SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjoe_gw

What causes non-flush drawers?

mrsjoe
11 years ago

I'm trying to cool down and collect a little knowledge before I call my cabinet shop to discuss some of the issues. I ordered four stacks of drawers. Of those four, only one has all the door fronts reasonably lined up. The slides are full extension, soft close Solice slides. It seems like the uneven-ness must be coming from the hinges not being attached evenly, but I have no idea about these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While I am looking for drawer info, I was also curious what the standard depth is of standard 24" depth cabinet frameless drawers with the undermount slides? My new drawers are an inch shorter than my face frame cabinet drawers, which I wasn't expecting because everyone talks about what a gain you get with frameless, so I'm thinking it must be due to the hinges.

BEGIN LONG RANT (no need to read, just need to get it out) ===>

On a separate note, I am probably over-reacting to everything due to the fact that throughout this remodel, I keep having workman make mistakes, some of which they HAD to notice and just leaving it like that, hoping I wouldn't notice, so they wouldn't have to fix it. This has happened with the reconstruction company, the hardwood floor installer, the carpet repairman, the electrician and now finally the cabinet company. Is it me? Do I have sucker on my forehead? Do I come across as the kind of person who would spend $10000 on custom cabinets and be okay that without telling me they put a filler on the inside of a cabinet because they ordered the drawer one inch narrow??!?

Examples: Reconstruction crew mis-measured two different door frames, so they both ended an inch above the floor on just one side. Unfortunately I noticed one but not the other. This could have been them hoping I didn't notice - could also be they didn't notice. Even though you would think they would notice the two sides didn't line up, I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and not lose my faith in all contractors. The cabinet maker mistake with the drawer they obviously had noticed because they put a cheap, unacceptable solution in place. Another example is when the carpet repair guy came to fix a seam and didn't actually fix it. One of his main tasks was fixing it so it wasn't noticeable and when he left it was still totally noticeable. You can't tell me that he didn't notice the seam was unacceptable! GRRRRRRRR...

Comments (7)