SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnfever

vintage sink in non-vintage kitchen?

Our neighbors gave us the below 1948 sink that I really like and actually is in better condition than my ~1982 Kohler Epicurean sink that I also like but not its scratches and loss of glaze.

Yes, this sink is 6 FEET by 25"! The bottom says its a P6585 Hostess (with the most-est, I'm sure!) American Radiator and Standard Sanitary (here I thought it was always just one company rather than a merger). Complete with original faucet :) . A few of the drainboard raised areas (anti-runnels??) are scratched and non-shiny but the sinks and all rims /edges are in great shape.

But, the house is "transitional contemporary" (if you read this thank you Palimpsest for giving my house a style!) with nary a stick of style unless it's a Usonian ghost of some sort. From reading all the extremely interesting threads on how to fit/determine the kitchen style you want into your house, it seems to me that if I use this sink as the only vintage item-- *not* the boomarang /chrome edge laminate or pink/yellow/black tile schemes, for example--it can work. There is no consistent neighborhood nor resale concern so those don't give me a guide. I think it would fit in the "quirky and modest" category but what do you think?

The galley kitchen will have its countertops and the back deck tile redone, most likely laminate and a bigger tile(hmm 14ft with one grout line? Kertile anyone??), respectively. The cabs and white DW will stay, thank you very much :) .

The blue tape is the sink and the green tape are the basins. I love that it can be a "mini apron" and yet let me keep the cabs (as I need to do for budget). Thinking about how I use the counter space now that I would lose to the drainboards, I mostly pile the peelings/cuttings /garbage in those areas so no big loss. I do however wash alot by hand and the double drainboards would be very handy for keeping veggies on one side and pots/pans on the other. I tested my big saute pan in the sink basin and it'll work fine for washing. I also have a huge laundry sink that I use for half-sheet pans and roasters so I do have a handwash backup plan :) .

I guess that I'm thinking the vintage/non-vintage ok since so many times I've read "do what you love" but so many times people here have amazing ideas and insight, and certainly far better design sense than I have, so I thought I'd ask for some of the talented help here.

also, completely OT, does anyone else "lose" their cursor when typing in a post??

thank you in advance!

cheers

Comments (24)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Wow! Nice sink.

I think it could work in your space, if you really like it, but I would try to include a few vintage elements, to tie it all together. Maybe a plate rack, open shelf or two, some Jadite...something to 'go with' the vintage sink. I think your current tile actually would look good with the sink, but bigger tiles will be more contemporary.

It sounds like you're going to end up with a bit of an 'eclectic' room, which (if done well) are some of the most interesting and memorable rooms, IMHO. If not done well, they can look a little mish-mash. I think it could be a lot of fun and a bit challenging, to incorporate the sink...but it may give you some additional 'design flair' that you wouldn't have, without it. Have fun! :)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hah, yes, if it's "mish mash" then at least it'll match the rest of the house decor! If only I had my mom's milkglass chicken bowl and other doodads... The current tiles are in good shape but sort of beige-y, just like the entire rest of the house (except that red sink, who knows why) so I'm just reacting to beige *everywhere*. Thanks for your suggestions, lavender lass!

cheers

• Related Discussions

Vintage Kitchens - Portland (PDX) ''Kitchen Revival Tour April 16

Q

Comments (46)
    The Kitchen Revival Tour is this Saturday, April 16. As I understand it, you go to the Architectural Heritage Society's office to pick up tickets, map, and tour materials. I believe they open around 10 am or a bit before. It is a self-guided, self-paced tour of whichever of the houses you choose to visit, so the local and visiting KF'ers will run into each other randomly if at all. But I thought it might be fun to list some secret recognition codes that we and only we will know to look for. Here's mine: I will be the guy wearing chrome-plated Ray-Bans - propped up on his head, if not over his eyes. Anyone else want to post a top-secret, spy-behind-enemy-lines, recognition code? Your dashing yellow silk cravate, the boa feather in your chapeau, green lizardskin handbag held by the second and fourth fingers of the left hand? Just keep it a secret, lest we be betrayed to the stasi.
    ...See More

Experience with these vintage-y sinks? Bayview, Gilford etc?

