SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefkev_gw

Trash/garbage pull-out door mounted or not?

chefkev
15 years ago

I just installed a trash pullout under my kitchen sink. I'm trying to figure out if I should door mount it or not. It seems like it might be advantageous because it could be accessed in one motion instead of two. What do others prefer? Are there any disadvantages to door mounting in terms of accessibility, mess/cleanup or sturdiness? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Comments (38)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Ours are door-mounted....I can't think of any disadvantages.

We don't have a foot pedal yet, but I do want one...then I can open it w/o hands! It's only been a few months and I'm finding that several times a week I have to wipe down the trash door around the handle as well as the drawer front of the drawer above b/c of gunk from messy hands opening the trash pullout (same issue if not door-mounted). If you also want a foot pedal, it will have to be door mounted.

• User
    15 years ago

I have both and I MUCH PREFER the door mounted pull out. But, if your handle is already on the door, you may have to move it. Will it leave holes?

• Related Discussions

Pull-out trash can system recommendations?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey Gray, Yes, I wondered about the lid, too--although I think there are 2 black plastic lids, one in front and one in back, and I think--but not sure--they automatically some off when you pull out the cans, so yes, maybe not that tight-fitting. I'd love to have a stand-alone can. No room, though, unless it would sit practically in my living room :-0
    ...See More

trash compactor or pull out garbage drawer

Q

Comments (18)
    I think trash compactors are one of those things people either love or hate. I've never had one and would not want one. All things being equal I'd pick the house without one. If you put in a pull out trash, and your buyer wants a compactor, they can install one. If you put in a compactor, it's a lot harder to get rid of that and get the matching cabinet door to convert to a pull out trash. HOWEVER! The real question is: Are you remodeling for yourself or for some potential buyer down the road? Are you going to sell your house immediately after the remodel? If so, then yeah, you want to do what will sell the house. But if not, then IMHO you want to remodel your kitchen to please yourself. Trying to guess what some potential buyer might or might not want, years from now, is a no-win game. And in the meantime you're living with a kitchen that's less than ideal for you.
    ...See More

Trash pull out cabinet or stand alone trash??

Q

Comments (7)
    Gizmonike, Are those electrical outlets above the garbage pullout? How did you modify the upper drawer so that it would accommodate the outlets and so that the drawer front would slide back and then over the outlets like that? Fantastic idea. I also had the idea of putting a shredder on the garbage container in the back of the pullout cabinet so that I could use it for paper to be recycled, which would necessitate an outlet inside the trash cabinet as well. Is there room inside the cabinet to accommodate that?
    ...See More

Can you recommend or advise against pull-out trash system? Rev-A-

Q

Comments (10)
    After having a trash compactor for the last 30 or more years, we are now back to trash cans in the new remodel. It would have been nice to have a pull-out, but our space is limited so we don't. The cans are under the sink and so far that is working OK. One of the things I made a conscious decision about was to not use plastic trash can liners. Do you really need them? Our garbage goes in either the compost bin, we have a stainless dog food bowl to collect garbage waiting to go out, or the garbage disposal. Trash goes in one can and recyclables in another. I make an effort to put wet stuff, especially meat trays, in the middle of the can. We did have drippy stuff from a bean can down the side of the recycle can recently, but I just emptied the can, took it to the outside hose and rinsed it out. It sat outside for a couple of hours until it dried. So far this is working for me. No smell, no mess, no plastic. I also take my own bags shopping, but still collect enough incidental plastic bags to deal with cleaning the cat litter box. I guess if this became yukky I would use the compostable plastic liners, but I really don't want to, and so far so good. I have to mention that I live in a climate where running out to the outside trash whenever I want to is rarely a problem.
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    15 years ago

Ours is door-mounted and I can't imagine having it any other way. It's great. I'm sure it's much better than having to open a door (all the way for good clearance), then pull out the trash...I think that would be extra messy.

• izbit
    15 years ago

The horizontal handle on the garbage pull-out also helps people who are visiting figure out which door hides the trash.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I door mounted mine, did not remove the knob and didn't have to, and I love it. Would not go back to before I mounted the door.

Sue

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

Does anybody have pictures of their door-mounted under-sink trash can? I'm on the fence because I think it might look weird to have a horizontal handle on one half of the sink cabinet with a vertical handle on the other half.

