SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parhelion_gw

Townhouse Kitchen - before and after

Parhelion
9 years ago

Finally, after years of lurking here, I get to post my own before/after pics! I took many ideas from this forum over the years and I thank all of you who have posted - you've given me inspiration and you probably didn't even realize it.

This first view is looking directly into the original kitchen. This was a contractor's kitchen built in 1982 and the cabinets are the original oak front with cheap interiors. Note how tiny the kitchen triangle is. The stove, sink and refrigerator are all jammed together. This layout could handle one cook only, and even then it was awkward. Oh, and I was addicted to refrigerator magnets.

Here is the same view now. Note that you can't even see the refrigerator (left) and barely see the sink (right). The kitchen triangle is now huge, the counters are deeper, and the kitchen is now u-shaped.

My townhouse is small and has an open floor plan, so the kitchen was one of the first things people saw when they came in through the front door:

Now this is what they see when they come through the front door:

A "feature" of the orginal kitchen was the island with hanging cabinets above it. The kitchen designer called it "the monolith" and my aunt called it "the hulk". The island itself was not very useful because of the kitchen layout. It was sort of away from where all the cooking actually happened.

Here is what that same view looks like now:

The new kitchen makes my entire townhouse look larger. The best compliment I got was from my daughter, who said, "It looks just the way it should look!" And now when the family visits, we can all cook together. It's a fabulous kitchen to cook in!

Comments (36)