SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mebpoole_gw

Plastic tiles from floor and covering the ceiling!!!

mebpoole
12 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post, so bear with me. We bought a 2 flat in Chicago 3 years ago with the intentions to gut the kitchen. Now we are underwater and stuck here with no way to spend the $20K needed to do this remodel.

I am going to try to post pics-this has to be seen to be believed. We are only the 3rd owner, and the home was built in the 1920's. They must've gotten a great deal on these tiles because they are EVERYWHERE. I mean everywhere, including the ceiling.

We really can't spend a ton of money and we are DIY the whole way. My husband is great at these things (to an extent). SOOO-we need to put some lipstick on this pig (sorry for the awful Sarah Palin reference). I like the vintage metal cabinets and will put a fresh coat of white on those-easy. What do I do about these walls? We really wanted to get around tearing them out. If we do (some have fallen off-behind them is a grouted plaster like material) we would have to take it to the studs. We have a young son and just can't deal with that destruction. Should we just paint over it? Add beadboard to the bottom and just paint over the tiles on the top half? What about using that self adhesive pressed tin sheet to use as a backsplash.

Can we install 1/4" dry wall over it? We are going to do new light fixtures and butcher block countertops from IKEA (anyone have experience with that?). Its the walls that are stumping us!

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, tricks are so appreciated!!! Pictures to come! Really, I could win prizes for this yellow awfulness!!!

Comment (1)