SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

sometimes life takes unexpected turns...

remodelfla
15 years ago

I'll try to give the Reader's Digest version of why starting my kitchen remodel will be put on hold for at least a year:

SO/DH got his dream shed (12x24) from a work friend whose house was going into foreclosure (6500 sq. ft home). We had a flat bed trailer bring it to the house... happy hubby. The guy who GAVE it to us has a wife, small child, and two kids from a previous marriage who they may get custody of. Says to my guy... "gee... I wish you could rent your house to me for a year. The townhouse I still own is so tiny... I don't think I could fit everyone." Now... the house we were going to remodel is small, only about 1500 sq. ft., but bigger then his townhome. My DH was a cop with this kid (late 30's) before DH himself had to retire due to an injury. This guy was injured on the job and for a year was on disability... hence, $$$ trouble. Then the housing market tanked and he couldn't sell. So... the house will be his to use since we won't ask him for 1st, last, security... it's all he can afford. We'll only take what we need to cover the nut there. It'll give him a year to get whole again. So, we won't have 2 mortgages to pay and will have time to save more $$. My DH won't be staying between 2 houses trying to "pick away" at a snails pace on fixing the house after it got trashed from previous renters. The guy will fix it up enough to get it liveable for the year. We'll worry about how we'll attack the remodel in a years time. My youngest DS will probably move out around next summer and I'll be ready to move onto the next stage of my life. I say we forget the whole thing for a year and hit the road when I have time off from school and have some grand fun! I've already been hanging around this forum for awhile... what's another year accumulating info and ideas!!

And just this weekend I finalized my 3 best layouts!!!!

Comments (24)