SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hpxmirage

Make-Up Air from Attic?

hpxmirage
13 years ago

Had a phone conversation with our builder's HVAC guy this past week. We're just getting started (lot graded off last week). Wanted to ask about make-up air, given plans for a custom wood range hood and quality liner. I'm looking at a 1200 CFM inline blower (10 inch) in the attic with a silencer, such as Fantech, and a variable speed switch/rheostat. No decision yet on liner brand (see below).

Don't anticipate using the blower full blast much if at all, but our house is being built with the ARXX ICF blocks and it will be tight as a drum. When I asked about make up air, the HVAC guy said that all we'd need to do is pull it from the attic above the kitchen (it's a 3100SF 4BR house with only two bedrooms and one bath on the second story). We live in Florida, so just cracking a window is less than optimal for much of the year.

Even though there's a ceiling between the attic and the kitchen, that seems to be something of a zero-sum game, trying to replace air being exhausted from the house with air that's also in the house (if not in the kitchen).

When I asked him about hood liners, he said he usually only worked with JennAir (downdraft) and Thermador (which appears to come with mesh filters instead of baffles).

Getting our kitchen, bathroom and general HVAC plans right is really important to us. I'm not getting the sense that this gentleman is really on top of the kitchen part.

Comments from those with the experience to have an opinion?

Comments (9)