Q

Comments (34)
    I also dislike apron sinks and, while I love the look of vintage, it wasn't going to work for my everyday needs. I installed the Bakersfield overmount in a very small condo kitchen and it was great. I could wash my 13 lb Schnauzer in it, but it still didn't take up too much space. Yes, washing dogs in my kitchen sink might be crude to some but haven't you ever found something in tupperware in the back of your fridge..... I digress. This time around I have more room and was looking at the Cape Dory. I found Ceco sinks locally and ended up with one of these instead. It's the same dimensions as the Cape Dory without predrilled holes (for undermount). Also the drain is in the center, but towards the back. Finally Ceco (UM 74, I think) started making sinks in the 1920's so I figure at least the company is in the right ballpark. Oh, and my 6 1/2 lb Yorkie could have a pool party in there! Check them out...they have a bunch of different sizes and styles. Here is a link that might be useful: Ceco Sinks
    ...See More

wanted vintage cast iron kitchen sink with wooden base

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi there, What do you mean by "wooden base"? Cabinetry? You can often find the large farmhouse sinks with the metal base cabinets, but I've never seen one with a wooden structure. Or are you thinking of a vanity made from an old dry sink? These can be retrofitted fairly easily.
    ...See More

vintage-looking kitchen sink that's *not* bridge or wall-mounted?

Q

Comments (27)
    It is true that some of the faucet companies make a level that they sell for lower cost through home center stores, but these will not have the same serial number as the more expensive, usually better made, faucet. I've noticed Home Depot seems to also carry more expensive lines too. For example, they carry the Whitehaven sink - and it is the real Whitehaven sink. A company cannot sell two different versions of the same product under the same serial number. If you see a well made faucet you like at a plumb supply store, get the serial number if you want to do comparable home center or online shopping. If the price difference is not much, I do try to give local companies my business.
    ...See More
  • remodelfla
    12 years ago

You can absolutely positively combine vintage and contemporary. My entire kitchen is a combination of style... somewhat vintage, industrial, contemporary, plantation style if you will. And... I love love love my space. I think the sink is cool as anything and would work it somehow into my home. My only problem with the function of the sink is the narrow depth. I have a DEEP sink and love how much I can fit in there.

• plllog
    12 years ago

You probably know I can be brutally honest, and also that my tastes can be unconventional, but I can tell you, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

If making it work would disrupt the kitchen, that would be another story, but since you can easily retrofit it into your existing cabinets, and the backsplash will fit underneath the window ledge, that 's not an issue. If you're going to have laminate counters, having the integrated drainboards is actually an addition to function since the most vulnerable part of laminate (discounting the kind of banging that could destroy anything) is around wet work where the water finds its way to the substrate.

I think the sink would look fantastic in the kitchen as it is. Since you're doing some other work, you can make it tie in. The secret to incorporating disparate things is to make your choices as if they go together. :) If the things are two far apart it can lead to too much quirkiness (I have some old calla lilies that sometimes pop up trough my ferns--it makes me laugh, but it creeps some people out). If you're careful to have intermediate things that all the outliers tie to it works.

Think of the game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. If the things in the middle of the most retro and most current lead from one to the other, it'll work. You're using tile for the window ledge again, and tile goes with vintage sink. You're using a large format tile, which is a contemporary look. Large tile goes with ceramglass cooktop (for example). That kind of thing.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it well. If so, just go with "yes"!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Mtnfever- You can often find vintage knick-knacks at antique stores, but why pay so much? Check thrift stores, yard sales, etc. and see if you can find anything that you like. Sometimes one or two really great pieces can make much more of a statement, than a bunch of small collectibles, especially with a more contemporary look.

