SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hvhay

Layout advice requested!

hvhay
11 years ago

Hi all!

I discovered the Kitchen Forum a year ago when in an excess of enthusiasm my husband and I bought a fixer-upper here in the Bay Area. We made our offer 3 days before having our first baby, so I think we might have been somewhat delusional. Anyways, long story short, we finally bit the bullet and hired an architect who has provided us with three very preliminary plans that I would love to get your thoughts on.

A little bit about us and our house... We are currently a family of 3, may grow to 4 or may not. We want a family friendly kitchen that is conducive to hanging out in. There's usually just one cook, but ideally we would be able to have another person around helping/cleaning up. As far as entertaining goes, we do like to have friends and family over for dinner from time to time, but if we have more than would be comfortable in the breakfast area we have a separate dining room that we can use as we do now. We aren't gourmet chefs or anything, but I do enjoy cooking and can't wait to have a kitchen that I will be excited about spending time in. I don't have any special needs as far as a baking area or anything like that goes. We have a big backyard (for our area, anyway), and would like to integrate the kitchen and yard better than they are currently. I don't know if I should go into the look we want or if that's TMI for right now, but in a few words we envision white cabinets, a light-colored, possibly faux marble countertop in Corian or quartz... sort of an unpretentious, sorta vintage-y look that will fit with the house (a 1914 Craftsman) that all my pastel Pyrex and Jadeite will look at home in. Light and bright is what we are going for.

The room is currently about 12' x 12', but the whole rear of the house will be reconfigured to include laundry, a bathroom, and a rear entrance, so the interior walls could theoretically move around a bit.

Out of the 3 plans, personally I like #1 the best, except I would prefer the range to be on the short side of the L instead of the island. I'm also loving the laundry room in this plan, although I'm not wedded to it. These plans are kind of a starting place for us so we anticipate changes as we move forward with the process. Any ideas or suggestions you have would be most welcome! Sorry this is so long!

#1:

From September 4, 2012

#2:

From September 4, 2012

#3:

From September 4, 2012

Comments (10)