• User
    15 years ago

Here is my door mounted trash pullout. You'll never even notice the difference. I used the cabinet door handle because it's easy to grab with one finger.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Sorry to sound ignorant, guess I am... what does, "door mounted" mean? Thanks for helping me understand the lingo as I am in the process of demo as we speak, so I had better know what to ask for!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Door mounted simply means that whatever is holding the trash bin is connected to the door, so that when you pull the door open, the trash automatically comes out. This is as opposed to opening a door, and then sliding out the bin in a separate motion. A door mounted trashbin opens like a drawer, the whole door comes straight out with the bin attached. The other way, it's a regular cabinet door which opens to the right or left on hinges.

When I say, "whatever is holding the trash bin", I mean that the bins can hang from rails connected to the door, or sit on a bottom shelf which is connected to the door.

I've never seen a door mounted bin under a sink. The only way I've ever seen it is in a separate cabinet. That's not to say it can't be done though.

I have a pull out (door mounted) bin and love it. I also have the foot pedal which makes it hands free and can't live without that. Hands free trash was a non-negotiable item for me. With the non-door mounted, you have to use your hand to open the cab door, then use your hand to pull out the trash - twice touching surfaces with potentially dirty hands. Some people are ok with this and just want their trashbin hidden in the cab, but for me hands free was a must, and for that I think you'd have to have the pull out door mounted with the pedal.

And when guests come over and ask me where the trash is I just tell them it's where the pedal is. But I also do have a horizontal drawer pull on that cab like I do on the drawers, as opposed to a knob which I have on regular door cabinets.

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

Ugh, sure wish I had seen this discussion several months ago when we were still in the planning stages. We wanted the trash to hide under a counter but I wasn't really paying attention when my architect specified the cabinets, and this issue just wasn't on my radar yet. Instead of door-mounted, what I ended up with is setup where you have to open TWO cabinet doors, then pull out the trash can on sliding rails. Instead of pull out/push in it will be open door/open other door/pull out trash can/push in trash can/close door/close door. It would be so much better if I could just pull the trash out with one hand, toss in trash (or sweep it off the counter) with the other, then push it closed again with the first hand. I can see already that this is going to drive me nuts, for exactly the reasons lowspark outlines...

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses so far. It sounds like it's worth going ahead with the door mount. My hardware is already attached so I might see if it will work without moving the handle because I'm concerned about leaving holes.

buehl - Thanks such a quick detailed response. Have you made a decision about which foot pedal you're getting?

mominthedubc - Door mounted means that the cabinet door is attached to the trash pull-out so you simply pull on the cabinet door and it pulls straight out. My pull-out is attached at the bottom of the cabinet so a door mount would look something like this.

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

Can you please keep me posted how it works with the handle mounted on the side instead of in the middle?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

The only foot pedal that I've been able to find is by Hafele.

For top rail mount: http://www.trashcansandmore.com/Hafele-502.15.220-YQ1005.html

For "drawer box" mount: http://www.trashcansandmore.com/Hafele-502.15.113-YQ1004.html

Note: This is not the only online site that sells these.

• jache723
    15 years ago

you can do a pull out on a sink base?

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

I thought I've seen someone do a pull-out on a sink base before. I have all the parts and it fits, but have not committed to mounting it to the door yet.

The trash can sits on the a pull-out with tracks that mount to the bottom of the sink cabinet. There's a door-adaptor kit that then connects the door front to the trash can. (Similar to the picture someone posted above) I would have to remove the hinges from the door to make it work though.

• sdatlanta
    15 years ago

Hi
    Would you mind showing or telling me where the door pedal would go and how it would work? Would it work on a tilt-out mounting, or could it also work on a slide-out mount? I am having trouble visualizing it. Thanks.

• auntiebubba
    15 years ago

gozalyn - I don't have a picture of the hardware placement, but our under sink trash pullout has the knob installed in the same manner as the rest of the cabinet doors in the kitchen (upper corner of the door). If it were a single door cabinet we would have installed a single horizontal pull; but as a double door cabinet with a door mounted pull-out on only one side of the sink it would have been awkward to put a knob or pull in the center of the cabinet. The pullout (Rev-a-shelf) opens easily with just the one knob so it works out nicely for us.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

To give you an idea, check the thread linked below.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0818331128550.html

Check the pictures linked in the last post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Foot Pedal for Trash OR Tapmaster?

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buehl - Thanks for the great info and link!

