SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svwillow1

Schuler vs Kraftmaid

svwillow1
15 years ago

We recently finished a kitchen using Schuler cabinets purchased from Lowes. Our next project was to finish off a den with storage units and bookcases. This time we order Kraftmaid cabinets, also from Lowes. Both sets were cherry, although we used a lighter stain on the Schuler cabinets. HereÂs my take on these choices.

DELIVERY and PACKING:

Both came with a factory trailer truck, both had very courteous drivers who carefully unloaded and wheeled the boxes into the house. As an aside, I asked how soon I needed to inspect for damage. They asked me from whom we purchased the cabinets, Lowes or H.D. when we told them Lowes, they said no problem, you have ninety days, and Lowes was very good about exchange, but H.DÂ..well..?? (The same question, received the same response when our appliances were delivered.

We did have a few minor dings on some of the Kraftmaid units. Not so bad we couldnÂt touch them up and live with them, but dings non the less. One of the cabinets however was severely damaged. When you see how they were packaged, IÂm not surprised. Compared to the extensive protection Schuler affords their products, KM uses skimpy Styrofoam corners, minimal cushioning, and virtually no protection for the finish. We had no damage of any kind with Schuler.

CONSTRUCTION:

Absolutely no comparison! The Kraftmaid cabinets are lightly built, the hanging rails smaller, air nailed or stapled, not screwed, and in general the materials used are thinner and of poorer quality. KM seems to rely on excessive amounts of glue to hold the boxes together. One can easily rack the KM cabinets, whereas the Schuler boxes are much stiffer.

FIT and FINISH:

Again no comparison. As far as the fit is concerned, on the inside of the cabinets, Kraftmaid had exposed staples, occasional bumps, where nails where not properly aligned, and dried glue running in the corners where they mated the sides to the face frames. In fact, IÂll have to chisel out some of the glue or the interior shelves wonÂt fit. On the finished ends, there are exposed nails heads that have been set, but not been hidden or puttied over. The Schuler ends give the look of furniture.

As far as the actual finish goes, all one has to do is rub your hand over the Schuler cabinet, then do the same to a Kraftmaid. Again, no comparison.

CONCLUSION:

I suppose one could say that you get what you pay for, but in this case, when we first compared apples to apples there really wasnÂt much of a difference in price. We went with Kraftmaid because they offered a few components that Schuler didnÂt have. I think we should have gone to back our original design and stayed with Schuler. IMHO it would have been far better choice.

Comments (2)