The sink does look pretty shallow. I had that problem with my kitchen sink (not vintage, just shallow two bowl) and ended up replacing the faucet and it works SO much better. Since you're not going for a completely 'authentic' look, make sure your sink is not only vintage, but functional. It seems like that's one of the things that appeals to you about it, so make sure it really works, in your space.

If you're tired of beige, what colors do you want to add? Are you painting the cabinets? Mainly keeping color on the walls, or are you getting color in the countertop and backsplash? Check out some of the vintage kitchen sites on the Internet...something might appeal to you and you can incorporate it, into your 'transitional contemporary' design :)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not as shallow as many vintage sinks. For scale, my 5qt/12in saute pan easily fits in the basin --well, not the handle-- and the internal dimensions of the basins are 7" deep, 16" across (divider to drainboard), and 18" front to back.

My current sink is 10" deep and at 5'7" I think I would like a slightly shallower sink.

I'm definitely on the side of function over form. My golden oak cabs aren't the coolest, yeah I know, but they work, are in great shape, and I don't want to refinish them (been there, done that in a previous house). Ok, maybe *cleaning* them would be a good idea...

For color, if I can swing the cost, the backsplash on the other side of the galley will be 4x4 tiles in green, with a 12x12 mountain mural over the cooktop and a sprinkle (one each) of 4x4 bear, elk, pinecone, and aspen decorative tiles. I thought it would be neat to kinda "reflect" the scene through the windows on the other side.

So, remodelfla, now you know it's true when I say I love your backsplash (green) and cabs (lighter stained wood) :) . I love to see unique combinations that work, like your "industrial" SS uppers with "contemporary" sleek stained wood lowers with those pulls. I think a "unique combo" deal is what I'm aspiring to so I can love love love my kitchen too. Thank you!

plllog, I know I like how you describe your client's loft is going to look with (still?) aubergine cabs. I think I understand what you're saying here but, if I can steal your analogy, I'm pretty sure I would be someone who would think it's a great idea to purposefully plant calla lilies in ferns and then be confused when my friends are all creeped out. I'll think about the intermediary links so thank you for the "yes" summary!

ptamom, thanks for your support! It must be pretty good that you have fond memories of a sink!

lavender lass, I already have way too many knick knacks, just not MCM/vintage-kitchen type ones, but I hear you on the 1 or 2 vs a bunch (pointing to my 18 animal creamers on the window ledge...), thanks for the food for thought. I already mentioned the green tile backsplash on the other wall, and I'm leaning toward light gray counters. Just nothing else beige!

thanks again, and cheers!

• _sophiewheeler
    12 years ago

You can do it, but you're gonna need some big honking industrial cool type vibe somewhere else to pull it off. I'm talking hanging halogen work light for your center island, or a metal fabricating bench (with vise) as the island or that cool lock together race deck garage flooring. In other words, that sink is a powerful traditional vibe that needs an equally powerful modern or industrial vibe to counteract it. Everything else should take a back seat and just be simple clean lines.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hollysprings, heh, I currently have five single tube, 4' fluorescent lights that are quite industrial but not at all cool :) . I've liked the idea of cable lighting but it does have to be very close to the ceiling to work in my kitchen.

I like "industrial cool" as it implies very high function over decoration for decoration's sake. Sounds like plllog's client's loft.

thanks for your examples of how to work in the contemporary to balance the vintage!

cheers

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If it helps, we went retro modern using a vintage sink, the Kohler 1940 half version of yours with one bowl and one drainboard, and a vintage stove. We wanted what someone in the 40s who liked modern would choose. We went with vintage chrome hardware and white slab front cabs, so sleek lines and no frou frou. We also used vintage lighting to complete the look. We did not use anything darling or cute to go with the vintage look. We got vintage chrome canisters for the counter and even the chrome paper towel, wax paper, etc... holder for the wall (to be installed). None of these things are decorative other than functional, but were designed well enough that they look good. No cute fabrics or boomerangs anywhere in our kitchen (not MCM).