• Amina
    15 years ago

We now have a Rev-a-shelf door-mounted unit and it works beautifully!

• antss
    15 years ago

For under the sink - this is the only way to go! The bin's weight is supported by the cabinet's side and base, ther is a little "keeper" that attaches to the door to pull the unit out when you open the door. Mounting a can to the door may tax the hinges especially if the bin is large and/or the door is wide.

FWIW - there is a kick lever option for this.

chefkev's suggestion doesn't work under the majority of sinks, but is great in it's own cabinet as a primary can.

Here is a link that might be useful: sink trash bin

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I have a door mounted pull out under my sink and it works great, I installed it myself, it is one of the more expensive Rev-a-shelf versions and I don't have a horizontal handle on it, I have a knob in the corner matching the other side of the sink. It works great, you would never know it was there. I will take photos tomorrow or the next day if it would be helpful. Remind me if I forget. :)

Sue

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sue_ct - would love to see a picture if it's not too much trouble.

antss - It was a little tricky finding a trash pull-out that would fit under my sink along with the plumbing and garbage disposal, especially as I have a 33" sink base instead of the typical 36". But I did find a rev-a-shelf one that mounts to the bottom of the cabinet. I had to get one designed to hold 2 pails (they're less wide) and then remove the back pail which won't fit due to the plumbing. It doesn't have a lid like yours, but it holds a 35 qt pail which is close to twice as big as the one you posted. If I hadn't found it, yours was the next option I would have gone for.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

OK, I wasn't sure they would be of any help since I reread your original post and it said you had already installed one. Mine had some challenges since I have the Franke Orca sink and the drain is in the middle rather than on one side, so the pullout actually had to slide under the GD and the garbage can had to be positioned so that it would fit in FRONT of the GD. This was about the only one I could find that would fit all those restrictions. Since a second garbage can won't fit due to the GD, I use the extra space for soap bottle that the NeverMT is hooked to so it gives me easy access when it needs to be changed. It pulls out very easily and smoothly even with the knob in the upper corner of the door.

I lined the sink base with a very heavy liner in case of leaks and to make spills easy to clean up. It worked wonderfully in my old kitchen when I did have a leak. This stuff saved my old sink base and it was nice and clean under the liner when I removed it for demo. :) I taped it down so the pullout wouldn't get caught on it and pull it out too, a problem when I first layed it down.

Sue

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I would make sure the pullout you have is sturdy and pulls out smoothly before adding the door. However, I also don't think I would have actually pulled it out very often if the door wasn't attached, I would probably just stick my in and drop the trash into most of the time like I did with the trash under there and no pullout. I do think it is a lot nicer and more useful with the door attached.

JMHO

Sue

• auntiebubba
    15 years ago

chefkev - I installed the same pull-out (under a 33" sink too). The door mount is very sturdy and easy to install and your vertical handle won't cause any stress on it as the unit is light and glides very smoothly. You will find it much easier to access the trash bin with the door mount.

If I remember correctly, the door mount kit was only $15 at Lowes so if you end up not liking it you can always uninstall it with minimal financial loss!

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sue_ct - Thanks for your pics. Love how you did the NeverMT. I'm going to see if mine will fit like that.

auntiebubba - Thanks! It's super to know you have the same one and it's working. I'm ready to go out and buy the kit.

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

Is this a stupid question... For those of you that have the door mounted and a foot pedal (or not a foot pedal?) couldn't you just hook your toes up under the bottom of the cabinet door and pull the cabinet open with your foot?? I, too, want a hands free pull out trash, but I'm thinking you wouldn't need the pedal mechanism. Right? I'm still in design mode so I can't test this out in real life.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I certainly wouldn't do that to my new cabinets. It would get the cabinet dirty, it would cause wear to the bottom that would look worn over time, and wouldn't it be hard to do in stocking feet or bare feet?

Wait. I have full overlay doors and bare feet, let me go try...

but yes, it is possible. :) Not as hard as I thought and shame on you for teaching me this!

:)

Sue

• lowspark
    15 years ago

couldn't you just hook your toes up under the bottom of the cabinet door and pull the cabinet open with your foot??

No, I can't. I have frameless cabs and the door doesn't extend into the toe kick. Plus I have to agree with Sue that this would probably tend to make the bottom of that door look dirty and worn out within a few years.

