SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Contractor woes...what would you do?

joaniepoanie
12 years ago

Need all of your expert advice! Picked contractor that I like a lot. He explained that anything I order through him he will charge a 15% "handling fee" (up charge basically) but that he gets a contractor discount so I end up paying roughly the same. I hear this is pretty standard, so fair enough. I got quotes by email from his assistant for 3 different lines. They were lump sum quotes and after each one it stated price includes tax, delivery, and handling fee. I picked one of the lines and the cabinet man came to take final measurements. We made some changes and I knew it would be a bit more. I got the new quote today and it was roughly the same, but was told the cabinet line was having a better sale than previous quote. Hooray, or so thought. When I stated that I assumed as in previous quotes that it included everything, she emailed back that it didn't and it was going to be $1500 more for the fee. I called cabinet guy. He went over everything with me and He determined that she had only added 10% instead of 15% on the line we picked. On another line he determined she had just added $500. He offered to call her . I then get an email from her saying the difference is only $400 because he did not add hardware to first quote. Not true...when he was here he told he allows $8 per knob and never said he had not added it in. The difference is over $500 and is a result of her making the mistake with the first set of quotes. Do you think since they made the mistake, the up charge should remain at 10%......or am I obligated to cough up the $500?

Comments (3)