We have a cool shaped charcoal colored sectional with stainless legs in the adjacent den. When we have extra cash, I want a Barcelona chair or 2 to complete the older modern vibe. You do not need to use antiques to go with an older sink.

BTW - it was a major change to be more shallow than our old sink, but it is wonderful. I love the integrated sideboard and wish I had the version you have which I'd love twice as much ;)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Oh gosh, I'd use it in a heartbeat. It looks like it's in excellent condition, plus it seems to be deeper than most vintage sinks I've seen. DH's grandma has one like that, in great condition, but her bowls are definitely shallower.

• cincin16
    12 years ago

I too love the vintage sink, but I am not sold on the mural idea over your stove. What color is your stove? White also?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would use it. The faucet will not work very well, I'd bet, and you will need a new one.

I am kind of intrigued about how meals were more from scratch, so pots and pans were more plentiful at mealtimes, and families were larger, so the pots and pans may have been larger, dishwashers were optional, and yet sinks were so shallow and small, comparatively.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo, I like how you selected your items: "what someone in the 40s who liked modern would choose". So, if that amazingly long lived person moved to a "transitional contemporary" mountain house in 2011, what would their kitchen look like? Maybe this isn't what you meant (and certainly I'm still wanting to see your kitchen when the floor's done!), but I like how I can think about that person. Thanks!

gsciencechick, I've never seen a sink like this and it's nice to have good confirmation from people who've seen it in action like you and ptamom. thanks!

cincin16, are you not sold on the mural idea at all or the color or ?? here's the other side of the beige galley. The lower cabs are so bleached due to the UV coming in through the windows (got some Howard's RAF to try on them, not to mention some UV tinting). The fridge that you can't see on the left is white and the wall oven on the right is black. Eventually, the UCL light plugged in will become a regular light switch.

When I took the Sweeby test, the only thing that resonated was the mountain setting of the house and the animals around us, hence the mural and animal tiles. I've never been accused of not being a literal person... I thought that I'd really like to look at those green tiles while I work.

thanks again!

cheers

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

palimpsest, thanks for your vote of "use it" too! Yeah, I doubt the attached faucet works well (or maybe not at all) but there will have to a*lot* of penetrating oil on those threads before we try to loosen them!

One time for a school report I asked my grandmother (b. 1893) what was her favorite appliance, and the *very* heartfelt reply she gave was "running water".

cheers

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

No no no, that sink is all wrong for your house, you should let it go live in an older house instead, oh say, maybe MINE. :)

Seriously though, it's very cool, looks very practical and I hope you love using it! (Can you imagine the shipping cost anyway? [grin])

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think some people think of modern as over the top 50s-60s-70s looks but I like the older modern that had not gone so extreme. The 20s-30s-40s had some great modern aesthetics. It is about clean lines and a little chrome bling for our kitchen. We did not go full on "diner" look either but our kitchen does have diner type lighting. I like the old non-stone floors and the designs they used to do with linoleum, and not the 60s-70s lino that had fake tiles in sheet form. I love the old tile looks with deco liners and such.
    You would not have to go true vintage or retro to use that wonderful sink, but I think a nod here and there to coordinate with it would look nice. With your nature inspired tiles, you may even go a little "Craftsman". Try Duquella tiles, link below, to see if anything clicks for you. We ordered the 3T5027 Art Nouveau Iris Three Tile Set, which I fell in love with for the colors and look and is a little stretch stylistically to fit with our kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duquella tiles

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

northcarolina, it took three of us just to get it into the pickup! ok, me with girlie-muscles, DH with a bum elbow, and our mid-70s neighbor, but still this is one heavy sink. When we move it to storage since we can't install for awhile, I'll try to weigh it so we know what we're dealing with for the cabinets.

dianalo, I like your "a nod here and there to coordinate". I *think* it goes along with the intermediaries that plllog was talking about.

thanks again for all the great feedback!

cheers

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

I would love to have that sink. However, you may want to make sure that a garbage disposal will fit on the drain, because that is a very common problem with old sinks.
    Diane

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Love it - do it. But do budget for a new faucet, and check with a plumber before you select it because we have had to use some expensive custom solutions for vintage sinks we have installed.

