SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Slab cabinets in a traditional/transitional kitchen?

eleena
11 years ago

Is that a contradiction?

The house is sort of transitional. It has 9'-10' ceilings (depending on the room) and three arched door-ways from the living room to other parts of the house. The thing that makes it "traditional" is six-panel doors and the trim work more elaborate than in contemporary/modern houses.

The kitchen has an "Italian" flavor due to a brick cove around the cooktop area. The kitchen will be gutted except for that enclosure.

The problem is that I am retro-modern addict and love contemporary style. :-) I have tried really hard, but the only door style I like is slabs. :-(

I have been thinking of going with slab doors for upper drawers on base cabinets and some version of shaker style for larger drawers and cabinet doors.

But I keep hoping that it might be possible to do all slabs. Would that clash with the "traditional" feel of the kitchen?

(BTW, the bottom part of the built-in armoire in the bedroom has all slab drawers with rounded edges and it looks "just fine".)

I don't want to post pix b/c the kitchen is too recognizable and it is a more "theoretical question" anyway. If you know of/have seen traditional kitchens with slab cabinets, please let me know. I have searched and couldn't find anything meaningful.

TX!

Comments (11)