SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nabq

Replacing a kitchen sink that's molded into a quartz counter

nabq
10 years ago

Hello Brilliant and Helpful GardenWebbers,

My parents bought a house with solid surface "quartz" kitchen countertops. The brand name of the material is Avonite -- it's like Zodiac. The sink's just not working for them, and they'd really like to replace it with a large single-basin stainless steel sink. The problem is the sink is molded into the counter.

We had a contractor out who said the countertop material isn't hard to cut, but that it would be difficult to cut anywhere past the back edge of the sink because of the way the backsplash and a ledge are configured, and impossible to cut anywhere past the front edge of the existing sink because of where the cabinetry is. This means finding a standard sink to fit in the space would be very difficult. He suggested having a custom stainless sink made exactly to the shape and size of the existing sink, but with one basin. This will be expensive -- we were quoted $975 -- but they could get exactly the sink they want, the drain where they want it, a flange long enough to accommodate the main faucet, an R/O faucet and the DW valve, etc. He says if we do this, he can cut just at the rim of the sink (right where the color changes in the picture), drop it out, and pop in the new sink.

The things that worries me though, is that sink and the area just around it are much less thick than the main countertop. I'm afraid that even with a 2" lip, it won't be stable enough to support the sink (especially if it has lots of heavy, water-filled pots in it). The contractor says he never thought of that and just hasn't had enough experience doing this sort of thing to know. I also worry that the rounded edge where the sink will be cut off will make the new sink less stable, too (although I suppose he could shave a little bit off all around to fix that). Do any of you know if this plan can work, or do you have any suggestions as to how to do things another way? I'd hate to have an expensive custom stainless sink made and then have the whole thing crack and collapse.

Thanks for your help and for bearing with this long post,
Nabq

Comments (14)