SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Please help me with cabinets decisions! Several Questions.

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

Trying to get all the decisions made. It's really tough. DH only seem capable of discussing it for 3 minutes at a time. He just keeps repeating: "whatever you think, but we should stay under 30k". I am trying to get a kitchen that has more counters, and is easier to work in and clean. I do want to retain a vintage feel in this 1930s colonial .

First question - Should the cabinets go up to the ceiling? (ceiling is 8 feet) My current cabinets do, so I was surprised when my contractor did not design the new shaker-style cabinets that way. He is pricing it out for me, but I am worried that the extra cost will be too high.

Current kitchen:

Plan:

Are all these cabs crowding my kitchen? (It is 10 x 12). This IS the layout, there are no other options. I am restoring the old pine floor and plan on soapstone. What do you think about the blind cabinets?

Also - I was afraid this space would seem too closed in with all the cabinetry, so I was thinking of plain glass doors for the sink side and left of the sink cabinets. Would plain glass doors be best? The windows have muntins so I thought muntin doors would make the kitchen look too busy. Opinions?

COLOR. The cabinets we are going with (because we can get a good price) are

Description

I used to have white cabs and hated them, especially since I had white laminate counters. They always needed a wipe down. I painted them yellow and was much happier. I might like the "Divinity" white with the soapstone but am not sure. I do not like the "honey butter" yellow (too bright). I do not like any of the glazed finishes. The only solid color I like is "Sage" which may be taking too much of a risk. Too much green. My contractor is advising against the green. I wish the offered a blue like edlakin's. Maybe I can't go wrong with the Divinity?

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts.

Comments (21)