SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Alternatives to fabricating the ubiquitous 4" backsplash?

MizLizzie
9 years ago

I was so happy last year to get rid of my 4" granite backsplash when we remodeled the kitchen. We now have our counters butted to tile and it is visually so much cleaner and seems to give more counterspace, although I know it is just an inch or less.

Moving on now to the laundry room and guest bath reno, where we will be using granite. I don't want tile, so there is no getting around a granite backsplash behind the 60" double-sink vanity. But I would like to omit the backsplash where the vanity butts against the right wall. This sink is almost never used by guests, as they always use the open half of the vanity. The wall will be painted. Would it be crazy to have the fabricator cut that piece, and then just stick it in the linen closet? If we see a problem later with the drywall getting wet, we could install it then.

What about the laundry room? We will be (hallelujah!) adding an under-mounted sink which will be used to wash hands daily, and to soak or scrub the occasional bucket or litter box. Do you think I could get away with a glass or plexiglass panel caulked to the granite behind the sink? Any other clever ideas? I did see somewhere, but cannot now find it, a picture of a countertop which had only a piece of granite quarter-round to protect the drywall from standing water. It looked very clever, but possibly hard to fabricate?

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (14)