BTW, I love your shelf. Ive never seen one quite like it. Id imagine all that extra landing area could be really helpful if you are cooking a large and or elaborate meal.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I cannot actually tell if you would need it but there is a product my sis used in her vintage capecod fixer upper . It is a DIY reglazing product. I think they got it at HD. They used it on their bathtub and it looks like new. Check on youtube..
    I do not know what plans you have for your space. Concrete counters would be perfection with that sink and some elongated subways with a lot of variance. Nemo tile has some really cool ones. I am also searching for that balance of rustic and modern. I didn't know it would be..this...hard........

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

powermuffin, thanks for the caveat on the garbage disposal drain size. I'm not sure that I would put in a disposal, since we're on a septic and therefore quite rarely use the one I have now, though it's ~30 years old and perhaps just gumming anything I put down it anyhow. Since there are drains installed in the sink, I haven't figured out how to measure the diameter--oh no, sounds like real life math! ;) Definitely something to know *before* buying a new disposal!

mtnrdredux, I have to take faucet concerns seriously from someone who put a pot filler in a rock wall... ;) Yes, the deck and drain hole sizes and what faucet will fit is now gnawing at me (heh, likely because the design questions don't have a finite answer like this does).

the ledge above and behind the current sink (all along the counter and wood-covered in the other rooms) is actually open to the half-basement below with windows for solar gain. It's a hypocaust system where the south-facing windows heat the air and then there are fans that pump the air under the north side of the house. We also use a fireplace insert but the propane furnace runs quite rarely, set at 60, and we're at 8200' with an -18 degree night last winter! Well, that was a loooong answer to your comment! :) I *do* love having the ledge to set hot pans especially, which is why I really want to put tile/something heatproof there. I put all the pizza toppings on the ledge while taking up the whole counter handling the dough--feels like a real pizzaria that way lol!

ptamom, I have read good reviews of reglazing for bathtubs but bad reviews for kitchen sinks. This sink is in good enough condition that I won't have to worry about that. Concrete counters sounds like they'd provide that contemporary/industrial edge, but I have concerns about the maintenance required. Also, the counters (well, everything...) has to be DIY which is why I've focused on laminate and lately soapstone if other concerns can be met. thanks for coming back to this thread with your thoughts!

cheers

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I'll chime in!
    The sink is so very cool!
    I'm feeling a bunch of envy as I just removed a sink much like that one from my "original" 1948 kitchen. It's in my basement. My kitchen is a small (now open) galley-style and I needed more counter space. The drain board areas on either side of the sink were bumpy and slippery in a way that made it difficult to set things like a glass down on it without worrying it would fall over and shatter.
    It looks like you have plenty of counter space.
    You might consider making some kind of cutting board to fit over the drain areas which would make it a level surface if needed. Or over one of the sinks. Consider how you might stack fragile glass/dishware on the side of the sinks.
    Please post pictures of it completed. I, for one, would LOVE to see you do this!
    Good luck!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BalTra, thanks for the support and the warning about fragile items on the drainboard "bumps". I hadn't thought about that. The drainboard on my existing sink is smooth so I have a grid-type rack sitting on it to provide drainage. Maybe I'll remove that to see how we do with glasses directly on the enamel.

Making a cutting board to fit is also something I hadn't thought of, and I even have a friend who's a wood worker so it's very doable.

I hope your old sink will work well in your basement--if it's for your laundry, at least clothes don't break if they fall over!

cheers

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022