SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

regarding kitchen bookcase, again

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

[Explanation of why I didn't just piggyback on my old posting: The blinkin' software is balking on me. Can't figure how to continue my old post. For those who are angry because new posts cause old posts to roll off to oblivion, please forgive.]

Am now finalizing my plan for a kitchen bookcase which will ride between left side of entrance to dining room and the refrig. wall of my kitchen. There are 59 inches between door and corner. Have decided to commission our cabinet maker to make it of oak to match the kitchen cabs. We'll have a paintable MDF back inside the bookcase. Will have two columns of oak or oak-lipped shelves with some kind of mullion between the columns. Height will be close to or same as height of door, allowing display objects to stand the top of the bookcase. No glass doors, just open, adjustable shelves, each roughly 28 inches long.

Most important purpose is to house cookbooks and antique topic reference books in a handy way.

Secondary purpose is to house collectable objects books on other topics as space permits.

Third purpose is to deal with awkward wall area and provide an inviting niche for a small table and chairs with the books on one side and an art wall perpendicular to the book unit. This art wall extends from corner to the refrig. Refrig has no housing (We just bought this one two years ago to fit tight space in old kitchen and will keep it for now. May buy a larger, fancier refrig at another time and we could commission more enclosure then.)

Have always had the assumption that an electric plug needs to be embedded into the shelf unit somewhere. Now I need to get that thinking over with.

I need...

1) Any final comments from GWers on the shelf unit in general. Wadaya think?

2) Suggestions as to how electricity can be included and how you would assume electricity would be used on such a shelf (Christmas display at top and potential twinkle lights are two that are in my mind).

3) Any new images you may have encountered or recalled since I posted some months ago.

____

I am appending the old thread, which I was able to locate through Google but which my software or the GW software won't allow me to continue. There are some good references and images in it which may help someone else.

Today I found good set of images on Attic Mag which have set me to thinking again. They are dining room images. Author says that doubling up library and dining functions helps put an underused room to work.

http://www.atticmag.com/2010/05/dining-room-bookcase-walls/

This one has my attention because if you look closely, there are apparently permanently wired lights on the dividers between the columns. Also note the fixed shelves at waist level.

{{gwi:1960664}}

This one has wider vertical dividers, a design feature. Also, this one does not crowd in the books--has more display aspect because of fewer shelves. Note effect of all that black--sets a very dramatic counterpoint to the rest of the room and to the items on shelves.

{{gwi:1960665}}

This one has a contrasting color featured inside the bookshelf, even on the shelves themselves and on the inner sides as well as the back. Note the generous amount of white woodwork on the outside, which gives the contrast and keeps the bookshelf from becoming too prominent a feature.

It also shows a real-world problem, the display of notebooks of material. The photo shows matching notebooks with matching labels-- a good looking thing, it would seem. I have a friend who buys commercially made magazine boxes and paints them to match her decor so that her bookshelf is less messy looking yet still holds small paper stuff that needs to be stored with the more standard looking stuff.

{{gwi:1960666}}

Here is a link that might be useful: old bookcase thread with good refs for images and resources about bookshelves/bookcases

Comments (10)