• tbugera
    15 years ago

I think sue_ct has a great point.
    For testing I taped a piece of cardboard on the bottom inside of the door where my garbage is. The cardboard protrudes no more than 1/4 inch, you can only see it if you get on your knees and it is enuf to catch the top of your shoe or sock on. I would get a piece of stainless when I install it permanently.

It works fine and I don't think any wear will be noticeable because it will be in the inside leading edge and that is were the permanent piece will be and that piece of stainless will take the most abuse. I am sold.

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Because I had a 33" sink base I had to buy some extra washers to get the door to line up properly. I found the install to be a little tricky, but I love it, love it, love it door mounted and would never go back! Thanks everyone for the advice & encouragement!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

Chefkev. So glad to hear you love it. May we see a pic of it installed?

TIA

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bdaykitchen - Here's the finished pic.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Chefkev,

So your cabinet door was already installed on your sink base, right? And then you just removed the hinges and installed the door to the trash pullout?

I installed a floor mounted trash pullout under the sink in my kitchenette this week and it is already seeming so inefficient to open the cab, pullout the trash, close the cab.

I need to check and see if I can retrofit. My space under the sink is tiny so I have the smallest Rev a Shelf pullout under there, the 20 qt one.

Anita

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Chefkev, isn't the door mount a wonderful thing? :) It looks great, I am glad it is working out so well for you.

Anita,

My pullout is floor mounted, and I do think most if not all can have a door mount kit added. The door mount just provides a convenient way of pulling out a side or floor mounted unit.

By the way, for those who think they can't fit a pullout under the sink, the double trash pullouts with a floor rather than side mount can actually work more easily in some space challenged sink bases than the single trash pullouts. The reason is that the GD and plumbing take up room, and most single pullouts turn the trash can so it has to go deeper into the sink base and there is often not enough room in a smaller sink base without the trash can hitting on the GD or plumbing, and preventing it from closing fully. The double pullouts turn the trash so that they can fit one behind the other. By purchasing one of those, you can remove the second can and slide the back of the pullout UNDER the GD and plumbing, and the front trash can is at the front of the cabinet and in front of the GD and plumbing. By getting a smaller double, you should be able to find one that will fit within most door openings as well. The biggest problem is that the needed measurements are not usually provided by the manufacturer for that type of installation so a small risk may need to be taken. Measuring from the lowest part of the plumbing/GD to the floor of the sink cabinet will tell you how much space you have to slide the back of the pullout into. Asking people here who have different pullouts to measure how high that part of the pullout is will tell you if a particular model will work, or anyone could call someone who sells it and has it in hand and ask if they will obtain the needed measurements for them. Just a tip for those with small kitchens who would like to try to fit in a couple of the conveniences that the big kitchen crowd get to play with. :) I hope you don't mind my using your thread to share it, chefkev.

Sue

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Chefkev...which Rev-A-Shelf trash pullout did you install under your sink?

• chefkev
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nomorebluekitchen - Yes, I retrofitted by removing the hinges and installing the cabinet door to the trash pullout using the matching Rev-A-Shelf door mount kit. Just like you said, without the door mount it seemed a little inefficient, but once I started using the door mount I realized it's a lot inefficient. Just like everyone here told me - it's so much nicer and no downsides!

You may be able to fit in a larger trash pullout than you think. They also come in 27 Qt and 35 Qt sizes. Read sue_ct's great post directly following yours religiously. She beautifully describes exactly what I eventually figured out and did.

The cool thing about the door mount kit is that it allows for both up & down and side to side fine adjustment after primary installation. I did need to measure and plan very carefully beforehand so that I put the screws in the right places and only put one set of holes in my brand new cabinets. It took me a while to get it installed right because most people are better at spacial relations than I am; but the good news is that If I can do it, you can too. I'm posting one last picture so you can see I did get the cabinet doors to line up almost perfectly afterwards with just enough space in between for smooth sliding in and out.

buehl - I purchased the "Rev-A-Shelf Double 35 Qt Pull-out Waste Containers" (RV-18PBC-17-5) from Menard's and then the RV-DM17KIT-5 door mount kit. The trash containers look gray to me, but are described as silver. When I look on-line, mainly I see model RV-18PBC-17-600 with door mount kit RV-DM17KIT-600. These look identical to what I got so I'm wondering if Menards and Lowes just get the exact same item from Rev-A-Shelf with their own model #. Depending where you look, the trash pails can come in white, black or silver.