: depending on the type, natural quartz is harder and denser than...

• niffy
    13 years ago

I'm sure you can predict my opinion.... Get the marble!

I am not relaxed. I don't like wrinkled linen. I am a total Type A. And I love my marble. I do take care of my etches when I find them, but I am also amazed that they are far less noticeable than I expected. Our countertop is honed to a very matte finish, and I do think that makes a difference. If I ever get enough etching for it to bug me, I will have the tops refinished and move on, still loving the veining and feel of my marble! 8 months in and it still looks great.

Question for those who roll dough on the marble.... Does yours absorb oils, etc? I haven't tried it yet, but Thanksgiving is coming up. You don't get big grease blobs on there, do you? 'cause as noted, I am not a patina kind of gal....

• momqs
    13 years ago

We have a white quartzite that looks a lot like marble from afar but up close it's definitely a different stone. There are three different types of crystals in the quartzite - shiny, polished, and dull. I was so afraid of the risk of etching and staining with marble, but the funny thing is that when you look at my stone in the right light it looks like there is etching everywhere.

It looks natural rather than the ring of a glass, but it's not a smooth shiny surface. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my stone, it has more character than marble would, so I'm thrilled. But be sure to look at the stone you buy in many different types of light if you are concerned about etching.

I had the same swoon with marble at the stone yards, and when I'm across the room from our countertop it has the same affect on me that marble did, so hold out for a stone that makes you swoon. It's totally worth it and you won't mind it's limitations if it makes you feel that good when you look at it.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

KK09, I did not have marble. It was a concrete product which was polished to a glossy surface. The consensus was that it was never sealed properly even though that was thoroughly discussed with the installer.

There were other installation issues that lead to the counters being replaced, it was not solely due to the etching. But there were times of day when I could see circles reflected...well...hold on I think I have a pic.

here ya go:

You couldn't see the rings looking right at them, nor was it a function of the artificial light. It was only visible when the light from outside bounced off the counters in a certain way. I really don't think it would have been an issue in a kitchen with a different exposure.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Ajard. That does help. We have virtually the same dimensions for our soffit, moldings, cabinets, etc. It helps to see what it will look like.

Thank you all for taking the time to post and giving me your insight. I really appreciate it. It always helps to hear a number of different opinions. If I can't find a granite that I love, I think I feel more comfortable getting marble based on all of the comments. I will be sure to get some samples and test them myself. Momqs, I agree, it is worth waiting for something that makes you swoon. I hope I find it!

• momqs
    13 years ago

I thought I'd post a few pics of my counter so you can see that there are quartzites that are reminiscent of marble.

You should also take a look at Sochi's quartzite because it's really different from mine, but also looks like it's marble.

My counter:

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Momqs - I actually gasped when I saw it. It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photos. What type of quartzite do you have?

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I had counters that etched badly. My kitchen has a southwest exposure and a great deal of light. Because of the way the light reflected off my counters, the etching was very prominent, especially late in the day. My sense is that if I had a northern or eastern exposure, or just less reflective light from outside due to trees or buildings, it would have been less of a problem. >>>>

Yes yes yes. I made mention of this on some thread a while back, about honed vs polished. We have polished, and yes, it etches. I use lots of citrus fruits in my cooking and drinking, too, so there is ample opportunity for splashes and rings and squirts ...

I only see the etches at certain angles, they are fleeting. While the kitchen is open and light, we don't have any direct sunshine in there, ever. Maybe this is why the etches don't bug me? I know they are there, but I see them rarely.

• momqs
    13 years ago

Thanks! That's what happened to me - I thought it was a marble at first but hubby saw the granite label and once I knew it wasn't marble, there were no other options. I tried sooo hard to like something else (quartzite is expensive) but nothing else fit the bill.

The stone yard calls it white pearl granite, but it is definitely quartzite.

I'm not sure where you live, but they had over 20 slabs when I got mine about 6 weeks ago in Eastern Pa (Briggs, north of Philly by about an hour). I looked but I couldn't find it anywhere else.

I have stain tested it with citrus, vinegar, wine, etc... and nothing etches or stains it. I'm sooo happy about that.

• sfmomof2
    13 years ago

The other posters are right: quality of light makes a huge difference. Other factors - how "honed" the surface is, what kind of artificial light is installed, even size of counter. I say the latter because our marble island is very deep, so to the extent it etches it's on the perimeter - we can't reach the interior - I have to stretch to even clean it! Because the pendants above tend to concentrate light in the middle the etching is less noticeable. Our kitchen faces north. We have marble everywhere and my husband, who is very detail oriented, doesn't even know where the etching is. We also have marble counters in my kids bathroom (it was already like that) - I don't know the exact alchemy there but I have trouble finding etching even when I look for it - something about the lighting in there makes it almost impossible to see. I worried about etching like crazy and it's been a total non issue. The stuff is gorgeous. Good luck!

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the additional responses. I'll have to check out my sample pieces in different lighting. And thanks Momqs for sharing the additional details about your quartzite. Is Briggs the name of the stone yard?

• momqs
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay - yes - the stone yard is CH Briggs in Telford Pa.

• bickybee
    13 years ago

I've already decided I want marble. My kitchen faces north but I have two banks of windows with no upper cabinets. Still, I think I'll be fine with the natural patina that will occur with the marble.

Can anyone speak to the issue of honed vs polished? The guy at the stoneyard told me that honed is used more often now for a casual look and polished is more classic. He said it makes no difference in the etching or staining as long as a good sealant is applied (2 or 3 coats)

I'm more inclined to go with polished but I don't have anything to compare it to as I don't think I've been in a house with either in a very long time.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

While I really want marble for our kitchen, we have 2 small sons and I am worried they will mess it up. We have wavered back and forth whether to go for it, but dh saw a Corian counter, Rain Cloud, in IKEA the other day and fell in love. I would normally never pay more for a manmade product, but IKEA has a 40% off counters special this month if you buy your kitchen there, so that makes it also more affordable.

Since I have made virtually every other choice (I ask for his input, but his usual response is "I don't care", which translates to "whatever makes you happy" but also "if there is a screw-up, it is not mine", not to mention "you choose because I don't want to do the legwork"), I think I will "give" him this one, lol.

It has a softer/warmer feel than stone and makes less noise if you clink against it. I am not 100% convinced, but am getting close. I may have to contact the PA yard about the quartzite and get a price, because that is seriously pretty too..... We can do our full kitchen with the Corian, including upcharges and customizations, installed, for less than $2k. That is going to be hard to beat. Our kitchen is not small, btw...

I also forgot that if I apply for an IKEA credit card when buying, I'll get an additional 10% off and have 0% financing for 24 months.

Corian Rain Cloud:
    {{!gwi}}