SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Anyone have an angled cabinet? Is 9 inches too small?

artemis78
13 years ago

We're getting down to the final details on our cabinet configuration---meeting with the cabinetmaker later this afternoon!---and I'm stuck on one cabinet. Wondered if anyone could help...

Our layout has one angled cabinet near the doorway into the room that we need for layout reasons; we're trying to fill the space underneath the angle. DH would like it to have 45 degree angles, so I came up with three options for the space:

A) 12" cabinet angling from 24" to 12" with one door for tray/cookie sheet storage w/ one shelf

B) 9" cabinet angling from 24" to 15" with one door for same

C) 9" deep bookshelf angling from 24" to 15"---open area for books would be 15" wide and face out at the end of the run; rest would be "lost" space covered by a panel on the angle

Because of the dimensions of the room and the 45-degree issue, we don't have the option of, say, a 12" cabinet angling to 15". These cabinets will be face frame inset, so actual door size on these would be more like 9.75" for the 9" cabinet versus 14" for the 12" cabinet (b/c opening is on the angle). With a tray cabinet, we would use it for storing cookie sheets, muffin tins, etc. We also have a separate 12" tray cabinet built into our oven, plus some space that could be used for this over the refrigerator. We have separate book storage as well, so neither "wins" on that count.

Questions...is a 9-inch cabinet too narrow to be workable for trays? Conceptually I like this option best since it minimizes the angled counter stretch and makes the counter deeper than the cabinets above. (The uppers will be 13" deep, but since there will be an overhang for the counter, even the 12" cabinet should still look as though they're even.) I've measured our cookie sheets and it *seems* like they would fit in a 9" space...but will it be a huge pain getting things in and out of such a narrow opening?

Are there other good solutions that I'm missing for a cabinet like this? The adjacent cabinet is a drawer bank that will be the same size regardless of how big this cabinet is...we would just be adjusting start of the run and the width of the uppers by three inches one way or the other, so it's not a huge storage issue either way.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!

Comments (2)