SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Odd flooring transition, need ideas...

kathec
13 years ago

We have a small transition area roughly 6.5' x 4' where our hallway sort of ends and connects to the kitchen, dining room and family room. It's a heavy traffic area obviously. The hall has a medium brown engineered handscraped hickory, the kitchen (right now) has tile and this area, dining room and family room all have carpet.

My dream would be to continue the same hickory throughout the entire 1st floor, but unfortunately, this particular brand product is out of my budget. A flooring guy already told me I should just pull up the wood in the entry to get new flooring so it all to matches. The wood is about 3 years old, just put in by the previous owners to sell. It would be about 300 sq feet. This seems wasteful and also more than I want to spend when my focus is the kitchen.

I can get another less expensive brand that is the same species, width plank and thickness, but the color and style won't match. I know I don't want to keep the carpet, it's low grade stuff and even though it too is only 3 years old, it's showing heavy wear. I'm seriously considering this other hickory for the kitchen and family rooms, but the problem is how to deal with this little bit of space of transition between old and new floors. The wood was installed and cut off in a wierd way, I think it shoud have lined up with the end of the wall, but it has a 6" difference. I DO have enough left over wood to do a sort of band there going in the opposite direction to fill out to the end of the wall, but then what? Should I consider a tile or stone here? Should I make it a bit of a feature? It's not a huge area, less than 30 sq ft, so not much material is needed, but it will be DIY.

Here's some pictures. It's a camera phone with no zoom, so I tried to capture it from a couple of angles. The blue tape would probably be the point where the new flooring starts.

Looking from kitchen

Looking from hallway

Any suggestions to help point me in a direction would be much appreciated!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA