SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Where do you store your silverware? (How to solve this problem?)

artemis78
13 years ago

Geographically, that is? Close to the dishwasher, close to the dishes, close to the eating area, or maybe none/all of these...?

I'm trying to figure out where we should store our silverware because I need to decide whether to ask our cabinetmaker to make our top drawers shallower than he's currently planning.

We will have two types of cabinets: an L of frameless cabinets where top drawers will all be the same depth, whatever it is, so that they align, and a bank of flush inset cabinets across from the L, which will have shallower top drawers because they are inset and have separate cutting board slots on top of them. Frameless top drawers are currently slated to be 5.5" deep inside, which seems far too deep for silverware but possibly useful for utensils or junk drawers; framed cabinet top drawers will currently be 3.5"-4" deep inside.

I want all the frameless top drawers the same size, obviously, but the original plan called for using one drawer next to the sink for silverware (close to dishwasher) and the other two for cooking utensils. So there's a conflict there in terms of how shallow those drawers should be, though it does put the silverware close to the dishwasher to make it easy to put away.

Alternatively, we can store our silverware across the room in the top drawers that will already be shallower. This puts the silverware right under the trial dish storage location---close to the fridge, near the stove and dining room where we eat, but 9 feet from the dishwasher.

Is it better to have silverware and dishes close to each other? How about close to the dishwasher versus close to the stove/fridge? Any ideas?? Thanks!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH